Amazon Prime ......what happen to free 2 day shipping?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by helter, Nov 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I’ve been noticing recently a lot of items listed as PRIME no longer include free 2 day shipping. Yes, you can still have it shipped to your house for free but if you want it in 2 days you’ll have to pay an extra $6.99 for example.
    I’ve loved Amazon Prime for a long time but suddenly things are taking up to a week to receive unless you want to pay extra. Not cool !
    Disappointed :mad:in these new policies

bru87tr likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's interesting...haven't seen that yet with anything, but that's concerning.

I'll bet they're saving it all up for free drone delivery from The Bronx to DC...:sigh:

3. 905

905 Senior Member

That's odd.

4. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

Mostly with smaller sellers and limited items. If it's prime, but it's not in a local warehouse it may take longer.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

Never seen that on anything except add-on items below the $25 minimum.

6. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Sometimes the free 2-day shipping option goes away during peak times, like between Thanksgiving and Christmas, due to the high volume of purchases. My Prime membership tab still says "FREE Two-Day Shipping on over 100 million items, FREE Same-Day and 2-Hour Delivery in select areas, and FREE Release-Date Delivery on eligible pre-order items." and I just used the 2-day option last week for my This Was 50th Anniversary Edition.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'd advise you double-check what you're looking at to make sure it's:
    1. sold by/fulfilled by amazon.com
    2. not an "add-on" item
    3. actually in stock (they can be a little misleading)

8. Metalheaded

Metalheaded Well-Known Member

I canceled my Prime account when I was notified of the recent annual price increase for it. It was the last straw for me. I was regularly having some purchases that were Prime eligible take more than two business days to arrive, and it was because they didn't ship them on time; not because the carrier was late. Sometimes the items wouldn't ship for 3 or 4 days after I ordered them, even though they were in stock. Completely unacceptable.
    So, when they announced that the new renewal price would be $120/year, I was out...and ever since then, I've been perfectly fine doing without it. The minor compromises of having to meet their regular free shipping qualifications hasn't been any big deal, nor has the pricing for stuff.

rob68 and bru87tr like this.
  9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Same experience

Metalheaded likes this.
  10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

We shop at Whole Foods sometimes and I think the Prime discounts offered may cover our annual fee.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Amazon is moving away from the costly shipping benefits as the central attraction of being a Prime member.

12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

This is the second time this year that free 2-day shipping has slipped to five days.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I'm not an Amazon hater but people warned that when Amazon had wiped out the competition it would act like any monopoly. They also got rid of most 3rd party music sellers for some factitious reason. The website in terms of searching for and buying music is almost totally broken because they use bots rather than people to list items. Item listings, links, reviews all chaotic now.

Eigenvector, rob68 and Dave like this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I will say, I ordered way less from Amazon this year than any other year.

Eigenvector and rob68 like this.
  15. I believe this is all happening according to plan for Amazon. They likely have more Prime members than their current capacity to service them. They always hit constraints during the Christmas shopping season.

Basically, Amazon so thoroughly dominates online retail they can afford to lose less profitable customers without much of a worry. It's the benefit of building up a pervasive monopoly that cuts across multiple retail categories.

showtaper likes this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That wouldn't surprise me as the main reason I decided to give Prime a shot was for the shipping benefits but I use it more for it's streaming than I do for it's shipping benefits now, which I would not have predicted because I didn't much care for the streaming. Still don't to a large degree, but I use it more often than I thought I would.

17. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

I get free next day delivery with prime.
    Some get on release day prime preorders have been taking longer of late.
    Especially if you preorderd a few months in advance at a lower price.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

In terms of music I’m with you. On the other hand I’ve ordered more household items from them than I have in the past.

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm about ready to bail on Prime. Not only do things seldom come on time anymore, when something is shipped by Amazon's own courier (as opposed to USPS or UPS), they keep getting delayed... and even tagged delivered when they were not. I feel as if they care more about Prime members streaming video, or going to Whole Foods, now than anything else. Whatever the case, something that worked well for me for years and years is hardly worth the trouble anymore.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

That happened to me a few times. The second time I complained about it and ended up getting $130 box set for free.

sharedon and Spitfire like this.
  21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

When I complain, I usually get an extra month of Prime.

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

They tried to give me that, but I was really upset and I got somebody who either made a mistake or was very nice.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

if you're only a prime member for shipping, you're probably better off not using it. at this point the shipping is nice, but we are enjoying the benefit of the pretty great streaming video library, decent streaming music library, whole foods discounts, etc. for us it's become like netflix with additional tangible benefits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.