Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bobby Hutcherson - Spiral (Blue Note) LT series

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Donald Byrd "At the Half Note Vol. 2" Blue Note TOCJ Japan cd

Love the swinging sound and arrangements of this Byrd unit. So sad Duke Pearson left us so young.

bluemooze, Berthold, jay.dee and 7 others like this.
  3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I dont think of that sample as free jazz but maybe thats just me. On ECM confluence of the birds might be free jazz
    But most ECM artists i would not think of as free jazz. I also dont think melodic would be an adjective i would use for free jazz though there are some melodic components sometimes .
    Im not an expert here and free jazz is a vague hard to pin down kind of genre anyways.
    I do like talking about these terms though as I find it helps me see the patterns in jazz.:)
    I think of someone like Braxton as free jazz

bluejimbop likes this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well put Les. Precisely

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I doubt perfection or "technical evolution" or anything like that has anything to do with it.

I mean, just thinking of some of the new jazz albums I've really enjoyed this year, I don't think JD Allen's Love Stone features playing that's "technically more evolved" than the playing on A Love Supreme. I don't think Rudy Royston's Flatbed Buggy is "too perfect" (not that there can be degrees of perfection, something is either perfect or not perfect) compared with Saxophone Colossus or something. I don't think the Fred Hersch Trio's Live in Europe is by any measure "excessive" compared to, say Bill Evans' Sunday at the Vanguard.

There certainly are contemporary jazz albums that are in very different styles than a lot of old favorites -- Ambrose Akinmusrie's Origami Harvest, which was the one album in any genre that really knocked me out this year, is a different sort of back that the three previously mentioned albums -- it's a trumpet/keyboard/drums trio plus rapper plus string quartet performing a cycle of hybridized music. I find it absolutely enthralling in a way that nothing else enthralled me this year (and I've not had that experience before with other music from Akinmusrie or other music that blends hip hop and jazz). So, the fact that the new stuff may be in a different style of jazz might be something that keeps some fans of old jazz away from some new jazz.

Maybe there's also romance about the old that's not there with the new. And certainly there's a kind of, not a confirmation bias exactly, but you know you're listening to a classic, and you're listening to something comfortable and, maybe, familiar (at least in style if not in exact piece of music) -- much the same way many classical concertgoers seem more comfortable with old favorites than a bill of all new world premieres.

Starwanderer, Yesternow and Jacline like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

For me romantic admittedly is part of it. I love the historical context and the excitement of new forms of jazz tumbling over one another as in the 20 years post parker. But if i am honest i do romanticise it. Not sure thats a good reason but it is what it is.
    Its also easier to find great albums as they have been vetted for decades. The wheat has been sorted from the chaff compared to todays onslaught of new music
    I do listen to new stuff but only about 15% of the time

7. Lonson

"Music From Odds Against Tomorrow Played by the Modern Jazz Quartet" Blue Note cd

[​IMG]

8. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Wynton Kelly - Kelly At Midnight

Paul Chambers - Bass
    Philly Joe Jones - Drums

[​IMG]

9. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Your dad is right. :thumbsup:

Lonson likes this.
  10. Lonson

I assumed that. For over six decades he's tried to convince me of that with some success. ;)

Plus he has written six biographies, a book on how life is as a preacher, and translated hundreds of Amharic proverbs into English (with the help of Ethiopian scholar Fisseha Demodza). And a few years ago re-read the complete works of Shakespeare. As I said, he knows words.

lschwart, Marzz and Jacline like this.
  11. Lonson

Cassandra Wilson "Days Aweigh"

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz and scottpaul_iu like this.
  12. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

1) I *love* seeing Renée Fleming appear on this thread! :agree:

2) Dear Kevin, if you want a forum member to find, for example, Renée Fleming mentioned in the SH forums, please type in the information about the album to accompany the image or clip you're posting. That is very helpful. (But only if you remember to do it, my friend. It's not a prerequisite.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I was missing Tubby and I didn't even know it. Thanks for the reminder, Berthold.

Berthold and Lonson like this.
  14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:D

Berthold and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Good grief. What an accomplished man. Amazing, Lon!

Lonson likes this.
  16. Lonson

[​IMG]

"Erik Satie and Friends" Original Album Collection box set, disc 2

It's all mono material so far but exquisitely mastered.

17. Lonson

Yes, he cast a big shadow, so big that I had to put a lot of miles between us when we were both younger so that I could become myself, and not be "Reverend Armstrong's son, COMMA, Lon." Now I'm so lucky to be close to him and have great times helping him but also just hanging out.

lschwart, Fender Relic and Jacline like this.
  18. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Playing Andrew Hill now. I love his oeuvre without reservation. That doesn't mean that I don't understand what a few posters here have been talking about. (Hey, I still don't "get" the T. Monk appeal myself, like, *not at all*, so... We're all allowed :))

I love reading discussions like that on the thread, BTW.

I don't have any problems with Hill's organized modal post-bop semi-chaos. But with Chris Botti, on the other hand... Don't get me started ;)

[​IMG]

Andrew Hill (and great friends!), Black Fire (1963). (His first Blue Note album, correct?)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  19. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Found one at the local GW a while back. Cleaned up OK too.

But I think you knew that.

Currently have Ole Coltrane on the CD player (from the Atlantic Mono box).

Starwanderer and Fender Relic like this.
  20. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Yes, first for Blue Note.

Jacline likes this.
  21. Lonson

Disc 3 now.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Not trying to change your mind, just relating the way I finally understood - or think I understand or maybe came to terms with his music to the point that I now love it. Note: risky post here that I'll probably regret writing. I'm unschooled musically, have not read his bio and am generally wrong about most things but this is my impression nonetheless that I hope I can articulate well enough, although there are those here who probably know better:

Per Rouse, Monk's playing was simplistic, like a nursery rhyme. He was also heavily gospel influenced. So when I hear him play I hear those folk/gospel roots. Like he throws them into his playing, sort of like snippets here and there and those listeners of that day knew those roots he was hinting at - like a hip hop DJ sampling older songs and updating them in a way; but he would throw in some discordant or "off" notes as a message. And the message to me was that since he was a sensitive soul he was letting the listener know something like, "Hey, remember this tune? How we used to get down to this? Yeah! But since this world is effed up, I can't/won't play it straight." Like how he messed with Nellie & hung pictures skewed on the wall. The guy could play anything on the piano but I think this was kind of the behind the scenes motivation that brought on the development of his personal style & influenced how he composed and played. Again, I'm probably totally off the mark but this is how his playing began to resonate with me. Then I came to love it all, but especially those sides with Milt Jackson and Miles because that's where I first heard it like this. The amount of space in those songs went deep for me too. It definitely took a while for me though. Those folks that hear it and love it from jump are certainly gifted I think.

23. Lonson

Cassandra Wilson "Live"

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A Jazz Show from back in the day on local radio had this as their theme song..still love this title song.With the great Kenny Burrell on guitar.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Listening to Andrew Hill's Smokestack. The title track is this beautifully churning downward spiral that just sucks me in (then again, I'm a sucker for any jazz composition with two bass players). Don't fight the vortex! Wailing Wall features Richard Davis exploring semitones in his bowed line.