Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Sadly, the latest reissue didn't include a 'Coming Soon' card revealing the next titles, but we've already had a fair amount of hints about what's forthcoming.

[​IMG]

According to our good friend on the inside, @etcetera, we've heard that:

This isn't the first time we've heard these sets have been worked on, so hopefully the wait isn't too long.

And looking beyond these:

Personally, I'm hoping to see a 'Wings 1977-79' Uber Deluxe boxset, with a 'Wings Over Britain' live disc of the 1979 tour. Hopefully this time the quantity isn't so limited.

Just as before, I hope we can use this thread to discuss and speculate about what's next until we get an official announcement (hopefully next year!)

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Bring on the Driving Rain Archive Edition!

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This thread was long overdue
    I have not yet received my Big 71-73 box but never mind
    Guess Deluxe editions of London Town and Back to the egg it s the next thing. Could be great.
    Flaming Pie is another option-could be even more great

:)

CybrKhatru, angelees and jlf like this.
  4. Jack

Jack Senior Member

And Memory Almost Full!

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Throughout the series so far, they have jumped forward and backwards in time, but I cannot see them skipping the final two Wings albums in the anniversary year of 'BTTE', so I imagine that album and 'London Town' will be next, which I would be very pleased with, especially if it is formatted with a live bonus CD in the deluxe again.

After that I would love to see a large 'Press To Play' box set, and then 'Off The Ground' and 'Flaming Pie'. I hope the series does include 'Driving Rain' and 'Run Devil Run', mainly for the unreleased tracks that could be included.

6. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I hope "Press To Play" doesn't get overlooked. It's "next" after "Pipes of Peace"* once the Wings releases get rounded out, and there's lots of 12" mixes that never got digital releases (not to mention a shedload of neat outtakes).

*Assuming "Give My Regards To Broad Street" is either bundled with it or erased from history

"New" is as old now as "Flowers in the Dirt" was when the '93 reissue campaign took place... surreal.

7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

There has been some talk from insiders about a possible special project next year, something different from the Archive Collection series. It could be some sort of live anthology (audio & video) or perhaps the long rumored Anthology type set?

With no new solo release to promote, 2019 should be an open year for more archival releases. We'll probably get London Town/Back To The Egg set but hopefully not just that.....

8. Thrillington

I think I’m more excited for a Press To Play deluxe set than the two Wings albums.

Why? It’s the only studio album I’ve not heard (deliberately waiting for the reissue) and from what I’ve heard, there are loads of potential extras from the period between Pipes and Flowers to make this an incredible set based on bonus content alone.

It’d almost be a mid-80’s McCartney Anthology release.

Plus it’d include Yvonne, one of my favourite unreleased tracks.

jricc, Eska68, S Mac and 15 others like this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Even though Driving Rain is basically an old-school double album, there was supposedly even more material recorded. Maybe some of it ended up on Memory Almost Full, but I think there are outtakes we haven’t heard.

Vinyl_Blues, Carlox and theMess like this.
  10. Thrillington

I can’t see the Archive Collection continuing past Flaming Pie. At least not straight away.

1. Linda has played a central role in all reissued albums, not just the original tracks, but the photography that makes such a huge part of the deluxe sets. These reissues are as much of a celebration about Paul + Linda’s marriage as they are about the music!

2. Paul is extremely unlikely to want to discuss music he made inspired by Heather Mills, so she’d be the elephant in the room, especially for Driving Rain. Yes there’s lots else Paul could talk about, but I doubt he’d give these albums the same treatment as say Flowers.

3. MPL consider the mixes of recent albums ‘modern’ enough already, so don’t see the need to remaster them. Again, this eliminates another big point of the archive series.

4. Several recent albums have been reissued already outside of the archive collection, whether on CD under Concorde (Run Devil Run) or more recently under Capitol on CD and Vinyl (Chaos).

11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Well, first the 2019 releases will be released in 2021, and the 2020 releases will be in 2025, if they stay on the schedule they've had so far...

MySweetFork likes this.
  12. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

OMG a thread that will go on for nearly 12 months before we get confirmation.

13. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I'd love to see a "1987" set, full of the Phil Ramone sessions, outtakes, Once Upon a Long Ago and all those stuff

And also, is an Archive set of Snova V SSSR in the vaults?

tug_of_war, Mr Hankey, Sean and 2 others like this.
  14. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Off The Ground was reissued on Concord I believe

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

None of us are getting any younger!!!!!!! Let's go!!!!!!!!

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So underrated.

S Mac, Vinyl_Blues, Carlox and 5 others like this.
  17. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Return to Pepper land needs to end up somewhere. ..even if it's a box set of just unfinished or unreleased songs.

tug_of_war, Sean, theMess and 2 others like this.
  18. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

What's the most probable (according to my expectations :D )
    2019: London Town/Back To The Egg
    2020: Flaming Pie
    2021: Give My Regards To Broad Street
    2022: Press To Play
    2023: Off The Ground
    2024: Snova V SSSR/1987 Sessions

And to place somewhere in betweens, the Colored vinyl/regular vinyl/CD digipack editions of Flowers In The Dirt, Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, Wings Over America, London Town, Back To The Egg, Flaming Pie, Give My Regards To Broad Street, Press To Play, Snova V SSSR + All The Best, Twin Freaks, Memory Almost Full, Driving Rain, Good Evening New York City
    And add the Archive sets of Tripping The Live Fantastic and Paul Is Live

Antivenom9808 likes this.
  19. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

London Town and Back to the Egg are the only one that need a remaster. Other albums were released on CD natively. They should do a Bowie thing and pack 80s albums together with singles, rarities and stuff (I want "Return to Pepperland")

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I've only bought 2 cd sets from the Archive Series, and not even all of those. As the series goes along, each set is becoming more and more essential. Looking forward to what they have in store for us in the future!

Sean, andrewskyDE, JRSIV and 2 others like this.
  21. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Based on the posting by etcetera here that Flaming Pie is done but work hasn't started on Broadstreet, Press To Play or Off The Ground, I'd agree with you — but not for the points you suggest.

For me, the celebration of Paul McCartney as "healer of America" associated with the Concert For New York City and beyond puts Driving Rain into the 'return to relevancy' category that doesn't require the same type of re-evaluation as the albums before, who got reviews like "not as bad as we thought it might be" (a paraphrasing of Rolling Stone's opinion of Flaming Pie).

I think the series was first conceived as Band On The Run, followed by McCartney/McCartney II, Ram, Venus And Mars/Speed Of Sound and then Wings Over America as a way of demonstrating the power of Paul's early career — to be followed up by Tug Of War/Pipes Of Peace, Flowers In The Dirt, Flaming Pie and possibly a live album in between (Tripping The Live Fantastic perhaps?) — only for the series to have evolved along the way with such support from the fans that MPL is rethinking the series from release to release… all thanks in part to the switch to Capitol, which gave Paul time to pause and think about how to go forward.

Remember: based on the interviews with his management, we didn't know if the series was going to continue at all after Flowers In The Dirt, and talk was aimed at going back to the missing releases rather than the series ending with the (now told finished) album Flaming Pie.

So I see the series continuing with gap-filling first, if only to continue the re-evaluation of albums that his kids were too young to remember all the circumstances about.

Wings 1971-1973's rapid sell out shows the demand is there for the lesser albums. London Town and Back To The Egg will be next in 2019, possibly with Wings Over England to complete the set. 2019 will also likely see the release of Abbey Road: 50.

2020 should go the easy route and release Tripping The Live Fantastic on its anniversary, with a tour diary, photo book, re-creation of the tour book, etc. joined by the two CDs, a CD of released material, a CD of soundchecks that Paul played on the radio, and maybe even Get Back on blu-ray to go with it. 2020 may also see Let It Be: 50 if the movie is recut to appease Yoko and Olivia, who are apparently the dissenting voices right now.

2021, the anniversary of Wings' foundation, could lead to Wings Anthology being released. It was already worked on as a potential followup to Wingspan and could be a nice companion to the series we already have. Beatles-wise, do a disc of very early material including the Tony Sheridan recordings on an Apple release.

2022 could then be the archive release of Flaming Pie, which we know is done. By this time, MPL would be done mixing the next sets. For the Beatles, though, prepare audiences for the upcoming anniversary releases with Rock And Roll on silver vinyl and Love Songs on burgundy vinyl — with accompanying CD releases. At this point, they are the only 1970s releases to come. We can also see the Wings material packaged in a box set for those who still don't have them.

2023 would be perfect then for Off The Ground, while Broadstreet would aim for its anniversary in 2024 accompanied by Paul Is Live — because Press To Play is too large not to stand alone in 2025. At that point, 2026 would have to result in either Paul McCartney Anthology 1981-1997 or the combined Choba B CCCP and Unplugged releases ahead of the next wave… unless the classical material gets mixed in too.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Disagree: as a fan of David Bowie, his boxes are grossly uneven. Rarities/singles/etc. that were on the anniversary releases are missing, and too many albums were doubled up on — Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station and the live albums. Plus, the 80s box frustratingly omits two songs from the period, one that Bowie disliked enough that it would never see light of day again and one that he wrote but didn't sing on.

Plus, the Bowie estate is releasing next to the sets albums that should have been included but weren't, such as the 1971 demo disc that cuts out the person he shared it with!

If there's any artist I think Paul should look to for inspiration, it wouldn't be the Bowie estate, it would be Springsteen and his live offerings via Internet sale. Lots of fans might like to have the show they attended as another souvenir (even if they often sound the same as the previous night) and it would give MPL a chance to flush out a lot of concerts from the past. Imagine being able to go online and buy directly shows from 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, etc. plus offer up a collection of live EPs/samplers that cover some appearances in between.

Sean, andrewskyDE, theMess and 2 others like this.
  23. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

This comment's purpose is for me to come back in one year, Dec. 9th 2019 and see if LT/BTTE have/are coming out and if any of the predictions said before this comment are in fact true.

theMess likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I never thought of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway as lesser albums. Pipes of Peace and Broadstreet are actual examples of lesser albums. It blew my mind that MPL ignored Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway for so long.

SunSon, WHR, HE1NZ and 1 other person like this.
  25. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Assuming we get London Town/Back To The Egg next December, it makes great sense to release a massive 1970-1979 odds and ends set at the same time or shortly thereafter.

Please.

bluerondo, supermd, Sean and 5 others like this.