Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I think that was coming out just as I had moved on. Just such a great format I loved how easy it was to edit discs (I had an IBM keyboard plugged into my deck) and I had the remote also.

Anybody that was into cassette mix tapes you had to love MD it was everything that was great about cassette plus everything that was great about digital.

Sony hit it out of the park with MD. it was huge in Japan I guess for a long time, it just never seemed to catch on that big in the west.

Loved it.

2. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

This is exactly why I got into MD in a big way. I had to travel a lot for work, and used to carry a cassette walkman with a bunch of tapes around with me, so I jumped on MD as soon as it hit the states. I switched to lugging a buttpack full of mix MDs and a little Sony MD Walkman around with me when I traveled.

Then Hango released their 20GB PJB-100 and I switched again... :0

pscreed likes this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Wow I don’t even remember that one!

After MD for portables I had an iRiver DAP that was really well reviewed, I just can’t remember the model but it did FLAC and that was a big deal at the time. I need to dig that out I still have it here somewhere. I believe it was still spinning disc era. Pretty sure. Had a whole ecosystem with a dock and stuff.

After that for DACs I went with Cowon. I have an S9 which was really cool maybe the first OLED display on a DAP? And I have a Plenue whatever the first one was. 256GB with the add on card and does DSD. It’s a really nice player.

I think the Koreans pretty much have been pioneers in DAPs since almost the dawn of the post lossy audio era. The UIs have always been a bit hard for me though.... non standard in some sense?

I think I’m off topic here apologies.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

Because everything else from Sony, Denon, and TASCAM costs big money. Tradition is nothing to thumb your nose at.

:p

Hopefully I will soon have reasons to post in this thread. Until then, this attempt at a humorous comment will have to suffice ;)

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I bought this over 10 year ago second hand from a community radio station for a couple hundred bucks.
    Works a treat in 2018 Still!
    I love toys!
    [​IMG]

kyouki, Dublintown, JeffMo and 5 others like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pick on someone else to quote next time. :nyah:

7. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I just got a MZ-R500 that is working perfectly. Didn’t need it, but I did need the 10 blank discs (5 unopened 74 min. and 5 opened 80 min.).

LA2019 likes this.
  8. Vetiver

Vetiver Forum Resident

The MZ-R500 and MZ-R501 (especially) are my favourite MD portables, solely for the sake of simplicity. Gumstick batteries? No, thanks!

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I regret having bought so many that required gumstick batteries. They either have to have the bulky external AA battery packs, or are forever tethered to an AC outlet to be usable.

PhilBiker and Vetiver like this.
  10. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Like other audio gear, the better units are more expensive. High end is what it is, and there is still some demand for the best MD units.

Bhob likes this.
  11. rockindownthehighway

Do you dispute the facts of my joke? ;)

12. Vetiver

Vetiver Forum Resident

Some of the models, which require gumstick batteries, are absolutely beautiful. If they were powered by 2x AAA batteries, I would have gladly bought a few.

Believe me when I say that resisting the urge was, initially, tough. I remember falling in love with the MZ-R900, the first time I saw it...

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Joke . :laugh:

14. rockindownthehighway

In all seriousness I thought your question was valid and deserved an honest answer. :D

Anyway it worked, we woke up the thread! Let the minidisc discussion continue! :)

15. phantomime

phantomime Forum Resident

Use to enjoy making minidisc comps before the ubiquity of cdr, still have a player but the price of blank discs are prohibitive

16. rockindownthehighway

From ebay it looks like you guys can get them for 2.50 UKP a piece. We do ok on ebay if we can get them for 4 Euros a piece delivered. Still cheaper than chrome cassettes!

adriatikfan and phantomime like this.
  17. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Have a Sony MD deck. Recently recorded a couple albums off of YouTube. Sounds pretty good.

Bhob and LA2019 like this.
  18. rockindownthehighway

[​IMG]

This came in the last few days.

I think if more people would be aware of the great editing capabilities of MD it could really come back. MD is so much nicer to use for recording, mix tapes, etc. than cassette and is more flexible than CDs.

19. rockindownthehighway

Found a LNIB Sony for a fair price on the bay. Just put it under my Yamaha mini stack this morning.

[​IMG]

20. rockindownthehighway

Where's Clark Kaufmann! We need a seminar on his incredible label-making process :)

adriatikfan likes this.
  21. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Love the Yamaha stuff too.

22. rockindownthehighway

Thanks, it's really a nice little system. It was not cheap, but it has a lot of nice features. It plays DSD over USB, has a nice AM/FM/DAB+ tuner, CD player, plays FLAC etc. from dlna shares or USB stick/drive, has support (via PITA phone app) for most streaming services, free vtuner account, and the firmware gets updated occasionally. The weak point is the amp. It was actually fine with the speakers it came with but it's not happy with the speakers I'm using now. I'll eventually get rid of the amp and replace it with something with a lot more power and breathing room. But I'll lose the USB DAC which is in the amp and is kind of a weird design. It kept me in music while I was putting my main system together.

23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Just recorded the new 5-CD archival set "The Complete Cuban Jam Sessions" to Minidisc.
    Used still-frames from the promo video for artwork....

[​IMG]

24. rockindownthehighway

Incredible work, Clark! It would be great if you would post a video of your whole process, with narration.

25. rockindownthehighway

What's everybody using for disc storage? I don't really have room for any display-type racks. I bought a lot of blanks because they're not getting any cheaper. So far it's mayhem trying to organize them. I like the aluminum suitcase style cases I've seen online but I have not seen one in person. I have not found a good source for them.