Audio Technica's new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Davies, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

How does the top 760slc compare to the 740ml? Is the 2x price difference significant in what it offers? Considering holding off on the 740 and saving up for the 760

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Heckto35 likes this.
  2. Chris Technics

Chris Technics New Member

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it just boils down to the styli. Deeper into the grooves. I decided to grab the Vm750sh. There was a seller from Hong Kong on eBay who had it listed new for $360 shipped. And yesterday into this morning at 6am eBay had a 10% your entire purchase (including multiple items in your cart so off the total price). It knocked $36 off the price. So, I stopped thinking about it and just bought it for $324 total. Couldn't pass on it. Will see how it is, as there are a lot of good things being said about it. The seller had 2 more at that time if anyone is interested. $360 brand new in the box was cheaper than anywhere else I could find it online.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The ML is actually a finer profile than the SLC. AT charges more for the SLC due either to their supplier for that tip or because of perceived prestige. Previously the SLC was only available on AT's LOMC carts.

Robert C and MusicNBeer like this.
  4. Chris Technics

Anyone using the new AT VM 700-Series Cartridges?
    This link has a decent discussion on it and a great spec picture on this series and older ones.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Even more of an argument for the excellent vm740ml value!

patient_ot and MusicNBeer like this.
  6. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

And as I stated in another thread, I looked at the ML stylus at work on my VM740ML and it is really well cut. Symmetry is excellent and shape looks perfect. Diamond is clear as well. I'm not convinced the buyer is getting anything more for the 750/760 cost, other than that they do look better.

recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

What I really would like to see is more comparisons between VM540ML and the VM7xxyy carts

Heckto35, recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  8. MusicNBeer

I nominate you to buy them all and provide a detailed comparison. Please provide results by the new year.:hide:

Heckto35 and punkmusick like this.
  9. punkmusick

I nominate you the fund raiser.

Heckto35, MusicNBeer and patient_ot like this.
  10. Chris Technics

Lol. I have a link pending approval that shows the specs on them.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I run a VM750SH on my SL-1210GR. I really enjoy it. A full, balanced sound, without boomy bass. My other carts are 2M Red and V15 Type III (JICO SAS HE stylus). The Red is too aggressive sounding - too loud and unrefined. The V15 Type III is wonderful, but the VM750SH seems to bring out a little “more” - more impact, a little more detail (decay on notes and percussion). It appears to be a steal at US $399 - the specs and Shibata stylus would indicate a higher price, one would think.

recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ok last question, and it has to deal with optimal tonearm/cartridge resonant frequency.

Below is the website calc I’m using:

Resonance Frequency

I’m using 12g as the effective tonearm with headshell mass for the 1200GR, plus the 8g mass of the vm740ml gets you 20g total effective mass. The compliance values are listed at 40 for static, and 10 for dynamic - the website says static values should be halved, and the dynamic value should be multiplied by 1.5-2 if listed at 100hz. I plugged in 20 for compliance, which calculated as 8 hz for resonant frequency which is in range for a good match I believe.

Can someone check those values are correct?

As an aside, when I calculate using my current kab Concorde pros 40, I have to take the 12g mass of tonearm with cart, subtract the 7.6g for headshell, add the 18.5 g mass of the Concorde which brings a value of 22.9g total effective mass. With compliance at 25, the calculated resonant frequency is around 6.6hz, which seems low and maybe not the most ideal match.

13. punkmusick

GR's tonearm effective mass is not specified in the turntable manual unfortunately. We assume it is 12g because this is the mass of older 1200. However, once I found a test online measuring it at 8-9g.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Would you happen to have a link for that possibly?

15. punkmusick

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

punkmusick likes this.
  17. punkmusick

GAE and GR have different arms, magnesium against aluminum.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The plot thickens!

punkmusick likes this.
  19. MusicNBeer

On my GR, I'm getting a tonearm resonance at 7 Hz with the VM740ML and the stock Technics headshell. The cartridge weighs 8g and the headshell is 7.6g. The cartridge compliance is 11 at 100Hz which corresponds to between 17 and 22 at 10Hz. Plugging these numbers into the compliance calculations indicates 12g is a good approximation.

punkmusick and recstar24 like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! Any reason why your measured tonearm resonance ends up measuring lower than the calculated resonant frequency?

punkmusick likes this.
  21. MusicNBeer

My best guess is the cartridge compliance is a bit higher than specified.

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

The cartridge weight is generally specified without hardware so we normally add 1 gm or so, depending on how long the screws are.

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  23. punkmusick

Good to know. Makes more sense indeed.

24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

First spin with VM540ml on a Technics 1200 (kab), project Tube Box DS, Pilot 248b (30 watt tube integrated), Klipsch kg3.

Very nice! Images beautifully! minimizes background noise. It’s detailed but not getting that 440mla brightness that chased me away years ago. Honeymoon stage, will report back in a few weeks... but so far very positive!

(Side note - the VM540ml kinda reminds me of a Shure M97xe with a Jico SAS stylus)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  25. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

It only gets better

MusicNBeer and theron d like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.