10 Best Record Stores In The USA

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sons of nothing, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ve been to two of them, and they’re pretty good! But I thought that Bananas Records in St. Pete’s, Florida was pretty darn good vinyl warehouse when I was there this summer.

3. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I'm visiting NYC and Washington DC in March 2019. Love to hear about some more contenders in those locations...?

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

They posted a picture of the Queen Anne Easy Street, which closed years ago.

Trace likes this.
  5. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

DC - Red Onion and Crooked Beat in Adams Morgan and CD Cellar in Falls Church

6. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I know the common thing is to point out the flaws in these lists, but Jackpot Records isn't even the best record store in its own zip code. In fact, it might be the worst.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m more than surprised that Good Records - NYC made the list.

Jeff Kent and Exit Flagger like this.
  8. Millennium is the place in Portland.

Good Records doesn't rate for me, and I've been there. In that region of the country, Princeton Record Exchange would have been a better selection.

Newbury no longer rates as being very good, but Bull Moose in Portland, ME would have been a good sub.

Euclid Records in New Orleans should have made the list.

Grimey's was a good choice although I wish it were organized better.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Was it good? Must have gottern better. I was there 20 years ago and was appalled at the lack of quality anything there.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Electric Fetus is a great store. The St. Cloud location closed a few years ago but I used to go there all the time when I lived St. Cloud. I had many friends/acquaintances who worked at the St. Cloud location. I've never been to the Duluth store though.

Cheapos is great as well with 3 locations in the Twin Cities. The St. Paul store is the only one of the three that I have not been to.

11. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Hah! Totally. And what a great location it was, especially for in-stores, before a big bank kicked them out. Very glad they made the list none the less. I disagree that Sonic or Everyday could have easily replaced EZ in this list. EZ is different, it's part of the West Seattle community. You never feel like you're in a touristy destination record store like you do with Amoeba or Grimey's; you always feel like you're in your local neighborhood store with friends. It's truly one of the best record stores in the world for me...I've been to five on this list and was a long time EZ neighbor, so maybe I'm biased, but if you're ever in Seattle jump on the C from downtown, head to EZ, wait in line for the cafe for an hour, and enjoy yourself.

And if you find yourself in Seattle on Record Store Day, show up at 4:00 AM and wait for the free bacon. Thanks, Matt, for everything, and congrats on the recognition... :)

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Jackpot is ok but they seem to sell bootleg copies of studio albums, usually on coloured vinyl. I don't like that.

Just a theory on my part, don't sue me.

hi_watt and black sheriff like this.
  13. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

That picture of Amoeba Records is about 1/6 to 1/8 of the entire store. When it is busy, they might have about 15-20 registers going at once. It IS the Mecca for record/CD buying. They have big sections for blow-out sale CDs that sell for $1.99 or $2.99 and are buy 3, get 4th free. I can usually find good selections in that section. I go there about once every 1-2 months and the hours just fly by when you are in there browsing. Even at that you can only cover a fraction of the inventory.

I love Amoeba.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

15. Myke Reid

Myke Reid Forum Resident

Crooked Beat is now in Alexandria, VA at 802 North Fairfax St. Crooked Beat Records

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

And with the Good Records photo they decided to include all of the Shutterstock database keywords in the captions :unhunh: #sloppyjournalism

17. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

IMO these ratings make no sense because everything constantly changing. Also what is interesting and desirable to one person could be absolutely uninteresting to someone else.
    Example: "Academy" in NYC on E18 st. It was great with used vinyl for several past years, but for last 5-6 months I can hardly find anything worth buying there. Just lots of jazz and "run of the mill" US rock pressings which I don't care for. Prices went up too. How do you like 1980s Beatles reissue for $30 or US King Crimson LP for $35?

18. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I feel like these are primarily iconic stores but not necessarily the best. Take Amoeba; cool history and huge but I've had way more luck at places like The Glass House, Gimme Gimme, Freakbeat, and even Permanent in the LA area.

AaronW, Twinsfan007, rcrawley and 2 others like this.
  19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I struck out so badly at the Los Angeles Amoeba that I thought little invisible gremlins were taking everything away! Probably the biggest record shopping disappointment I've ever had.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    black sheriff likes this.
  20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Jackpot is NOT the best in Portland. :shake:

131east23, anth67, bopdd and 2 others like this.
  21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Why doesn't Rolling Stone expand the number on the list and make it a Special Edition® on the topic?

22. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

No kidding? Used to be the store down the street from my apartment. Got some good gems there. Not one of my absolute favorites but great for newer stuff. Heading back to DC on Tuesday for the holidays. Gonna have to skip that one.

23. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Of course they would! This is the Information Age .

NumberEight likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Might as well take some time and give shout outs to:

Angry Mom Records - basement of Autumn Leaves, Ithaca, NY
    Last Vestige - Albany, NY
    and
    Princeton Record Exchange - Princeton, NJ

as well as my locals, Embassy Vinyl and Gallery of Sound.

I've also found things at 2nd and Charles (Whitehall, PA and Harrisburg, PA) and Wonder Book (Frederick, MD).

DME1061 and zphage like this.
  25. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The St. Paul store is now the smallest of the three. At one time it was the largest but it burnt down some years ago and they relocated to their old space across the street. It is still a good sized store, just not the largest of tbe three.

Platterpus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.