Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm picking up the vinyl next week from my local shop and giving it a try. I want to hear this cranked on my own system and then pass judgement so to speak, but at least I will give them an honest chance. The reviews are coming out and have all been good, at least the ones I saw.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I have the CD on pre-order and can't wait to hear it in full (Youtube has some of the songs already that I've been listening to.)

scotti likes this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All I have heard/saw is about 30 seconds of "When The Curtain Falls" video. Will have to adjust to the singers voice a little more, but have a feeling I could dig the heck out of this band. I realize they are getting some negative comments here (not all) so I am not paying attention to those posts. I try my best to stay off a thread if I do not like something, what's the point. And you know, Led Zeppelin (one of my favorites) was not exactly 100% original at their start...there just is not enough good harder style Rock coming out these days, hoping this will be a big welcome! Hoping the vinyl has some major balls to it!

neo123 likes this.
  4. Sighlence

Sighlence Well-Known Member

The new CD/Album (or whatever it’s called these days) is fantastic top to bottom. For those that think he can’t sing i suggest you have a listen to A Change is Gonna Come. To my ears, this is the best music i’ve heard in decades. I have yet to hear a song from them i don’t like. Got tickets for a show in May. Screw the haters....these kids are legit.

5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

lol, BANG. I heard 4 bars of Highway Tune...meh, its just the Bloody Rover!! You GOT to be better than that boys. I think they have talent, time will tell hopefully their sound develops. Now, its a bit too cringy, too LZ.

AcidPunk15 and FJFP like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yeah, the kid can sing. I can see the argument that he just pushes it a bit too hard at times. That’s an easy fix. Young kids are loving these guys. I’m taking 7 high school boys to Chicago on the 15th to see the show. They booked it, I’m just the adult who seemed the most appropriate chaperone I guess.

It’ll be fun just seeing these kids excited about something that’s happening now, still potentially evolving. Even the Stones started out facing a lot of haters, and a lot of fans. Who really knows? These guys seem to have plenty of both.

7. Sighlence

Sighlence Well-Known Member

Young AND old(er). I'm 52 and it's been quite some time since a band caught my ear like this. The more i listen, the more i hear. I'm hearing Joplin, Geddy and Plant as well as some other influences i can't quite put my finger on. Talent, no doubt about it. Straight up Rock. Haters gonna hate, 'cause that's what they do. I'm on board.

8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Huh, surprised to see them nominated for 4(!) Grammys, including Best New Artist. Not that the Grammys are all that great of an indicator of, well, anything, but I did find it interesting.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  9. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Label $$$

10. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh, no doubt. But lots of labels have lots of money to throw at these things. I wasn't sure that there was enough faith in relatively young kids from Frankenmuth, Michigan to get that kind of support. I know folks like to hate on 'em and I agree that they need to work out their own sound as they move forward, but good on them for getting some recognition and success.

juno6000 and aroney like this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

More often than not, they're an indicator of lameness to me. . .

DHamilton and ian christopher like this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

Yeah, I was trying not to open that whole can of worms about the relative value of the Grammys, just pointing out that they were nominated.

13. They shouldn't be allowed to use the word, 'best'.

14. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

This article from Pitchfork sums up my feelings about GVF. Yes, I know it's Pitchfork so the review will automatically be deemed as musical snobbery and harsh, but I think he raises some valid points. I think the older generation is blinded by nostalgia and the younger generation is starved for hard rock. I think they are terrible.

Greta Van Fleet: Anthem of the Peaceful Army Album Review | Pitchfork

DHamilton likes this.
  15. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

To put it in perspective, their label is owned by Universal Music Group, which currently controls 24.3% of music industry market share (as of 9/2018, just behind Warner's 25.1%). The subsidiary that distributes their records (Republic Records) is also the home of artists like Taylor Swift, Drake and Ariana Grande. No shortage of lobbying dollars under that hood.

hi_watt and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just somewhat surprised that UMG threw that much behind Greta Van Fleet, given how little attention and love rock music in general has gotten from the Grammys in recent years.

17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Fake News.

Actuarybrad and juno6000 like this.
  18. aroney

Any recognition of new ROCK is a good thing these days, whether folks like the band or not. ;)

Hopefully, they'll be able to perform on the broadcast too.

Paulwalrus, juno6000 and Actuarybrad like this.
  19. aroney

Yup, it's all about the money, never mind that they actually have REAL fans, and that numerous critics and industry-types like them too. :shh:

If they play during the show, it will be the first time I've watched the Grammy's in decades.

Paulwalrus, Actuarybrad and juno6000 like this.
  20. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I'm 52. I like them.
    Derivative?
    Probably.
    But what isn't?
    Just ordered their 2 EP CD and the first EP on vinyl.
    Have the album on vinyl already.
    More power to them!
    Rock on!

Paulwalrus, groovelocked and aroney like this.
  21. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

What a mean spirited review.
    This asshat should take a look around.
    I wonder what he thinks of Interpol ? Raveonettes? Brian Jonestown Massacre?
    I wonder if he likes Joe Jackson .AND Elvis Costello?
    Is there life after The Cure?
    Bauhaus, even?
    Get a grip.
    Its Music.
    Its not like Zeppelin didn't....um...."derive"....material from previous artists.
    Oh...no autotune or session players basically recording the whole shebang. I dig that.
    What? Not 10 writers per song? Oh the horror!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  22. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

My wife got us tickets to their upcoming performance, so we both received copies of their CD.

Eesh. Weak material. I'm neither blinded by nostalgia nor hungry for new hard rock -- if you can't find new hard rock, you're simply not even trying -- but this is a terrible record. Nickelback sensibilities refracted through the Kingdom Come discography.

23. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Lol ! The Nickelback reference is hilarious, I must say.
    Nickelbackesque...you could have coined a new term

DHamilton likes this.
  24. aroney

...and here's Pitchfork's newest writer! Nice work! :p

realkilroy, hfarrior3 and juno6000 like this.
  25. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Seriously ? Best you can do to put up a rebuttal is throw out that "fake news" nonsense ?

D.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.