Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

is the world in a better place now than in 2014? maybe Neil is standing his ground more now for a reason.

2. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

His guitar playing is still very enjoyable nowadays but his playing from 1989-1996 (for example) was more sophisticated overall, as graceful and majestic as it was razor sharp.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  3. RoyalPineapple

Although I'm not the biggest fan of the sound on The Monsanto Years overall, there are moments on that album where his lead guitar playing is as good as ever.

4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Broadly I very much agree with that and it certainly applies to Dylan here IMHO. I've seen Neil maybe 12 times since the early 80"s and the show I saw a couple of years ago with POTR was as good as any. In the studio less so perhaps.

Chrome_Head and Efus like this.
  5. RoyalPineapple

I think more recent shows are going to seem more impressive, just because they are more vividly awake in our memories than ones from 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Overall I haven't heard many concert recordings from the last 3 years that reach the dizzying heights of what came before.

That said, the tour in 2016 was a good one and I think Neil is probaby correct that he picked the "best takes" of the year (2015) for Earth; an album which in my opinion benefits from all the creative overdubs to become one of his most exciting records of the last decade.

RayS likes this.
  6. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

arthurprecarious likes this.
  7. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Are these shows going to be professionally recorded for possible release?

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The Hyde Park shows are always filmed for later broadcast on Sky Arts. But given the two people involved, who knows?

melstapler likes this.
  11. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I absolutely agree. I made a stand in the early 2000s and refused to sell many of the popular gardening brands that were terrible for the environment and was laughed out of meetings with big suppliers who frankly couldn't have cared what their products were doing to the environment. Caring does not buy that flash BMW after all.

There was a report in 2000 (iirc) that was such a botch job paid for by the Roundup industry and its money men. The report claiming that glyphosate was not harmful to humans. I thought this was a little odd considering how much protective equipment was required to spray with it. When I attended a spraying course (PA1 and PA2F iirc) I asked why if it was harmless we needed to be dressed like we were preparing for chemical warfare. I was abruptly hushed of course.

The EU in February this year granted Roundup a five year extension to use glyphosate. Nothing has been learned by these greedy people and what we know now should guarantee the banning of these chemicals yet here we are, in one hand they tell us climate change is the most important issue of our time and in the next moment issue huge extensions to massive industry to further seal this planets fate.

12. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

An FYI for anybody using these chemicals.

Take a look at the back of the product and look up the ingredients. You will see that glyphosate is listed and how much is in a tub but what you won't find is the other 40 or 50 harmful chemicals used. This is because our politicians who claim to care for this planet are also imposing rules that suit big industry. So when a product is classified as a Herbicide for instance, the maker has to declare the herbicides present. But, they don't have to list the other chemicals because they are classified as inert in the action of herbicidal application. They have specific roles in the product but to make it hard for scientists to test the product with any accuracy they impose these rules on behalf of the maker and industry. If the scientist can't demonstrate exactly what part of the product causes cancer, kills fish, slow motility in sperm, renders crops harmful, helps destroy the planet then they can't make a legal recommendation.

So chemicals which harm people are hidden to protect the maker but a cake made by a church group needs to be labeled with everything from the ingredients to which hand was used to apply the cream if they would like to sell it. Go figure....

AnalogJ and melstapler like this.
  13. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Hopefully Aiken promotions hasn't jumped the gun but NY and BD to play Nowlan Park, Kilkenny, Ireland 14th July. Tickets on sale Monday.

Edit:
    Oops sorry didn't see it posted earlier.
    Got a bit excited.

14. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

The Kilkenny concert is advertised for 18.00.

Hyde Park concerts normally open at about 13.00, then there are several bands on throughout the day on 2 stages.

Are the people who bought tickets for the original Barclaycard concert (myself included) now going to be short-changed because of the withdrawal of the sponsorship?

I will be as pi**ed as Neil Young was if this is going to be the case.

15. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Anyone heard any rumours on who the support acts will be? It's gone very quiet since Neil threw a strop on sponsorship. I assume it's still happening? I also note that a lot of the other support acts for the other BST gigs have been announced, why the delay with Neil and Bob?

16. arthurprecarious

Laura Marling and Sam Fender

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

And Cat Power

arthurprecarious likes this.
  18. HastingsBoy

Anybody received their tickets yet? Any further update on support acts? Cheers.

19. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

e-ticket received earlier this week.

20. HastingsBoy

Presumably for the show in Ireland not Hyde Park?

21. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

No, I am talking about Hyde Park.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  22. HastingsBoy

Ok, many thanks. Will be checking my emails from now on.

23. janeb

janeb Well-Known Member

Hi I just got a diamond ticket from viagogo, but there wasn't loads of detail about what's included..does anyone know if there's a dedicated entrance or if you come in through general gates? Is there early entry? Also, I'm reading that the stage is pretty tall, so do I take from that that it's not actually advantageous to be right at the front? (I'm short).
    Having never been to a Hyde park gig before, and not being able to find much fine detail about the venue, thought I'd ply you good people with tonnes of questions...eg: anyone know what you can/can't take in re food/drink/bags please? I'm on my own, so once I've staked my claim I may not be moving far from it and I'm going to need supplies! Thanks

24. arthurprecarious

You can go in and out of the Diamond Square at Will. Can’t take own food or drink in but there’s plenty of concession stands. Expensive though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  25. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I did Diamond for Paul Simon last year and I am in the same area this year for Dylan/Young.

As @arthurprecarious mentioned, there are plenty of food and drink concessions nearby and there is also a free fresh water stand. There is a dedicated entrance area. I don’t have the information to hand but I will send you a pm.

The stage is quite high. You may be ok towards the front for Neil but Bob tends to sit/stand well back from the front of the stage.

I would not worry too much about staking a claim to a particular spot. There is plenty of room and the sight lines are good no matter where you are standing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.