The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Exactly. I've seen folks never even make it out of the parking lot and into the show. :p

Galactus2 likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What are you talking about???

3. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Steve Earle & The Dukes, somewhere around here in mid 00's. Dullest band I've ever heard.

4. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

I must be a sucker for live music, or I don't pick them too bad, but I think I've always found some enjoyment in the shows I've been to! Even Dylan a couple of years ago, first time seeing him, not sure I'd go again though as he looked like a hologram of himself, good band though and cool guitar player with a nice blue guitar!

moople72 likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Foo Fighters. Was at a festival so I didn't have to pay. Like watching a dullards rally.

carlwm likes this.
  6. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

my first ever gig was UB40. my dad had a spare ticket. i went, it was bloody awful. it put me off live music for life

Alternative4 likes this.
  7. GK

GK Forum Resident

Just saw them last night. They were very good...but not exciting at all.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Where and when?

I've seen them twice - once in an arena and once at a festival against the front barrier.

The 2nd was the HOTTEST show I've ever been to - when they came on it was like someone flipped a lightswitch labeled "ENERGY".

They were phenomenal.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Sting on the Ten Summoner’s Tales Tour a real smooth jazz snoozer.

10. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

This must be one of the greatest things ever posted. Along with a comment I saw on a Bread video once on Youtube about them being Satanists. Hilarious.

carlwm and warewolf95 like this.
  11. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Emerson Lake and Palmer at the long demolished Cardiff Capitol Theatre UK in 1971. If you liked their music as a friend who persuaded me to go see them did, then I suppose they were fine. Problem was that I'd never heard them before, was bored stiff and glad when it was all over.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've never been as impressed by the Foos as you were, but the notion they'd put on a boring show also perplexes me.

Maybe "dullards" was meant as an insult to the intelligence of those in attendance...

BluesOvertookMe and warewolf95 like this.
  13. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

This is the saddest thing I have ever read.

14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

(re: Steve Earle)
    A bands energy is important to me both on record and live. So I have a low tolerance for boring. Steve Earle and band kept me interested (a week ago).

I just saw the F Fighters this past summer. The only complaint is that Grohl maybe talked too much (between songs). Other was it was fine. Not boring.
    Earle talked a bit also, but he was more interesting. (I find Grohl interesting enough in interviews)

edit - I need to find another word besides "interesting"

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Sky
    Wolverhampton Civic Hall
    sometime in the early 1980's

Far and way the dullest evening of music I have ever attended.
    My girlfriend at the time was at college in Wolverhampton, and she bought the tickets as a surprise when I went to visit her one weekend.
    The musicianship was excellent, as was the sound, but it was not an evening that raised the spirits.
    I politely returned her enthusiasm during the concert and afterwards, but inwardly I was empty.

16. GK

GK Forum Resident

Interesting reply. Earle talked a lot and pissed a bunch of conservatives off, but most of the crowd was with him. I'm trying to put my finger on it...what was lacking. Very professional. Maybe too professional for the rugged Steve Earle songs. I love his Celtic-style stuff, and those were the songs that noticeably lacked punch. The people I went with were pretty conservative politically, and Earle's comment sparked some interesting post concert discussion...so there's that.

17. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I preferred the beginning of the set when he did Copperhead Road. He is almost on the edge of being too country/folk-y for me. But I still enjoyed the concert.
    Agree that any celtic (The Pogues) influence on his music is a plus.

Your comment about being maybe too professional kind of brings up a different topic - When would you rather see a band? Early when they have the youthful energy? Or later when they have the chops (professional, experience, paid the dues, whatever)?

18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Shame you didn't see them in the 90s when they were terrific. Very different band now.

TonyG likes this.
  19. GK

GK Forum Resident

Great question. Just saw Courtney Barnett...pretty young and I suppose still trying to prove herself...she was a blast. I love Alejandro Escovedo live...he changes up his band regularly which brings an element of...something...not polished? It's a plus in my book.
    Saw them in 1996...I Feel Alright....first show of that tour. GREAT show.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  20. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I was at that gig. It was great. Vividly remember it.

21. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Didn’t know any of the songs. Looking forward to the ones I knew.

22. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Actually it may have been a bit later. Trilogy was out at the time.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like when Grohl talks - he's genuinely funny, so those moments are often the best parts of the show! :)

24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

In the 90's Earle had a better repertoire, too

harmonica98 likes this.
  25. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed it. My friend thought it was great too. Afraid ELP just weren't my cup of tea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.