New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I needed to clean mine. Sounded like some residue was left in the groove after pressing. Played perfectly after cleaning.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    DrZhivago likes this.
  2. Norco74

Digital is 2D: 0’s and 1’s.:D

xfilian, drum_cas and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  3. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

:D

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm not saying any sound in any way bad. I picked a couple I think are beatable by some margin but IMO others are better than the 70s pressings I have. The main bonus of these pressings is they are not significantly inferior in sound to originals while having quieter surfaces.

Norco74 likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Tonally it's pretty close if a little brighter. Best I've heard other than the earliest pressings. The BG sound a little flatter and cleaner (less analogue goodness).

Octavian likes this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re original pressings of Dark Side and onwards albums. These albums sold by the truck load in a way that I do not think can be imagined now. Dark Side in the UK album chart for years on end. My goodness that is a lot of records manufactured and that is just for the UK. I bought my first Dark Side in late 73 I think, so although I could say it is a 73 version goodness knows where it stands in relation to first pressings. I bought WYWH on release but again so did an awful lot of other folk. As Lou sang those were different times. Folk would queue for a record back then which is now only done on RSD with all those fake collectables.
    Re the new vinyl reissues I think they are high quality and should last for years and years. Good to have Floyd back on vinyl. I just hope we get hi res (downloads, sacd, blu-ray etc) of the original albums one day soon.

DaveJ, Dr Jackson and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got TDSOTM record in mail today. Thoroughly ultrasonic cleaned the new Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon 2016 reissue Bernie Grundman vinyl.

Spun it and was blown away by the quiet background. A glossy sound not over compressed I had to turn it up to hear it loud, perfect. I'm thrilled at this reissue vinyl as my 40th anniversary reissue vinyl of TDSOTM was a snap crackle pop experience. I swear I almost smashed that record and through it out the window.

Two thumbs up for a quiet background and a beautiful glossy sound of this BG 2016 reissued record. I do like the textured gatefold it adds a beautiful packaging experience for whom purchases this record.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  8. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Yep. It's my go-to, they tamed a lot of the IGD which I can be sure of since my turntable is linear. I have a few other pressings including the Japan Pro-Use, but this is the one I reach for 9 times out of 10. I really like the mix, BG sure has good ears for an old timer.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Don't think Spin Clean can help me here as I already cleaned it multiple times. How did you clean yours?

Regards

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

So I guess the mono Piper is not going to be having a general rerelease. Such a shame, I refuse to pay stupid prices for the RSD release.

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I didn't know there were US pressings of the 30th DSOTM. I thought they were all pressed in Holland. Mine is.

I think the problems with sibilance on some pressings on some systems (ok, maybe most systems here) is endemic to most versions.
    Isn't this one reason it's been touted as record that challenges a system?

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, but also I remember some people here talking about extremely noisy pressings (pops and clicks and etc) and it was suggested that there was a US pressing that was markedly inferior. I can't verify the truth of that though because mine is an EU pressing.

13. HiFi Guy 008

Regarding the DSOTM 30th:

I think we're all talking about the same pressing: Holland
    Never seen nor heard of a US pressing of the 30th.

Was just in Barnes & Noble today and gave my "gentle hints" that included Meddle and Atom Heart Mother.

I know there are plenty of Meddle originals in VG condition to go around, but are these good remasterings? I like the cd remaster of Meddle but keep going back to the Japan for US and also prefer it to the MFSL cd - by far.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. Elvis Melvis

Elvis Melvis New Member

Has anyone with a US copy of WYWH has got matrix numbers: 88875184261-A BG 18958 2A and 88875184261-A BG 18959 (17693 scratched out) 1 B

It's like the Doug Sax 2011 matrix but it has BG on it.

15. Elvis Melvis

Elvis Melvis New Member

I forgot to add it's a 2016 with a Bernie Grundman sticker on the outside.

16. Dr Jackson

Yep, I accidentally bought the first run of those reissues without BG on the hype sticker. Later I bought the correct one with BG. I haven't done a side by side but if it was enough to bump the matrix number it's quite possibly a different mix.

17. Norco74

Different remaster. 2011 Doug Sax vs 2016 Bernie Gundman.

Before you ask, both sound different and are equally good IMO. BG been on the mellow side.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Dr Jackson

Thanks for the detail. I own way too many copies of this album already...picked up an early 80's reissue last summer just due to the age/condition. I'm sure the BG is the ideal sound of all of them, something about his little touches really resonates with me.
    G i

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah both are very good...very different but good.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Spinning AMLOR tonight. Incredible sound on this 2016 reissue. Of course I still like my original 1987 vinyl.

drum_cas likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

What textured gatefold? Mine is smooth matte.

22. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Smooth matte is a texture, no?

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's matte, but almost like a smooth velvet when touched. No other way to describe it.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. I have Meddle and WYWH from this series and, while good, I’m not blown away at the sonics on these when compared to originals.

Are there any of these that folks believe match/beat the originals? Looking at Ummagumma and OBC specifically as my 70s issues of those are not great sonically

25. Norco74

The new OBC is definitely one of the best in this new reissue campaign. Ummagumma has also been improved from previous mastering.