“The Conners” to premiere October 16th 2018 on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

‘The Conners’: ABC Eyes Expanded Season 2; Cast Negotiations Underway

‘The Conners’: ABC Eyes Expanded Season 2; Cast Negotiations Underway

By Nellie Andreeva
    Deadline

Continuing the story of the Conner family without its matriarch was a risky proposition, and, thankfully for ABC, it worked. Spinoff series The Conners has done well and, not surprisingly, ABC would like a second installment.

I hear negotiations are underway with the core cast for a 13-episode Season 2. That would be up from the 11 episode in its current first season and the 9 for the lone season of the Roseanne revival. The cast of The Conners is led by Roseanne alums including Sara Gilbert, who also serves as an executive producer, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Lecy Goranson. As has been the case with the Roseanne revival and The Conners’ first season, there are issues with Metcalf and Goodman’s busy schedules that need to be worked out but I hear everyone is willing to return and talks are going smoothly.

Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert reportedly were paid $375,000 an episode for Season 1 of The Conners, up significantly from about $250,000 an episode each got for the new Roseanne. I hear the trio is expected to get another salary bump for Season 2 of The Conners. All parties involved declined comment,

Here is why pursuing a second season of The Conners has been a no-brainer for ABC. The blue collar family sitcom averages 10.2 million total viewers and a 2.4 adults 18-49 rating (most current). It is the season’s #1 new comedy in total viewers and 18-49 and ABC’s #1 comedy this season in total viewers and 18-49 (tied with Modern Family). It is also ABC’s most watched series in Live+Same Day and is running neck and neck with Grey’s Anatomy in 18-49, which is important as broadcast networks put a premium of live viewing for the impact of commercials.

The Conners aired its fall finale earlier this week, with the remaining episodes slated to return in January. It is unclear whether negotiations with the cast, reported about by TVLine earlier today, will be completed by then but I hear it’s possible.

2. I'm still enjoying it.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wasn't that interested in the past few episodes but I enjoyed this week's installment and would welcome more of this. Laurie was very funny this week. I've developed a thing for Becky. I don't know why. I find her interesting.

My only complaint is that the cast is so large and sprawling that you go weeks sometimes without seeing certain characters and then when they return you're like, "oh, I forgot this person was even on the show". DJ and his wife come and go, kids come and go, maybe come back for one line just to remind you they are there. It's okay, it gives the show lots of options as far as what story to tell that week, but sometimes I worry that DJ has been abducted by aliens or something.

4. I think they limit DJ's appearances because he was and is a lousy actor.

5. music4life

music4life Senior Member

The wife and I are enjoying it more than the original revival. Hoping Katy Sagel becomes a permanent cast member

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This is not true. What the article quotes are essentially the (significantly-higher) ratings for the first episode, not the seasonal average. Here's the updated ratings for this season:

10/16: 10.6 million total viewers, 2.4 rating in the key demo
    10/23: 7.9 million total viewers, 1.7 rating in the key demo
    10/30: 7.7 million total viewers, 1.8 rating in the key demo
    11/13: 6.9 million total viewers, 1.5 rating in the key demo
    11/20: 6.86 million total viewers 1.4 rating in the key demo
    11/27: 7.31 million total viewers, 1.4 rating in the key demo
    12/4: 6.63 million total viewers, 1.3 in the key demo
    12/11: 6.67 million total viewers, 1.4 in the key demo

Glad to hear they are talking about another season though.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

do you know if that includes DVR stats?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I never watch the show live so if my streaming doesn't count I want to apologize for hurting the shows chances of survival. 8 p.m. isn't a good time for me. I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm guessing not, because I compiled it from next-morning reports of ratings. They don't get back DVR stats that quickly, do they?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

I've been watching some episodes a week later on the abc site, so there's another viewer. :)

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A wise idea...

kevywevy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

they don't

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Finally caught up on this and really enjoyed it. Roseanne was never my favorite character and the expanded cast is excellent.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've watched every episode. I'm sticking with it.

905 likes this.
  15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Me too. At this point, I don’t even really miss Roseanne any more. Lecy and Laurie in particular are great in their roles right now.

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting that some certain news sites were saying that Roseanne was failing all season. Yes it dropped a bit but it is still doing well. ABC wouldn't have ordered another season otherwise.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There are rumors that there are ongoing discussions about a second season, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Obviously, some people had an investment in seeing the series fail for reasons that had very little to do with the actual series. But as you say, ratings have settled in at a fairly consistent level from the fourth episode on, after an initial drop. Here's the latest seasonal ratings summary:
    10/16: 10.6 million total viewers, 2.4 rating in the key demo
    10/23: 7.9 million total viewers, 1.7 rating in the key demo
    10/30: 7.7 million total viewers, 1.8 rating in the key demo
    11/13: 6.9 million total viewers, 1.5 rating in the key demo
    11/20: 6.86 million total viewers 1.4 rating in the key demo
    11/27: 7.31 million total viewers, 1.4 rating in the key demo
    12/4: 6.63 million total viewers, 1.3 rating in the key demo
    12/11: 6.67 million total viewers, 1.4 rating in the key demo
    1/8: 6.88 million total viewers, 1.4 rating in the key demo
    1/15: 6.65 million total viewers, 1.3 rating in the key demo

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

If Fuller House can do so well Conners can too

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just looked at Will and Grace's ratings and they are less than half of Roseanne's so I would assume it would get renewed? Now I'm actually worried about W&G getting renewed after comparing! Murphy Brown even has more viewers than W&G but less than the Conners.

20. Matthew Tate

I think they will bring it back for 1 more short season and wrap it all up

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It got renewed for a second season.

22. Matthew Tate

just today? how many episodes?

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

With Goodman and Metcalf involved you know the window for this series is short. I'm enjoying it-the writing has a lived-in casual style to it that thoroughly accommodates the actors and their well-worn characters. And we really need as little of DJ as is possible.

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Metcalf in particular has a busy schedule as she'll be on Broadway from mid-March until roughly June (possibly later) and it's not like she can take a few days off here and there.
    Anyway, loving The Conners, don't miss Rosanne at all and Lecy Goranson is doing beautifully with her character. Hell, I'm even enjoying Juliet Lewis. And Becky's new boyfriend is a real cutie. Glad they're getting a second season and count me in for hoping Katey Sagal becomes a full time cast member.

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

A few days ago I found about it.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.