Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Orchestra-Dance-Suite-Hungarian-National/dp/B0001HOXU0

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Thanks for that info. I live under a rock, so only now am I reading some articles on Fischer's positions.

Listening to Messiaen TURANGALILA by Cambreling, and wondering what brothels Boulez frequented.
    This time through this piece, I was impressed most at how I didn't know if I liked it from moment to moment. Even the occasional passages of game-show kitsch are suffused with strangeness and uneasiness. I'm sure I've heard this piece a half-dozen times over many years and it only becomes stranger to me.

Also this molten muddle:

[​IMG]

Shostakovich: LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK
    (Rostropovich et al - EMI, 1979)

I didn't know who Galina Vishnevskaya was when I saw Aleksandr Sokurov's ALEXANDRA years ago, so it was a bit of a shock in hindsight to realize who the lead actress was:
    [​IMG]

ubertrout likes this.
  3. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Stravinsky: [BALLETS] (LSO/Abbado - DG, 2cd)

I think it's a fine set in very good sound, though I have spent enough time with this music over the past several months that I am not sure any of these performances strike me as favorites. I am not an anti-Abbado guy, either! It's a solid set, anyway.
    I've only been RITE-less for two months or so, and it's still a delicious, jagged, exotic piece of music.

ToniFromMars and crispi like this.
  4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

This is my go to version:

[​IMG]

ToniFromMars, McLover and rockerreds like this.
  5. California Couple

[​IMG][​IMG]

Strange but true. As the birds fly, Igor Stravinsky only lived seven houses away from the Whiskey A Go Go.

vanhooserd and Matt Richardson like this.
  6. California Couple

[​IMG][​IMG]

And Sergei Rachmaninoff only twelve from the Troubadour, as the birds fly.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  7. California Couple

Ooops, my mistake. Sergie died in 1943, 14 years before the Troubadour opened.

8. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

How have they been remastered? Digitally I assume!, Still that set looks sexy!

9. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Amazing.

I finished the Messiaen/Cambreling set with more admiration than enjoyment. Liked some of the pieces much more than before (POEMES POUR MI) and some rather less (TURANGALILA, DES CANYONS). Very good sound.
    [​IMG]
    Messiaen: CATALOGUE D'OISEAUX (Anatol Ugorski - DG, 3cd)

Also much less thrilled about this piece than I once was. Probably not Ugorski's fault! Some fascinating colors, though.

Also a recording of QUARTET FOR THE END OF TIME performed by Messiaen with the Pasquier Trio.

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was looking for a CD with Beethovens first two symphonies, as I had sort of neglected them. First I got from Amazon a Japanese import of Jochum and Berlin on DG, recorded around 1959. The performances seem good, but the mastering is brutal. One of the worst classical masterings I have heard, sounding extremely bright and treble boosted. I could not finish the disc as I realized in disgust I had completely wasted $20. I usually avoid remastered discs, and I am reminded why. Then for under $7 each I bought Dohnanyi and Cleveland on Telarc, and Solti Chicago on London, both from around 1990. The Solti is the winner and keeper for me. These are strong, swift, direct, and propulsive performances, with excellent sound quality. Natural, well balanced, with good warmth and bass.

11. California Couple

[​IMG]

Just got this. Released in 1984, so I am only 34 years behind. Such a nice work.

ToniFromMars, crispi and J.A.W. like this.
  12. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

J.S. Bach: THE COMPLETE LITURGICAL YEAR IN 64 CANTATAS
    (La Petite Bande, Sigiwald Kuijken - Accent, 19cd, 2017 - recorded 2004-2014)

From here to the new year. I kind of wish I'd used them HIP style and only played each cantata on its intended date to give them a sense of occasion, as a retort to bingeing. Maybe I will do just that next year.

Wounded Land likes this.
  13. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Samuel Barber: COMPLETE ORCHESTRAL WORKS (Royal Scottish NO, Marin Alsop - Naxos, 6cd)

Another little project for this week. Tonight the symphonies.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  14. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Shostakovich: COMPLETE STRING QUARTETS
    (Borodin Quartet [II] - Melodiya, 6cd, rec.1978-1983)

Tough stuff, baby. I think the sound is fine, only one disc in. The playing is gorgeous. Not to be confused with the earlier incarnation of the group, the incomplete cycle issued by Chandos. The cover art is a still life of cello with cow and Vader helmet.
    This is another set that stayed on my shelf unheard for.....six years after I purchased it. That is insane!

Daedalus, Marzz, Bachtoven and 2 others like this.
  15. California Couple

I thought Bruckner only made 9 Symphonies, dying during the last one which is why it only has 3 movements.

But now I read where he made 11?

What's up with that?

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. California Couple

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No. You could call them "study symphonies".

California Couple likes this.
  19. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

I was irritated enough by the Messiaen I listened to last week, that I felt the need to come back for more!
    I think I am going to work my way through everything here, over the next few weeks. Also listening to all of this on better speakers and with more attention.

[​IMG]

Messiaen: COMPLETE EDITION (Deutsche Grammophon, 32cd, 2008)

Right now it's Roger Muraro playing the piano music.

Marzz likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Anybody here heard the Stewart Goodyear recording of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations? If so, what did you think of it?

21. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Early this morning, J.S. Bach's cantata BWV151 by Sigiwald Kuijken et al. Pure balm. I am still not used to the gossamer textures, though I thought I'd heard a number OVPP recordings before. A detractor would call the sound "thin", but I am warming up to it. It's crystalline.

Later this morning, Messiaen's Vingt Regards by Muraro. My first time to listen to this piece in years, after having my appetite recently whet by a few little excerpts on an Angela Hewitt disc. My last memory of it was hearing the composer Anton Batagov's (iirc) super slow reading of it. An opiate for the happy few!

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been spending the last several weeks with Stewart Goodyear's complete set. My reactions are here: [Music review] Tireless Beethoven from Goodyear

23. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Dammit! The last thing I needed was another Beethoven Sonata set ;)
    But, thanks to your excellent review, I'll have to check these out. I even considered the downloads to save some shelf space, but your mention of the booklet/liner notes will likely sway me towards the CD set. These are missing from the otherwise quite inexpensive downloads from 7 digital.
    Thanks again :thumbsup:

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Any time--always glad to help spend other peoples' money! :winkgrin: But thanks for the kind words, and if you do buy the set, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Marzz likes this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Op.26 today. Fantastic performances and sound.

[​IMG]