What specific songs from All Things Must Pass album did Ringo play drums on?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know he played on Wah-Wah, the title track and a few others.

2. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

The Jams on disc 3

J Alesait likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I believe he was Tambourine on MSL. I always thought I Dig Love was him.

J Alesait likes this.
  4. If I recall correctly he plays on the majority of the tracks. Ringo is the main drummer on "All Things Must Pass".

RockRoom and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, he does not play on any of the Apple jams. Those are all Jim Gordon.

RockRoom and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. All Things Must Pass - Who played What on Which Song

According to Simon Lang book, mentioned in the thread above, It's Ringo on 7 songs (Alan White on 4 & Jim Gordon on 9.... 18 songs on the first two proper albums ... 3 drummers on a couple songs)
    My Sweet Lord
    Wah-Wah
    Isn't It A Pity
    Beware of Darkness
    All Things Must Pass
    I Dig Live
    Isn't It A Pity (Version 2)

Lewisboogie and J Alesait like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jim Gordon except "I Remember Jeep" which is Ginger Baker.

linclink and John Buchanan like this.
  8. That should read
    a) Simon "Leng"
    ... and...
    b) "2 drummers on a couple songs"

And in the thread cited above George Harrison said he thought Ringo played drums on about half the album

... another poster cited two core groups:
    Bobby Whitlick, Carl Radle & Jim Gordon.
    ...and...
    Billy Preston, Klaus Voorman & Ringo Starr
    And notes the later overdub sessions were Ringo Starr & Alan White... and that sometimes either Ringo or Alan would end up drumming with Clapton, Radle & Whitlock (rather than Gordon).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    J Alesait likes this.
  9. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you!!

linclink likes this.
  10. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

Hi all - obviously, the question of who played what on which "All Things Must Pass" tracks has been of much conjecture over the years, and a thread devoted to this appeared on this forum some years back: All Things Must Pass - Who played What on Which Song

That thread is closed to additional posts, so I thought I'd revive the next closest thread I could find, which is this one...

In the original thread, Simon Leng's Harrison bio was quoted extensively, and the Wikipedia entry on "ATMP" does so as well. I just acquired that book, but as pointed out on the original thread, I see many likely inaccuracies with that. However, at the same time I acquired the Leng book, I also got Bobby Whitlock's very entertaining autobiography, in which HE lists, in very great detail, who played what on each and every track from the album. I'm curious as to the opinions of others here regarding Bobby's recollections (since that book was out by the time of the original thread, I can't believe no one pointed it out; some did mention his remarks in various interviews, but not his full-on track-by-track breakdown). I'm inclined to believe most, and maybe all, of what he says about the album - since, after all, he was there (and yes, I know it had been forty years by that time). To me, this seems like the definitive credit source, and should replace the one on Wikipedia!

I can post his credits here, if needed, unless it's already been done on this forum in a thread I haven't seen. First off, he says that he's always been an organ player, and never played piano in his life until these sessions! He claims that almost all of the Hammond and harmonium playing on the album are him, with Billy Preston playing most of the piano. "The two Garys", as he calls them (Brooker and Wright) pop up here-and-there. He arrived late for the first session ("Wah-Wah") and ended up playing electric piano on that one, as the other keyboard parts were already filled, and played acoustic piano for the first time in his life on "Beware Of Darkness" (as well as on the Apple Jams). Other than that, he's playing organ or harmonium on all but a couple of the tracks.

Also of note: Gary Brooker was recently on Sirius XM's Beatles Channel program "Fab Forum", and from what I gleaned in that conversation, he (Brooker) only played on two of the "ATMP" sessions, even though he lived very near Abbey Road studios at the time: "My Sweet Lord" and "Wah-Wah" (apparently piano on both). And lastly, some years back I emailed Gary Wright (from the link on his website), asking what all he played on the album...he replied that he played piano, electric piano, and organ, but didn't, or couldn't remember, which specific songs. From all the info provided by Bobby Whitlock, I think we can narrow down Wright's contributions...

J Alesait likes this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I always thought that too, cause of the reference in Never Without You (I Dig Love is about you).

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Since we're on the subject, I got Jerry Shirley (Humble Pie)'s memoir from the library and he says he attended one ATMP session and played tambourine in the bridge of two songs, "If Not For You" and "Let It Roll," and says George asked Phil Spector to keep the session moving so Ringo could be home for tea.

Craig Slowinski likes this.
  13. Craig Slowinski

Bobby does say that Ringo plays drums on both "MSL" and "IDL".

14. Craig Slowinski

Maybe I should make this a new, separate thread for Who Played What on ATMP...that way it would reach a wider audience? :)

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

....according to Bobby Whitlock in the Life in 12 Bars documentary, it's the Derek and The Dominoes band on My Sweet Lord with the exception of slide which is George. That would imply Gordon on drums even though I must admit, it sounds *nothing* like him and a whole lot like Ringo.

16. Craig Slowinski

In his book, Bobby says it's Ringo on drums, Klaus on bass, plus George on acoustic and slide guitar, and himself on harmonium. I find this more believable. Not sure why he'd contradict himself in the documentary.

DK Pete likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...hmmm...very very weird...maybe it wasn't Whitlock that said it in the film (??)...I have to double check now...but "he" also very clearly stated that it was Clapton on acoustic (which also surprised me).

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just looked in a couple of places..Clapton plays acoustic *with* Harrison and Jim Gordon plays drums *with* Ringo. The one member of DATD that's missing is Carl Radle...Voorman is the bass player.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I see where this is all heading. Just like with "Old Brown Shoe", it will soon be revealed that Paul played the drums on the ATMP album... ;)

Ringo Hendrix, sekaer and Kim Olesen like this.
  20. Craig Slowinski

Are you referring to the Wikipedia/Simon Leng credits? If so, I wouldn't put much faith in those. Whitlock doesn't mention Clapton or Gordon as playing on "MSL", at least not in his book. I'm really warming to the idea of starting a whole new thread devoted to the credits Bobby lays out, and open that up for discussion! :)

21. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

From what I can tell, the basic track of My Sweet Lord has: 1 drum track, 3 acoustic guitars, bass, tambourine, piano, harmonium and guide vocals from George.
    So, work from that whatever you can.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.