Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I have several Schiit components in my audio chain. I think for the prices they charge and the quality of sound reproduction produced they are un-equalled. I own both a Saga and a Valhalla 2 and they held their own against my previous components ( B&K , NAD, Cambridge ). The Saga is fantastic for the price. I understand it's not for everyone ( analog purists especially), however I love it. Same for the Valhalla 2, fantastic headphone amp. Looks sweet sounds great. Made in the USA. Love my Schiit.
    If this turntable costs under $800, with all that was implied, it will be an easy purchase.
    Time to start saving some coin.

AlmanacZinger and H8SLKC like this.
  2. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Thanks for all of that Gabe. I do love the Orbit and am listening to it right now. It's so simple and functional, and I've had wonderful experiences with their customer support as well. I do believe they would find a substantial market (including me) for an upgraded design, which is why I'm reminded of them when I read this thread. The principal wish I would have for an Orbit+ would be a thicker and heavier plinth, a thicker platter supported by a broader subplatter, and an arm that could take a wider range of cartridge weights.

I was hoping that by now, a Rega-style aftermarket would have sprung up for the Orbit, but alas no suck luck. It'll be very interesting to see what Schiit does in the space, hopefully soon.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My buddy has the stock Orbit and loves it.

I posted upthread somewhere that I was keen to see this table from Schiit, and I have and love many of their products. I think Mike Moffat is an audio product engineering genius. But I must've got tired of waiting, because I ponied up for the SL-1200GR.

patient_ot and H8SLKC like this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

nosliw, Gumboo and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Nice. And a $799 'projected' price point? Nicer still. The $700-1000 TT market has some good 'tables in it, but nothing untouchable for the money. The Sol could be a disruptor. :agree:

If it's as good sonically as many ppl are hoping, it'll no doubt be dubbed 'a Rega Planar 3 killer'. But, the Planar 3 is pretty much plug-n-play (with Rega carts, anyway), while the Sol is more of a DIY project, according to the Schiit guys. Two very different kinds of buyers.

H8SLKC and AlmanacZinger like this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Yeah. But given the detachable arms and my penchant for wanting a stereo and mono cartridge I'm holding out for the Sol.

Kyhl and 33na3rd like this.
  7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

This interview put a big smile on my face starting at the 42 min mark when they discussed what they won't be building........

Wounded Land, nosliw and wavethatflag like this.
  8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

First video: Save yourself some time and skip to the 13min mark. Unless you would like a cat nap first. :)

johnny q likes this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Do I have it correct that they're working on software to increase dynamic range? Is that even possible?

10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It's been done before. Search for dbx dynamic range expander. There are plugins for Pro Tools and other recording software that will do the same. Not terribly effective or pleasant sounding when used with brickwalled or overly compressed audio.

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I am interested to see reviews. On the surface it seems to check a few of the boxes that others don't, inverted bearing, detached motor, unipivot arm. All metal scares me a bit, plinth and platter. I don't think of metal as dead sounding. I'm guessing it will need the floater to isolate it from vibrations.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Well I'm sure they're aware of that and will only proceed if they can rectify it. Let's hope.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  13. Cyclone Ranger

Does anyone else involuntarily laugh every time they hear about the ‘Schiit Floaters’? :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    LeeS and lpfreak1170 like this.
  14. Rea

Rea Well-Known Member

is the Turntable still coming? Anyone knows around when?

15. Cyclone Ranger

I think I heard either Q1 2019 or April 2019, but I don’t remember where. :(

Rea likes this.
  16. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

Another sneak peak has arrived:
    (Schiit starts at 4:25)

Looks quite a bit more refined than the last time we saw it on video!

LeeS, 33na3rd, 500Homeruns and 6 others like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Vinyl, the real MQA. ;)

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

The warped record adds a nice visual effect

19. james

james Summon The Queen

looks cool. almost Simon Yorke-y

macster likes this.
  20. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I guess the warped Blue Note reissue wax was to show off the uni-pivot wave rider capability?

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  21. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

You can change speeds using the rubber band

David M. and patient_ot like this.
  22. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That made me chuckle.

I wonder if the motor is AC or DC and if a Cruise Control will work with it. Wish they would have shown how the feet adjust and work, any vibration absorption in the feet or under the motor?
    Also curious about the stock mat. Was it felt? Didn't really look like felt but I didn't get a good look.

11" unipivot arm and outboard motor at an affordable price interests me. The metal plinth still scares me though. I'd still like to see a trustworthy review from an actual user, not an industry rag.

patient_ot and 500Homeruns like this.
  23. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Below is a capture from the video of the back end of the table showing the electrical connections and general layout for those in a hurry ...

[​IMG]

24. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Nice to hear they're still planning on an April/May ship date. Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

David M. likes this.
  25. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I kept trying to play this damn picture.

Benzion, SpeedMorris, 33na3rd and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.