Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Did anyone in the US hear about their big box being shipped??

2. sfligio

sfligio Forum Resident

I think that the unofficial Last Flight from Glasgow is a soundboard mix, but I'm certain that Mpl have the multitrack from that night (and probably for other dates)

3. That's really stupid receiving today an email from Paul McCartney.com telling that "Wild Life", "Red Rose Speedway" and "Wings 1971/73" are out and that you can buy them via paulmccartney.com when the BBB is more than a month that is sold out...

4. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

No, not yet. Live Europe first and that was fab. I'm on Wild Life bonus audio now. So much to absorb and so little time. Have got to take a break soon for things in the the real world. I think that the McMouse will be possibly a late night watch tonight when things are quiet.

5. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I got the same thing, at that same moment I received a text from my CC...apparently they were being cautious and asked me if this was me making this charge (since its large). I told them it was and I was told the merchant would need to run it again. I'm pissed that they wont just try on their own. I frantically emailed them, but I have no better way to tell them to rerun it. Of course I'm panicking over here. Not happy

6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

A wonderful live set and I am so glad I jumped when I did. It was the first thing I played and I've had a smile on my face ever since. I'm jealous of your luck in experiencing the early gig but this is a superb consolation prize however late!

7. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

8. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Yes, received an email from PM.com confirming my big box had shipped.

dormouse likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So....I'm assuming the 'BIG BOY' is getting a second pressing?.....
    Why else would I get an e-mail about it's existence...except to 'rub-it-in-my-face'!

dormouse likes this.
  10. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

Wild Life in rough mix, the song has no intro, so no "The word wild... etc"

11. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I think that you may be OK. Mine had a sealed plastic outer bag, a solid box, with cardboard spacers inside to protect the actual set box and that was also shrink-wrapped in plastic. Hopefully there is enough protection there even if it gets wet. I understand the fretting but I think you may be alright. You are in for a treat when you get home. Dip into the live set, it is really good.

12. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I also got the email with a "Click here to buy" link going straight to the sold out page...

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Well my big box has just landed and it’s the first time when ordering from macca’s site ( as they was no choice but to do so) that I’ve received the set on release day so thank you and well done. The books/ whole package looks to be quite outstanding.
    Number 02668 if anyone’s counting. As it’s sold out I wonder how many were made. I guess selling up to my number is pretty impressive at this price?

peace and love✌Dave

14. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Oh and no coming soon cards!

peace and love✌Dave

dormouse likes this.
  15. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

A couple Qs:

1. Any comments on the Wild Life Roughs?
    2. How is the outerbox of the big box? Flimsy or secure?
    3. In the Big Box, what is numbered? Is it all 4 components, and if so, do they all have the same number?

theMess, OobuJoobu and cmi like this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I never got around to listening to “Dear Friend “ after you posted about it but I have the original album and the Fame CD so I probably wouldn’t have heard the cymbal sound you don’t like on your CD .

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks @Yorick, I was most interested in these Early Mixes and glad to hear they are from the Ram sessions! While they were at it, they should’ve also thrown in the Ram mix of A Love For You.....ah, you can’t have them all, can you? :)

theMess, tug_of_war and Yorick like this.
  18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I got that too, but it does say sold out on the big box set! I am sympathetic for those who missed out. I don't know what the answer is with these decisions. Someone gets upset whatever happens. I think that we will get some sort of live set at some point but how they manage it I have no idea. I did order the big box and have listened to the live in Europe set. It is a great live compilation and really should have a wider release. I'm really happy with the set but I do feel for those who either missed out or could not justify the cost. The set is a very well curated one and the attention to detail is wonderful. To a lot of people though it is a very expensive release.

streetlegal and vince like this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I think MPL will reconsider their game plan when everybody ends up with Wings Over Europe for free anyway. It'd be naive for any of us to think that WOE won't hit the internet within the next week (probably the next 48 hours, really).

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You know what.. I don't think MPL planned for the Archive Collection to get this far. I need to marshall my thoughts (and probably post in the general Archive Collection thread) but I strongly suspect that the original intention was to issue that first set of albums (the ones that appeared on the original Coming Soon cards) and to see what happened after that. (This would explain why we got wind of the long term plan in those coming soon cards, but have not had any advanced warning of future releases since.)

I think that MPL identified that first batch of albums as likely winners from a commercial and creative-reappraisal perspective but weren't sure how the rest of the catalogue would be perceived, so adopted a release and reassess approach. They tried Tug of War and Pipes of Peace and got a good response, so they went for Flowers. That got a good response, so they've decided to have another go with WL and RRS. If these go well, we'll get another batch.

The point being that, when MPL chose material for Ram they had no idea or expectation that they'd release a Wild Life box, so we got the final version on Ram (which IS logical if you're not expecting to have another place to issue it). Come RRS, MPL has a problem if it wants to issue the original double-album configuration because that includes Little Woman Love. So they give us the final version to fit that element of the project and throw in an early version as a bonus because they now have nowhere else to put it.

The failure isn't one of logic, its one of planning or - to be fairer to MPL - belief in their catalogue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Well yes and no. There is a card which implies more releases in the series, it just doesn't say what or when!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

As a purchaser of the Big Box, I'd be more than happy with a repress if the price is consistent. My gripe is with the tactic of selling at a high price on the basis of scarcity and then selling at a lower price with a second pressing.

23. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Yeah she then told me after I frantically phoned her that it’s in a blue bag. 5pm cannot come soon enough.... hopefully the family will dig an evening of Wings...

24. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Got a couple emails The it's shipping. Nothing traceable yet. Order status changed from "logistics" to "complete."

25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I told you last night.....amazing!! So happy with the live set. Now if only my box would arrive