Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

There's a bunch of tour singles that have never been compiled -- mostly 7" but I do have a cool one on a 3" cd.

team2 likes this.
  2. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Million dollar question: should there be a new Switched On, are they capable of then resisting the temptation to promptly release a tour single...? :targettiphat:

3Dman and vcpj like this.
  3. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Overall these two sides comprise one of my favorite songs of all time.

reverberationmusic likes this.
  4. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I’m guessing that one is in a kind of no man’s land. I assume it didn’t get included with the other EPs on Oscillons because it was on Too Pure. But it missed being included on the first Switched On, and being an ep, it wasn’t included in the recent Too Pure lp reissues.

5. 3Dman

Probably not. The beginning of Vol. 5.

reverendjim likes this.
  6. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

This is what I’m most interested in. I own two copies simply to have both sides centered...the pressings of this were disastrous.

7. Zapruder

Isn’t this on Refried?

8. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

No.
    You may be thinking of the songs with Nurse With Wound that originally appeared on Crumb Duck.

9. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Just "Animal or Vegetable" and "Exploding Head Movie" are on Refried Ectoplasm

Hallogallo likes this.
  10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm very happy to hear that Stereolab is getting back together, at least on some limited basis. I would think that a Switched On, Volume 4 would be an easy and logical way to get a new piece of product out there on the Merch Stand.

I doubt if they'll be playing anywhere near me and as much as I loved my time in Barcelona 40-odd years ago, I'm WAY too old for a marathon outdoor festival now. If they played in Istanbul I would consider going. I went to Budapest to see a concert in May and I doubt if I'd repeat the experience (although I will keep my eye on Deerhunter's summer of 2019 Euro Tour).

Welcome back, GROOP!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    team2, 3Dman, Neonbeam and 2 others like this.
  11. 3Dman

Hmm, I didn’t know that. I’m going to have to check my copy when I get home.

12. Zapruder

Check the deadwax. To my knowledge, there are three variants: one with side A on both sides, one with both sides represented but with side A off center, and one pressed well (clear wax Duophonic).

3Dman likes this.
  13. 3Dman

Well, I’m pleased to say mine isn’t off center, and has both proper sides. Black vinyl. A bit crazier than I remember!

14. Zapruder

Huh. Bully for you!

3Dman likes this.
  15. 3Dman

I must’ve got lucky. I still should check the deadwax and post it. There’s a few variations on Discogs.

16. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Here's hoping that the reissue campaign includes CD versions with extra tracks and improved packaging!

17. Zapruder

I sincerely doubt we will see any bonus tracks, and how can you improve on the packaging?

jupiter8 likes this.
  18. 3Dman

So this is my copy of Low-Fi, A2/B2 matrix with a fade-out instead of a locked groove.
    Stereolab - Low Fi
    Not off-center and both sides correct. There are 6 versions on there.
    Judging by the results there, it could use a quality repress.

Dolemite likes this.
  19. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Just for what it is worth I have a copy of Low Fi with a locked groove and it's pressed fine so there must be some copies out there. Anyways very much looking forward to this reissue campaign, I only have Mars Audiac Quintet and the first disc of ETK on gold vinyl. Hope they release in a variety of cool colors instead of just clear like all the reissues so far. I'm not a colored vinyl person usually but the Stereolab stuff seems to benefit from it

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely! The original vinyl looked great in the first place. "Transient" on gold vinyl, "Mars" with bonus 7", "Emperor" on yellow glitter double vinyl in unipack, "Dots" on green/ white wax (also in unipack), "Sound Dust" in booksleeve. What else could one possibly want??

21. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Exactly, I hope they replicate these

22. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

Flyer for the 'lab's visit to my home town Cork in March 1996 with Tortoise in tow... Sadly I never did get to this gig, I was in college at the time and couldn't rustle up interest among my Brit-popping friends, but I did grab a flyer for posterity, which was squirreled away in my Dots and Loops LP for years until this thread jogged my memory. I must admit I think I regret not seeing Tortoise more than Stereolab, if my chronology is right, Millions Now Living Will Never Die had just been released and word was filtering thru that it was something special...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  23. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've seen Tortoise and I've seen Stereolab, both in the 90's and beyond. Stereolab was a thrilling live band... Tortoise, not so much.

24. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Interesting your Disc 2 is solid green -- mine's translucent marble green. Wonder how may variations there were?

[​IMG]

Echoes Myron and GordonM like this.
  25. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Discogs shows the Drag City disk marbled 'blue-green' and I can see your sleeve is Drag City. Still looks nice! Duophonic was disc 2 green, disc 1 white.

team2 likes this.