Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

" There is over 1 minute of the Purple Haze solo repeated!" ………….. is in fact 12 seconds repeated section.

footlooseman and DTK like this.
  2. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Awesome shootout. For the CD you should try this one, the 1993 remaster.

Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Plays Monterey

Both the 1986 & 1993 are Joe Gaswirt, but a second crack at it reveals that Joe did a better job in '93. It's a pretty full sound. A lot of Noel's bass in this one. The sound is night and day different.

3. Gordon Johnson

I found such huge differences with the CD's in terms of content. Not one of them had all of the recording on them, I think it was a Polydor that presented the most content.

There is a Rhino(?) CD that has content on it that I did not find anywhere else.

Vinyl wise, be aware that not all the titles sound the same as different mastering engineers appear on different issues of the same titles! Plus again be aware that the US Monterey EH / Legacy [BG cut] differs from the content found on the EU pressing of the Monterey release [says BG cut but it is not].

None the less, a fine performance from the band, ranks up with my favourites of pro recorded live sets. Hearing those amplifiers struggle is a gas :) Jimi was killing them along with the audience!

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I prefer the split LP with Otis.
    Never bought the EH release, but I guess it doesn't have fake applause, like the Douglas era cd does?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Regarding the 1986 West German Monterey release:
    They have the channels backwards. Jimi’s guitar is mostly coming
    out of the right channel, should be left.
    This version has no compression.
    It actually sounds better with a bit added and with the channels swapped.

I also have one called ‘No More a Rolling Stone’ on the Purple Haze label.
    This one is excellent and it may be the longest, so maybe all the talking and everything
    is complete?? It’s 45:56.

The 2007 version is 43:11 and the 1986 is 41:24.

6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

No, ever see the Hendrix scene in Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams? Talk about black humor, aound the 2:01 mark..

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What content (comments) was on Rhino and nowhere else Gordon?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Is the Rhino the one from the Monterey box set? I have that one somewhere, need to find it.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  9. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

One of the first outings of Jimi Hendrix footage after the Monterey Film in 1969, was the 1973 D.A. Pennebaker's Keep On Rockin' with Jimi's Killing Floor, Janis' Ball & Chain as a prequel to Toronto Rock and Roll Revival film with Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. I saw it once on German TV. Never appeared commercially, not even on VHS :(

Tim Bucknall, Gordon Johnson and jhm like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

A very nice run down, thank you! I just have one quick addition. I have a DVD of A Film About Jimi Hendrix (gifted to me by a friend who had a duplicate) that has BOTH widescreen and full Screen presentations. The number on the spine is 11267. It's one of the old "flipper" discs that has widescreen on one side and full screen on the other. The case itself is printed paperboard front, back and spine shoved into a plastic frame, so it has a "latch" opening on the right and a plastic tray holder. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wanted to seek it out.

11. John Harchar

It looks like it did leak out in a few obscure places back in the 90s, but isn't readily available now. There is a video "out there" but may need to have my Ukranian girlfriend get to it, that kind of out there...

kees1954 and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

Can't remember off hand, sorry.

Yes, so maybe you can answer the questions ?

13. Gordon Johnson

Lots of both audio and visual selected highlights appear, hard to keep track. But it is often here were we find those small " extras" that don't appear on the so called full shows.

Tim Bucknall and kees1954 like this.
  14. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction. just hearing it again everytime makes me feel like it takes a minte.....

Tim Bucknall and Gordon Johnson like this.
  15. Experiencereunited

I suppose if it didn't sell so well I guess we wouldn't have so many variations. Is it too much to ask for consistent high quality for the same release?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. Experiencereunited

kees1954 likes this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I did a sound comparison a while back and the sound of that album won hands down. It sounds rich and warm. Something that got a little lost on the subsequent releases.

Tim Bucknall, kees1954 and DTK like this.
  18. John Harchar

Damn, now I really wish they'd done Killing Floor for this!

Tim Bucknall and Purple Jim like this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

The purple haze release is a boot. It is not sourced directly from tape.

I suspect it is simply lifted from the polydor 827 990-1. I guess checking song running time between both would confirm or otherwise the point.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  20. Experiencereunited

The 2004 EH CD has more chatter than the 86 Polydor and I think the 2004 is complete. 2004 contains pre Brian Jones introduction and significantly longer chatter prior to Can You See Me. More than on the EH vinyl too. Not sure about the other EH CD releases.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  21. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

There was also a standalone release in 2009 of the Blu-ray of Jimi and Otis Redding's sets from the Complete Monterey Box Set.

[​IMG]

I don't have the box. So, I don't know if there is anything different between them. The description seems the same. 5.1 mix by Eddie.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Also, a correction to the a release date.

The legacy Monterey vinyl was issued in 2014 and not 2016 as was posted earlier in the thread.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

The 4 tracks on this reprise release is the reason I advise caution. This one needs to the orivi all release rather than the reissue. The latter has poor mastering.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

It doesn't. In fact, not a lot of audience can be heard.

Tim Bucknall and DTK like this.
  25. John Harchar

The mix on Brian Jones intro is better on one of them, I want to say the 1986 Reprise one. So much so that I mixed the two intros together into one file to get it all since the one with the lower Brian intro is longer.