Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

From rolling stone dot calm: Neil Young Says Hyde Park Show Will Proceed Without Barclays as Sponsor.
    The news was announced in a post on the musician’s Neil Young Archives website. “NYA is happy to announce that the Hyde park show will proceed without Barclays as a sponsor,” the post read. “We are overjoyed, so happy to be playing the show! NYA tickets to all tiers will be available today. We will have the announcement and ticket sales up very soon.”

2. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Maybe in their prime this would be awesome. Both past their best IMO, Sadly.

pblmow likes this.
  3. In 1976 this would have been a heck of a show.Rolling Thunder plus Crazy Horse Zuma/Songs For Judy sets.Now nothing remotely at that level.

Maurice, keef285 and Andre Acvedo like this.
  4. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Now that would be amazing.

5. tonesforchris

tonesforchris Forum Resident

I had Diamond section tickets to Eric Clapton this year (which had the identical layout) that included access to the summer garden section to the side. It was a fantastic experience well worth the extra cost, the Diamond section is not tightly packed regardless of sellout crowds, I couldn't say what the capacity is but you didn't need to fight for a good spot as you had the entire front of the stage area to spread out across.

All of the Hyde Park concerts i've attended have been fantastic hot summer days, and having access to the summer garden was a great perk this year, as it meant being able to get food and drink in the gaps between bands on the main stage with almost no lining up, and then sit in the shade and enjoy it before returning to to the front section and being able to easily get a spot as good as the one I left earlier.

I have been in general admission at Hyde Park a couple times (my best experience being The Rolling Stones in 2013), but with the current layout even being on the front barrier means you are a long distance from the stage, however still a great fun experience if you just want to see the show and don't mind too much where you are.

6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dylan's recent shows have been OK. However, Neil with Promise of the Real is as good as he's ever been.

Daryl M and footlooseman like this.
  7. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Don’t underestimate the power of drugs!

8. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Too much Real, not enough Neil (or too much posing, not enough cosmic, to paraphrase Molina).

When Bob stops mumbling and slurring his words he's still a force to be reckoned with. His voice sounded dead for a while back there, playing up to the stereotype of mangler of his own songs, but the last few years (since 2013) have seen something of a revival.

For this reason in particular I liked the Sinatra albums: they got him back singing again.

I'm not necessarily convinced his recent show (or vocal style) is particularly suited to playing to 70,000 people outdoors, without the sympathetic atmosphere of an echoey and dimly-lit arena. But it's Bob Dylan: surprises happen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    arthurprecarious likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I think Bob’s recent shows were the best I’ve seen him in a long time. I went to 4 of the Beacon Theater shows.

vcpj, Efus and arthurprecarious like this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

That's funny...Neil had no problem playing that same festival in 2014 with that very same sponsor.....

I have no issue with morals......hypocrites however......

Beaneydave, Regandron and dtuck90 like this.
  11. RoyalPineapple

2014 was 4 years ago, I've no problem with him changing his mind as he goes along. That's how we all learn, isn't it?

What seems a little more hypocritical (or more likely just naive*) to my mind is his collaborations with factory farm giant Tyson Foods (including taking money from them to fund Pono), which is something I've asked him about via NYA.

Hopefully there will be no future dealings with this corporation. To be fair it's much more of an apparent issue with Willie Nelson, who doesn't seem to grasp the hopelessly-muddled thinking of lending his name to promote various Tyson-funded projects whilst simultaneously telling us all not to eat factory-farmed foods.

Then having the gall to say he "can't understand" why Farm Aid hasn't made more progress. An organisation that was originally bankrolled and catered for by Tyson; a move that could be loosely-comparable to letting Jimmy Savile host Children In Need.

*"Neil is great artist, not a great judge of character" - David Briggs.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    dockofthebay and Kiss73 like this.
  12. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Concert is confirmed to go ahead!

Having seen Neil and the Real in 2016, I can attest he's as good as he's ever been. I believe the European tour in 2016 saw a new side - less Real, more Neil. I understand there were concerns prior to this tour but the Rome/Glasgow shows were amongst the best I have seen him.

13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

From NME.com

A BST Hyde Park spokesman then told NME: “Neil Young has made the decision to move away from the Barclaycard presents British Summer Time concert series. Neil Young and Bob Dylan will play a stand-alone concert in Hyde Park on the same date, 12th July. All tickets will remain valid.“

I’m guessing Neil has given up a big portion of his ticket revenue to make this happen

dockofthebay and RoyalPineapple like this.
  14. RoyalPineapple

Either way he is standing up for his principles, and you can't knock him for that. He deserves respect for this.

dockofthebay likes this.
  15. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I hope they didn't wait too long..................:cool:

16. RoyalPineapple

Right. They did sound better in 2016, with a more restrained performance from POTR that pushed Neil's guitar back out front, where it belongs. I don't think it was as exciting as Crazy Horse or the Lost Dogs, for instance, but they still did a good job.

To me the whole band has a tendancy to feel like a jigsaw puzzle with a few too many pieces. Part of the success of 2016, I think, was that Lukas often played a much more restrained guitar part, which opened up the mix and gave Neil's guitar more room to breathe. Sometimes the best note to play is nothing, rather than noodling about for the sake of it.

dockofthebay likes this.
  17. This is not even meant as a criticism of Bob and Neil in particular ,although it applies to them, but if anyone thinks acts of their age are as good live now as they were when they were 40 years younger they are deluding themselves.

18. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I understand you point but some acts , 40 years on, might not have the range they had but have more experience.In some cases they have a better appreciation of the audience more material to draw on too.

peace and love✌Dave

dockofthebay and Efus like this.
  19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I never said Bob Dylan was better now than in 1965, or 1975..........but considering his age, the concerts at the Beacon I just saw was not somebody who is washed up.

20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Neil Young was better at Carnegie Hall in 2014, than he was stoned out of his mind playing acoustically in 1976 per the recent Songs For Judy release.

bobcat likes this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Also physical health and sobriety come into play as well.

Joe Walsh was in extremely bad shape in the early 90s.
    He plays and sings better today than he did back in 1993 because of serious substance abuse issues.

Beaneydave and footlooseman like this.
  22. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

As someone who has seen him twice over the past two years, I also definitely think he’s worth seeing live still if you have the chance. And while POTR don’t rock as hard as the Horse, they get the job done, and have the versatility needed to pull off quality performances of his acoustic material (though I will agree with those who said the 2016 tour had a bit more restraint and was less jammy in general).

footlooseman likes this.
  23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

He’d be a hypocrite if it was 2014. People change.

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Neil’s electric guitar playing is better than it’s ever been. He continues to hone his craft on that regard, and he’s in total control of his tone these days.

footlooseman and IHeartRecordsAz like this.
  25. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Off-topic but Mick Jagger, for one, is a better singer on stage now than he was in the 1970s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.