Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, now we wait for word of any US sightings of the Mega Box

Mr. Explorer and marklamb like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ooooooooh....keep it on the 'QT'...but, keep me posted.....please....
    not the most 'internet-savvy' one....

3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

1. Haven't got to the roughs yet!
    2. The outer box is heavy corrugated card. It is not what I would call flimsy. You will be OK with it, I think.
    3. The bottom of the main outer box is numbered and each of the components is individually numbered with the same number. Mine is 1211 on all four pieces. All very nicely done.

4. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

1. Not played yet
    2. Big and strong in my opinion, even cushioned at the bottom of the box
    3. The main box and the two sets are numbered, all the same and 01252 for mine

5. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I wrote to Udiscover about the BIG BARN BOX and they say shipping is planned for Dec 14th.

6. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I understand having Country Dreamer in the boxset since it was on the original Double album, and that's completely okay!
    But why re-putting it in the 2 CDs version?
    And why re-putting Little Woman Love in its final version which we already got?
    That's waste of CD time, they could have replaced them in the 2CDs version by 1882 studio version for example

Tord, whisper3978, cmi and 1 other person like this.
  7. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

So the "Outtakes" are taken out of... Rock'n'Roll Jams??? :eek:
    :realmad: we want the freaking Jams!! Not the acoustic snippets played between them!!

8. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

same here.

9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. I'd like everyone to have the chance to hear the Live in Europe set. It is great and should not be limited to those who jumped quickly enough. The politics of it all is difficult. Someone will get upset or feel used. We'll see I guess and no-doubt it will keep postings high on this forum!

streetlegal and marklamb like this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

You'll be fine and you have a wonderful evening ahead of you!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  11. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Just got home from downtown with "Wild Life" and "Red Rose Speedway" (regular album + bonus version) on vinyl. The record shop didn't receive the Reconstructed version, so that will have to wait until sometime next week.

Unpacking both sets I'm surprised at how different they look compared to the originals. "Wild Life" has the solo picture of Paul on the back, while the band drawing and liner notes are moved to a new 10" booklet insert which also has photo outtakes, lyrics and credits.

"Red Rose Speedway" still has a booklet but it's slightly different from the original. The lyrics are now spread over two inside pages, and the back where the lyrics used to be there's a live picture of Paul. There's also a couple more new-to-me full page photos of Paul and band elsewhere in the booklet. All the old elements are there, including the naughty drawings and photos (kind of a surprise in these PC times).

Mr. Explorer and dormouse like this.
  12. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Mine has arrived, beautifully packaged and in perfect condition. Assuming they are all packaged the same, which of course they should be, then this should ease others fears of damaged deliveries. Fingers crossed for everyone else who has ordered the Big Box - just make sure you have your back support on when it's handed over!

Only had a chance to give it the once over, but I feel it even outshines the Wings Over America set, which has probably been the previous benchmark for this series. Its quite simply stunning.

I won't have a chance to go through it today unfortunately, but the next couple of days are now fully mapped out. Me and Bruce McMouse are going to have great weekend!

13. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Strangely, I got the exact same reply!

backseat likes this.
  14. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Having said that, it's certainly a big jump from getting a cd copy of an album that wasn't initially well received, while still enjoying it.
    To getting a big deluxe boxs et of said album.

I really can't justify spending that much money on an album like "Wilf Life", or on the even more expensive "Red Rose Speedway" set.
    I am also not that excited about getting a dvd and blue-ray copies of a previously unreleased cartoon.

As far as I can tell from the tracklistings, I can sure live without the "Wild Life" rough mixes.
    Tho there might be some more stuff, other then rough takes, on the "Red Rose Speedway" set that I will be missing out on by just obtaining the 2cd version.

For now I will be picking up the lp version of "Wild Life" and the original 2 LP version of "Red Rose Speedway" before deciding on which cd versions to get.

15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Here’s my review of Bruce McMouse’s contents:

Bruce McMouse’s starts with some Thrillington audio of Admiral Halsey, which would have seen it’s first release had the movie been released.
    Then we see Paul and band in the dressing room, with Paul announcing their show.
    A Dutch introduction similar to The Mess (live) announces the band. The first song is the studio version of Big Barn Bed, with the band miming to it. Seemingly without an audience. Then the cartoon starts, followed by a real live version of Eat At Home. Great! then some more cartoon animation and then a live version of Bip Bop.
    Then a great live version of The Mess different to the single version. Most of the live footage seems to be from a film studio with audience nouse dubbed in, but here and there there’s some real live footage as in The Mess. Paul’s song announcements are silly, since he’s doing them in an obviously empty studio. The live footage of Wild Life is the video seen in the Paul McCartney VHS from 1986.
    There’s some footage of Paul and Linda riding their horses and herding their sheep in Schotland. A live version of Mary Had A Little Lamb is up next, followed up by Blue Moon of Kentucky. No animation to be seen since Eat At Home, but there’s some during and after Blue Moon again. The next number is a live version of I Am Your Singer. So many great live versions here! Wonder if they overlap with the Wings Over Europe cd! Interesting to see I Am Your Singer is more of a duet with Denny live. Next up is a scene of the band interacting with animation characters,followed by Seaside Woman. Sounds like they mimed to the studio version. After some more animation featuring Thrillington’s Admiral Halsey music and interaction with the band there’s a live version of My Love from the same show as Wild Life. There’s an overdubbed studio mellotron part.
    After some interaction between the band and a character there’s a rousing live version of Maybe I’m Amazed that’s not inferior to it’s 1976 incarnation. Next up one of the animation characters sings a bit of My Love, followed by a rocking live version of Hi Hi Hi. Taken at the same show as Wild Life and My Love. We might have to reevaluate when Paul was at the absolute peak of his live vocal powers. 76? 79? It might well be 72/73! This might be the best live Hi Hi Hi I ever heard. Next up is an edited but rocking Long Tall Sally, which closes the movie. There’s one more scene with Paul.
    Accprding to the credits it seems that a lot of work was done on this version. It might be different from it’s original incarnation.

16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Have we had the first US landing of the mega box yet?

17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

They are all very individually designed and presented. Great, I think. Wild Life, low tech cardboard outer slip case, RRS glossy metallic. Both sets are very well appointed and curated, as is the Live Europe book with programme. Plenty to dive into as you listen or read and view later. This is going to reward getting absorbed in. Lots of detail, such as the Wild Life LP label story, and I even noticed a photo with a sign in the background reading Mamunia (possibly with an slightly alternative spelling). I had no clue previously where this word came from!

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  18. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And while we are distracted by these shiny new boxed sets, something hiding in the wings waiting to be illuminated!!

Hope you haven't spent all your money!

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Didn't "Magneto And Titanium Man" also have a similar glitch of a repeating half-second on the Venus & Mars Archive set?

21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Wow, that's a bad edit.

:confused::yikes:

daveidmarx likes this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

A McCartney fan? :shtiphat:

theMess likes this.
  23. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Will the spotlight get turned on today, or can I get back to work until next week?

24. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Will this item be illuminated before or after Christmas?

theMess, FKA002 and Yorick like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I’ve said it time after time -the Wings 72 shows captured Paul at an absolute vocal peak. Mind you -WOA is stunning but the 72 version of Maybe Im amazed is imo even greater. It s great this thing finally is out and I so lookin forward to my set.