Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Sure, streaming can be a nightmare for audiophiles. For 99.9% of people, though, can be a great way to listen and to discover music.
    The strong stances I read in this forum (going from "I feel sorry for younger generations", to directly questioning the mental health of those who stream instead of searching that CD mastered in 1987 that commands 200 bucks on Discogs) seem a tad exaggerated to me. But, then again, this is the SH Board, and exaggeration seem to be the norm :)

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Same here, but I do have time to listen to at least 60 new-to-me complete albums every month, plus tons of other songs that I'm trying out, and I'd definitely not have the space or want to spend the money to buy 800-1000 albums every year, especially when I'd not be able to replay most of them that often.

bherbert likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This forum doesn't represent 99.9% of people. It's an audiophile forum. So it'll always be a small subset of the total music buying market.

In other words, if some kid wants to stream to his smartphone so he can listen on a cheap set of earbuds - more power to him. I'm sure he'll be happy. However, that has nothing to do with my enjoyment, or I'd guess, most of the people on this forum.

Let me put it another way. Streaming may be a good way of finding new music. It may not provide a way of listening to that music in the best possible way.

slipkid, ilo2 and bherbert like this.
  4. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Good for you sir. I'm a big fan of streaming and listen to more music now than I ever could years ago as a result, but if you really enjoy an album and want to hear it in its various releases to try and find the best version to maximise your enjoyment so you should, I think sometimes some us forget that this forum's origins and why it was created.

I've only ever sought out two 'different' releases. Metallica's Death Magnetic the Guitar Hero version as the CD was so brickwalled and Rush's remixed Vapor Trails, so I can understand the mindset of those with a passion for a record to want to hear the best version.

:tiphat:

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It works in many ways. For example, I have hankering for listening to some Tangerine Dream on CD. I want to listen to the music in its best form, because.... well why wouldn't I? So I came on the forum, did a search, read some threads, and sort out those best versions - which as is sometimes the case, were the cheapest versions of many of them. I don't have a goal of owning every version of something - the best will do. :D

bherbert likes this.
  6. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Both.

I guess it's good that CDs have gone out of fashion a bit - it makes them- especially used - an incredible bargain. The finest music ever for £3-£5 a pop in mostly excellent quality. Rip to lossless flac for the server at home and to mp3 for the car.
    Vinyl LPs, mainly secondhand. More of a fun purchase or if something is difficult to find as CD.
    Streaming (Spotify 320kbps) - great for finding new music - often leading to a physical purchase - or for background listening while I work.

bherbert likes this.
  7. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

For me, I care so much about music, that I want it to have permanence in my life.

The various genres of music I listen to (prog, contemporary classical, jazz and fusion) all require a very high level of musicianship and knowledge, and the least I can do to show appreciation for these musicians, is to go a little out of my way to purchase their music.

Also, with the current dropping popularity of CDs, I can buy them for pretty cheap.

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Ramones fan here. You took the words right out of my mouth. I had to learn how to count to four.

LivingForever, rodentdog and bherbert like this.
  9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Tidal streams in CD QUALITY. I can listen on 3 stereo rigs in my house, two tablets, 1 PC and my smart phone. 50 million tracks. I have over 3K cds in FLAC on my Bluetooth Vault2.
    I have over 12,000 tracks each on two 160gb ipod classics (one for each car and walk around).
    I am 64 and don't understand why people are limiting themselves as to how they listen to music.
    I get the quality thing, but I don't feel sorry for the artists or how/how much they get paid. Nobody feels sorry for me about how/how much I get paid. I am listening to Jazzmasters VII via Tidal on my Mac as I type this. I have many Paul Hardcastle/Jazzmasters cds, but not this one.
    I find the amount of music on Tidal liberating. As to being a prisoner of Tidal, with 50 million tracks to choose from, I'll get over it.

Guy E and bherbert like this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have finite time, and finite money. These are the only limiters. Saying they stream in CD quality is less important than knowing the specific mastering used.

bherbert likes this.
  11. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Why do people want to "own" anything? Big question. They reckon happiness and enlightenment comes from not owning anything don't they?

Records, trainers, paintings, wine, houses, cars, jewellery, antiques, football programmes, ticket stubs, toys, garden tools, the list is endless.

People like to collect. I've no idea why. Surely memories and experience are of most value? Perhaps it's holding that item that is special. It's not enough to just listen, see or remember?

No matter what we collect I'd like to think that when a house burns down it's the loved ones inside that are hurried out first. Everything else is just stuff at the end of the day, no matter how much sentiment we have for it?

That character from Labyrinth weighed down by all its lifelong possessions springs to mind.

bherbert likes this.
  12. Pier

Pier Well-Known Member

I buy music (cd only).
    Eventually, I verify something on Youtube before going with a new disc/artist.
    Not too much... I LOVE surprises, even if they bring delusions.

bherbert likes this.
  13. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

This coming week, it will be 5 years since I first started using a streaming service. I had bought a Cd or DVD at an HMV store in Moncton, New Brunswick. Included with my purchase was a promotion for The Vault, a service modeled on Spotify. I had used Sirius XM and Youtube before but this was different.The Vault allowed me to control the music and download my favorites for offline play on my Ipod Touch. I remember the IOS interface was clunky and there was a chance that one or two tracks would fail to download when I put my Walking playlist in Offline mode. The service shut down a few months later and I tried a few alternatives before Spotify arrived in Canada the following summer.

14. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

This :righton:

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this past week I bought 20 used CDs! no stopping baby!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I guess Im one of the dinosaurs who only buys the physical product. Id rather have the LP or CD in my grasp to look at while listening. Just my choice. I dont down anyone's choice with this subject.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I have to say: on my Sonos system, my Spotify premium account sounds good enough to provide a more than acceptable listening pleasure. Of course, since I hate brickwalled CDs, certain things will need a different source than the mastering I can find on the service. I suppose I'm not in that 3% of people than can tell the difference between a CD and high-bitrate MP3, but I'm perfectly happy this way.

18. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am still not interested in streaming services. I want to have a CD or LP in my collection to read the lyrics and watch the layout when I am listening to that record...it's the same with books. I never had an e-book for example...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

And let's not forget how buying a real record keeps record shops alive: the enjoyment of looking through crates, chatting about music, getting face to face recommendations, wondering what kind of music the record you hold in your hand actually is. Then there's the community of RSD and record fayres, creating local employment and making a town centre unique.

Physical music is about so much more than just owning a plastic disc. It's a communal act.

20. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Tried an ebook once. No sir, i didn't like it.

And despite the digital age i still subscribe to the paper copy of Edge (gaming magazine) and Mojo. I also buy paper copies of Private Eye and Big Issue.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you ever look at your crates or shelves full of cd’s or records and think - “what’s the point? I could just store all these rips on external hard drives and save tons of space.”

Spitfire and coffeetime like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

No, but about 15 years ago I decided to clear out a bunch of things I only had on tape, put 'em all on a then-massive 200 GB drive which eventually failed.

What do I win?

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Not I! I just see a treasure trove of musical delights that I can hold & call mine. The thrill still comes to me when I open up a brand new LP or CD for the first time.

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

bherbert likes this.
  25. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I stream and buy (mostly used) vinyl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.