The Mavericks Discussion Thread (Concerts, news, Recordings, etc).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

After the Mavericks called it quits originally, Raul went solo and built his audience by touring. I discovered him at that time - by asking the folks at Knuckleheads who I should see in the coming months, and every single person said "Raul Malo" - Frank the owner, Julie the t-shirt seller, Merle the bouncer, Pete the sound engineer, the various bartenders - it was unanimous. Half a dozen solo shows on, he got the band back together, and it was a huge success, and they have one of these "festival" weekends every year.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Would love to know what they get paid for a gig. Whatever it is, they earn it.

longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

I believe it's a guarantee plus a percentage of the gate, which ensures that they work their butts off to make sure everyone in the venue is enjoying themselves and brings their friends the next time.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's a great way to do it. And they certainly do.

5. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I saw The Mavericks in concert last night, Los Lobos opened the show. I like both groups and have most of their cd's. I have seen them both previously a few times.
    I thought Los Lobos had an off-night, they were not very engaging and did not do an encore... The Mavericks put more emphasis on an entertaining show along with the music. They had backing musicians including a horn section, making for a nice rich sound along with the organ player. The majority of the crowd was on its feet for much of their show.

melstapler and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Where was this show?

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Los Lobos are a great band, interesting they opened for The Mavericks instead of headlining!

GerryO and BeSteVenn like this.
  8. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

The show was at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery near Seattle... I expected Los Lobos to be the closing act, I think they are doing multiple shows together on this tour... It made me wonder if they trade-off on who closes the show.

melstapler likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Last time they played Knuckleheads Saloon, they opened for Big Head Todd. Usually they headline with Los Lonely Boys or Alejandro Escovedo. But opening is all about reaching new audiences, and Mavericks fans could well dig Los Lobos.

melstapler and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...way in for that. No preorder option for vinyl...hope that’s coming but this would be a rare CD buy for me if not. Been enjoying the album Brand New Day a little more, but I still feel they are in desperate need of an outside producer as the last three studio sound the same.

12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Amazon UK have a pre order option for vinyl, and I saw it listed on a German site as well (my girlfriend is a huge fan, so I've been searching).

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Awesome! I’m sure it will pop up soon. I am really curious how their last album sold. I’m assuming not well, so I was concerned they would even issue this on vinyl as it’s much more expensive to produce. But I think a lot of their loyal fans will gladly pick this up.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had totally forgotten about the Christmas album...I see no one has written about hearing it yet. Over in the thread about modern Christmas songs, someone kindly posted a clip of one of the songs and it’s GREAT! Amazon only had a few copies on vinyl left when I ordered last night. I will let you guys know how it is, and sounds. The last couple of albums have been no sonic wonders, that’s for sure. I guess they must still be selling as putting out these releases is on their nickel as they own the record label; glad to see this as a vinyl release. I saw a 10” Mavericks holiday song at my local store yesterday. I don’t think it’s from their new album. But it’s $14 for two songs, both in the under three minute range. That’s absurd and it’s been sitting there a long time. Anyway...will report back! Has anyone else heard the new album?

melstapler likes this.
  15. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I snagged it! Mainly for my girlfriend, she loves the band, but I dig it as well. We've only listened to it once so far, I don't really remember the details (we got it just a few days after it came out and have had too much going on for any repeated listening), but I think it sounded pretty good. We'll play it again soon now that it's after Thanksgiving. I think the single you saw is from last year, and if that is the case those two songs are on the new album (I haven't seen any new singles from them this year). Enjoy, I think it's a fun record.

Jrr likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m glad I passed on that 10” then...I was holding it but just couldn’t justify the price. I love the Santa song that was posted here elsewhere. Thanks for the info!

17. Chris DeVoe

Eventbrite.com has two dates for the Mavericks at Knuckleheads Saloon in Kansas City, April 26th and 27th, but tickets aren't available yet.

melstapler likes this.
  18. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll ever put Trampoline out on vinyl.

melstapler likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The Christmas album is holding up to repeated listening and it sounds very nice on vinyl!

melstapler likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Instant buy for me if they do. Kinda doubt it though.

fitzrik and melstapler like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you happen to hear of any Denver area bookings would love to know! Thanks Chris...

22. Chris DeVoe

I just checked their official site, and it has them hanging out in Florida in February (no fools them), going to Europe for March then back to the US in April.

The Mavericks

23. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I would say it's quite possible. Best selling album in their discography I presume. And all sort of records are getting issues/reissues these days. Easy money for MCA.

Jrr likes this.
  24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm not sure how they found the time to record new tracks while they are on their own never-ending-tour. Here's a cover of John Anderson's Swingin'!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for the updates on new cover of John Anderson song!

melstapler and stereoptic like this.