Nick Mason: "I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star Thread Starter

"I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David. He feels that writing is everything, and that guitar playing and the singing are something that, I won’t say anyone can do, but that everything should be judged on the writing rather than the playing.”

from Nick Mason new interview in Rolling Stone:
    Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason on David Gilmour and Roger Waters’ Feud – Rolling Stone

Nick also (very well) states that: "I think it’s really disappointing that these rather elderly gentlemen are still at loggerheads.”

Scancom, dtuck90, Maurice and 39 others like this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

"It's the singer not the song
    That makes the music move along" as written by Pete Townshend and sung by Roger Daltrey. :whistle:

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If they could just put away all the ego crap and realise that they complimented each other perfectly ... that would be a good thing

smoke, phillyal1, Ash76 and 51 others like this.
  4. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

"I’m hesitant to get too stuck into this one, just because it’s between the two of them rather than me."

5. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Dave over the lyrics for me roger.

6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Opening up a can of worms for nothing.. As if this was something new. And in the last 10 years, Roger and David have played together with Pink Floyd, but also together for a Palestinian benefit (without Mason). Gilmour asked Roger to do "To Know Him Is To Love Him" and said he'd play on "Comfortably Numb" on one of the London shows (and "Outside the Wall" with Nick), and it was a nice moment...

This doesn't help Roger or David. Now they'll be asked and baited into some quotes.

7. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I guess the Rolling Stone is desperate to sell magazines.

8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I was introduced to PF through The Wall (movie first then album.) I got to experience Waters as the singer first before knowing any of the history of vocalists. I really liked his off kilter, mad man delivery through out (I still do.) However, when I heard Comfortably Numb, I was slack jawed by David's voice and of course guitar work. So I just assumed the band took an approach similar to The Who. The writer writes, the singer sings. That's how to get the job done. I guess Roger shredded that memo.

moodyxadi, pexie, Old Rusty and 5 others like this.
  9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Well, yes, probably. Why wouldn't they be?

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's not hard to figure the direction that this discussion will take. Just surprised that the usual suspects haven't shown up already.

Timmy84, Atmospheric, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For Nick to say this in public he must be really frustrated. He also hints at the disagreements over re-releases that @rontoon has hinted at too.

12. Freelance_Philosopher

Freelance_Philosopher Well-Known Member

I recently discovered the Pulse DVD set in my collection, which I overlooked for years because I received it in already-tattered condition as a somewhat thoughtless re-gift.
    I was mesmerized.
    Now to the relevant part: during each viewing-and-listening since, I found myself thinking the whole time, "Thank god Gilmour is singing, and this young guy [Guy Pratt] is playing bass on this--Waters wouldn't do either anywhere near as well..."

keyXVII, enro99, mikedifr0923 and 8 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

looks like it's starting lol

OptimisticGoat, Zeki and DTK like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And....we're off! Thread closure in 2 hours' time?

The Beave, AidanB, pexie and 8 others like this.
  15. My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why Nick Mason needs something like this to get some publicity.

Zeki, andrewskyDE, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, nothing moves magazines like interviews with drummers from long-defunct bands!

smoke, elee532, Matty and 21 others like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought they were getting along relatively well, even though not working together. Remember this thread from earlier this year:

Waters and Gilmour Giving Props

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

There is no problem. Pink Floyd is DEAD and has been for a long time. Of course the drummer would want a reunion...what else has he got going? The saucerful tour?

19. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I still love this Q&A with Mason and Waters..... Some great moments in this

20. One with the other makes the magic.

J_D__, enro99, Merrick and 2 others like this.
  21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Oh boy.

22. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Well, just as Rolling Stone is looking to sell magazines, Mason is looking to promote his project/tour. He has to talk about Floyd, just as McCartney/Starr have to talk about the Beatles.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nick gets asked stuff, he's going to answer. I don't think he's angling for publicity, he's just speaking his mind.

It's disappointing to hear Nick put it all on Roger, and I suspect that there's plenty of disrespect to go around between David and Roger, but I guess Nick knows these guys better than I do. :laugh:

But ultimately I don't think these guys need to work together again anyway. Rick's gone, so it won't be Pink Floyd even if they did work together. And I think what Nick's doing PF-wise is far more interesting than David, Roger and Nick touring DSOTM again. Now if they would tour Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother I'd be totally on board. :laugh:

pantofis, bzfgt, AidanB and 15 others like this.
  24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Pink Floyd were a good little rock band.

25. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

Personally, I'm amazed that Nick is doing his tour. When I think of him, it's this: Gallery: inside Nick Mason’s toybox . His passion for top automobiles and particularly race cars is incredible and he has wonderful taste. If you're not aware of the values of his cars, you might be surprised. The last Ferrari GTO to sell at auction made over $48M. He could live his automotive life without ever being known as the drummer for Pink Floyd and fill up his time nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.