Target's Heydey $99 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmobrien68, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You do realize that even if you try to adjust for inflation, no real-live average non-audiophile young person today is going to buy a $700 turntable, even if they somehow have the money.

Many audio snobs keep forgetting that average people just aren't in the market for an audiophile turntable. They also forget that they are less than 1% of the population. Audio gear snobs tend to live in a bubble. $100 sounds just right for most people in the year 2018.

2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

‘Back in the day’, when I would shoot the bull with many different stereo shop sales guys, they all pretty much said that 200 bucks was the ‘magic price point’ to which most typical buyers were willing to go to for a component, but not much past (if at all)...

I suspect $200 (or $199, whatever) is still sorta kinda that magic price point, despite the fact that inflation makes that back-in-the-day 200 bucks more like $500 in today’s money...

And that’s fine, there’s good components out there for $200, or close. Like U-Turn turntables, AudioEngine bookshelf speakers, etc. etc.

Point is, ppl don’t have to settle for $99 stuff (or worse, Crosley) if it isn’t good, since there’s stuff that is that doesn’t cost that much more. Not that the Heyday isn’t okay. It might be. Or it might not.

And while audiophiles may be only 1-2% of the general population, we definitely punch way above our weight, given our buying power and, most importantly, our willingness to actually USE it on quality stuff.

Just sayin’. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    PhilBiker, Subagent and SirMarc like this.
  3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I picked one of these up for my kids. It's really simple to set up the feet have springs for suspension, which is kinda cool. Looks good, and the dustcover and hinges are surprising solid.

Unfortunately it sounds terrible and has major speed issues, especially playing 45s. Not too surprised I guess.

It's funny that the guy in the unboxing video mentions how heavy it is. It's not heavy at all.

OldSoul, Aftermath, PhilBiker and 7 others like this.
  4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Thanks for taking one for the team. Are you keeping it for your kids?

PhilBiker and uzn007 like this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Yeah, they had a Crosley that literally lasted a few weeks before breaking (not the kids' fault, just bad quality), so this should be fine as a replacement.

PhilBiker, SandAndGlass and forthlin like this.
  6. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

This really saddens me. I was looking forward to grabbing this for the bedroom, but I guess not now :-(

7. Grant

I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, $299 is about where most TTs that even try to appeal to those interested in better sound start. But, from my personal observation and from talking with plain, average folks, that magic price point has come down, and is probably why that Target table, the Crossley table, and a couple of others are priced right around $100.

SandAndGlass and bever70 like this.
  8. Grant

Well, that's the deal-breaker. I would not even consider it for a gift.

Say, has anyone ever reviewed the Crossley-branded Pro-ject table? I'm wondering how that sounds. It can't be any worse that my old Music Hall 2.1.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Ouch. Unfortunately, you get what you paid for for a $99usD player and it doesn’t surprise me much that QC gets thrown out of the window when you get a Crosley, Victoria, Audio Technics LP60, and now that one.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  10. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

11. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I decided to box it up and take it back. I didn’t detect any speed issues on 33 1/3, but maybe someone with a beter ear than myself can in my video. After thinking about it, I will just keep my Music Hall over at my mom’s. Maybe my daughter will want it when she is older.

I don’t think the Heyday is a horrendous TT, it’s just obviously not what we are used to. The sound quality isn’t there, but I bet it’s better or equal to 99% of the kickstarters of the week we see around here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Grant

Hey, I didn't know they had more than one branded Pro-ject model. God to know. Many would say that they are only Crossleys in name, and they would be right. What is pictured above is a great started machine. But, again, for some reason, I rarely see them in stores. You can't just walk into a Target or Walmart and pick one of these up. And, if you do a quick Google search, what are the first models you see? The poo-poo that we all know and hate. It's only people like us that will dig a bit for the real thing. When most people think of or see Crossley, they think of those ghastly all-in-one pieces of bat dung.

At $138 on sale, the price of that turntable is still good. That model pictured above still isn't perfect. I have an old Music hall 2.1 that doesn't have perfect speed stability, but the belt is probably due for replacement, or the motor is going bad. The resonance isn't damped that well, but, most average people would probably not notice it too much or at all.

SandAndGlass and PhilBiker like this.
  13. Grant

That sound about what you will get for $99. I do hear wow and flutter, and the pitch seems a wee fast. The rest of the sound quality? That cheap AT cart probably has something to do with that. But, average non-audiophiles may not even notice. The good thing is that it won't tear up your records.

I am more familiar with the sound that the Crossley-branded Pro-ject table may give, so I would still go with that.

14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Fremer has reviewed the C10 at Analog Planet. Solid review. There's another one or two out there as well. It's basically a Debut III with wood veneer. A 2.2 would be better, though.

Grant likes this.
  15. Grant

Yup. It's the same table as my old Music Hall 2.1 with the updated tone arm. It is a good starter TT.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. SpeedMorris

It's also like the older Pro-Ject 1.2, with the lighter Debut platter. Same arm, it seems.

PhilBiker and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

Now, if Crossley could brand a suitable amplifier, they could kick their plastic and wooden junk to the side and step up in the world. Gain some respectability for their brand.

I'm thinking that the main problem with the Target table is the motor. Upgrade that and maybe even place a drop or two of synthetic motor oil in the drive shaft could help.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  18. SpeedMorris

I haven't seen any independent corroboration re: the C6, but it must be a Pro-Ject. The platter looks like a (lighter?) version of the Debut platter. The arm looks pretty right, but not a familiar look with the rear of it and the cheap looking mounting. Does it seem a little short? The <$140 price makes it a pretty attractive option for the theoretical 16-year old who can't/won't consider used or vintage. ($131+ for the walnut tonight). A cheap mini amp and Monoprice speakers makes a $200 package.

I have doubts that the C3 is a Pro-Ject, though. Could be, but it seems like Heinz might have to draw a line somewhere. 4 pounds. Not a Pro-Ject switch. ($107 in black tonight.)

I didn't even realize there was a C8 until this thread. Can't say Crosley isn't trying. That one definitely looks Asian, with the Fluance looking plinth and and Denon-Teac-etc arm. The outside belt is a different twist.

Grant likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

I Recommended to a friend of a friend that she look at one of these as an X-mas gift for her kid. I offered to set it up, so hopefully they'll take me up on that. I'd like the challenge of making it sound decent. If I do get the chance, I'll throw all my setup tools at it and report back.

20. [QUOTE="SpeedMorris, post: 20117600, member: 66782"<$140 price makes it a pretty attractive option for the theoretical 16-year old who can't/won't consider used or vintage. ($131+ for the walnut tonight). [/QUOTE]

non theoretical 16 year old here, would this be a worthwhile option to buy? I have an extra 60 to burn too so I'm wondering what cartridge i should get to replace the one it comes with if the answer to the previous question is yes.

21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

non theoretical 16 year old here, would this be a worthwhile option to buy? I have an extra 60 to burn too so I'm wondering what cartridge i should get to replace the one it comes with if the answer to the previous question is yes.[/QUOTE]
    The best cartridge IMO for low cost is the Audio Technica VM95E for $50.

22. SpeedMorris

non theoretical 16 year old here, would this be a worthwhile option to buy? I have an extra 60 to burn too so I'm wondering what cartridge i should get to replace the one it comes with if the answer to the previous question is yes.[/QUOTE]

Welllll, if you have that extra $60 and can get a short term loan of $25 more, I would suggest going to musicdirect.com and plunking down $225 for a Music Hall 2.2 while they and/or the price are there. You'll be a couple of tiers up ($160 to $450). It doesn't have a phono preamp (which is good), but you could grab the best rated cheapo Behringer or whatever for the moment if you need one.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  23. Grant

I ran into a former co-worker last night who gleefully told me he was into buying tons of new albums. I asked what kind of turntable he has and he said he got some $89 USB one from Best Buy. I tried my best to not say anything negative, but did say that when he gets a couple of hundred more dollars to play with to come see me and I would set him up nicely without breaking his budget. But, with as many new albums he was buying, he could have bought a nice little starter (real) system.

PhilBiker, SpeedMorris and nosliw like this.
  24. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

I bought one of these yesterday, just because I’m stubborn and wanted to try it out. Set it up, threw on my “test record” and connected it to the only BT speaker I had charged which is a little $5 one from Five Below that has no volume control. Sounded great though on first listen. Will report back with more findings.

25. Grant

Next, try it through your stereo rig. I think that's what a lot of us want to know.

vinylfilmaholic and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.