No FM Yagi Antennas?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

Went shopping for either Winegard HD-600 and Antennacraft FM-6 outdoor yagi antenna. Both are discontinued and cannot find any outdoor FM antennas. I do not want a TV antenna that is not correctly made for the FM broadcast band. Are FM yagi antennas completely discontinued?

2. FM antennas are getting difficult to find. But this guy has an FM model in stock FM 2500HD Long Range outdoor FM Radio Antenna

I find the disappearance of aerial FM antennas puzzling, since it's the only aerial broadcast bandwidth these days that doesn't require a digital decoder box, and most home TVs have long since been hooked up to cable networks. And because without a decent antenna, it's nearly impossible to benefit from a high-end FM tuner.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

If you're handy with tools and have the time you could build one of your own. I'm a ham radio geek and have built a few in my day. You should be able to find a site that will give you step by step directions.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

McLover likes this.
  5. Some specs for of an antenna I used to own- the now discontinued Channel Master 4408 (later 3025, also no longer made), one of the best. Including the spacing between elements, and some other numbers that are beyond me Channel Master Stereo Probe 9

6. allied333

N8FVJ is my ham call. I can build one, just wanted to buy it already built.

JNTEX and McLover like this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

@Warren Jarrett was talking about coming up with a nice quality antenna he could market.

8. allied333

9. allied333

TV yagi type directional antennas rated for FM have virtually no gain. A simple twin lead indoor antenna will outperform the TV antennas. The TV antennas are cut element length wise for lowest frequency of 174mHz. FM highest frequency is 108mHz. The TV antenna is far away frequency wise for FM use and would also have a terrible SWR (frequency match) for FM broadcast. The 3 element antenna listed above has elements starting at 55" wide. A TV antenna are about 34" maximum width. It requires a much wider (longer) elements for FM use.

TheDailyBuzzherd and JNTEX like this.
  10. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I once picked up a Hi-Fi book in the local public library which had some instructions on building your own. There was even a formula for calculating the correct length of the elements based on the broadcast frequency of your local BBC Radio 3 transmitter. Back when this particular book was printed the FM waveband in the UK consisted of three national BBC stations taking up a block of the dial from about 87 to 94 MHz, plus a few local stations a little higher up the dial running on low power. Radio 3, the classical and arts station, was in the middle of the national block. The rest of the FM waveband was used by the police and other mobile communications services.

11. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I ran into the same problem a few months back, I ended up repairing my old FM6 antenna and have never looked back. We have a couple really good FM stations here in New Orleans and I find my self listening more and more... if you go to Brian Brezzy's website you will find all the info needed to build a good antenna..

TheDailyBuzzherd and Gumboo like this.
  12. bluesaddict

Cool another ham. K0PMO is my call. Already built isn't a bad way to go. I live over a ridge away from fort Collins here in Colorado so getting 105.5 is kinda tuff. Outside is the best way to go that and my Fisher 500c.

13. allied333

Cool

14. k6sti

k6sti Active Member

Panama Hotel likes this.
  15. allied333

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, you can buy Kathrein/Scala translator antennas, expensive but the best.

17. k6sti

k6sti Active Member

JNTEX likes this.
  18. allied333

19. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

21. bluesaddict

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  22. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

23. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

Wade makes some fine antennas and towers. I have a 48 ft freestanding tower made by them. Very high quality!

bluesaddict likes this.
  24. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

25. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I've been thinking of one of these for a bit, would love that gain at the 88 end because that is the tough station. If I get loud stuff 90 degrees away, I assume I can still tune decent but would not have much gain.

Or do I need a hand crank to aim it at the tower?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.