Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And here we go, courtesy this time of Esquire, some predictions for the biggest films of 2019...

Glass (January 18)
    M. Night Shyamalan's sequel to both Split and Unbreakable, a kind of horror/superhero/fantasy hybrid

Captain Marvel (March 8)
    new superhero film series featuring a rejuvenated Samuel L. Jackson (looking 30 years younger courtesy of major VFX)

Dumbo (March 29)
    director Tim Burton's live-action remake of the classic 1941 animated tale about a flying baby elephant

Pet Sematary (April 5)
    remake of the 1980s Stephen King film about a man who loses a young child and his wife but tries to bring them both back from the dead, with tragic (and frightening) results

Avengers 4: Endgame (May 3)
    sequel to the long-running Marvel superhero series, resolving several plotlines from the last 3 years

John Wick 3 (May 17)
    third film in the film series starring Keanu Reeves as an unstoppable assassin

Rocketman (May 17)
    Taron Egerton stars in the story of rock superstar Elton John in the 1970s

Aladdin (May 24)
    live-action remake of the 1992 Robin Williams animated Disney film of the legendary Arabian genii and the young man who finds the magic lamp (and romance), starring Will Smith

Godzilla, King of the Monsters (May 31)
    Millie Bobbie Brown from Stranger Things meets the biggest monster of them all as Warner Bros. attempts to combine King Kong, Godzilla, and Pacific Rim in a single film

Toy Story 4 (June 24)
    fourth installment in the blockbuster Pixar animated film series starring the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen

Spider-Man: Far from Home (July 5)
    second installment in the Sony/Marvel film series featuring Tom Holland as the younger teenage Peter Parker superpowered by a bite from a radioactive spider

The Lion King (July 19)
    live-action (photorealistic animated) remake to the early-1990s animated Disney film about a young lion whose destiny is to rule his kingdom

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)
    Quentin Tarantino's costly ($100 million) film about Hollywood in the fall of 1969, featuring a group of struggling actors amidst the Charlie Manson murders

It: Chapter 2 (September 6)
    sequel to the 2017 Stephen King about a group of children, now grown up, who are faced with having to combat a terrible demon living beneath their small-town streets

Downton Abbey (September 20)
    Movie version of the long-running British series about an upper-class family of the 1910s and 1920s and their servants living in a castle in Northern England

Zombieland 2 (October)
    Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, and Emma Stone return for this sequel to the 2009 black comedy about how to fight zombies in an apocalyptic world

Joker (October 4)
    Joaquin Phoenix plays the titular villain from the Batman films and comic books, telling his origin story

You Are My Friend (October 18)
    Tom Hanks portrays beloved children's TV host Mr. Rogers in a biographical film about his life and work

Untitled Terminator film (November 1)
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton return what's being described as a sequel to Terminator 2 (ignoring all the films that came afterwards)

Star Wars: Episode IX (December 20)
    Writer/director J.J. Abrams caps off the third trilogy of films that will reportedly end the "Skywalker Saga."

Full article here:
    30 Most Anticipated Movies of 2019 - Best Upcoming New Films This Year

And another 2019 blockbuster article from Den of Geek here:
    The Big Blockbusters of Summer 2019

2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I'd add Martin Scorsese's upcoming The Irishman to that list, surely that's a film worth getting excited about? I know I surely am...

3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Tarantino flicks almost always make dough.
    Leo, Pitt and Manson 69?
    Big Hit.

Fullbug and Black Magic Woman like this.
  4. I'll go for the early prediction that Dumbo flops!

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm thinking Dumbo (off-putting trailer) and Aladdin (No Robin Williams) will not do well. Maybe that will put an end to this live action Disney nonsense, but then again, I reckon Lion King will be huge.

Joker, Zombieland 2 and the Terminator movie are all serious crapshoots as well. There is so much genre stuff coming out these days, people are starting to pick and choose. It will just come down to whether they are any good.

I'm nervous about Star Wars - I liked Last Jedi and it's time to take a stand against fan expectation BS, but I'm not sure crowd-pleaser JJ is the guy to do it. We'll see.

Aquaman is off to a good start but I have a feeling Shazam will tank. Kids have no idea about that character and the old fashioned pulp stuff seldom does well at the box office.

Spiderman and Captain Marvel will do well, and Avengers will rule them all. Another big year for Marvel is in the offing.

There are a few dark horses like Battle Angel Alita that are floating around that I am curious about also.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm trying to not get excited about just in case I get over excited and it therefore, it can never live up to my expectations. :) Great cast though.

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The reaction was very strong for the Dumbo trailer in the theater I saw it in. I think it will hit.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Luke The Drifter

I did not realize the Terminator movie is this year. Can Cameron deliver? Maybe.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How involved is Cameron in the new Terminator film? I imagine "not very" is the answer since he's so preoccupied with the "Avatar" sequels...

10. Luke The Drifter

The only hope I hold out is the first two being highly regarded. Perhaps he wants to finish a trilogy of those films for legacy purposes. But you are probably right.;

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He produced (and not executive producer, producer) and co-wrote the story (but not the screenplay).

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If I was a betting man I would assume that his primary focus is wrapping the performance motion capture portion of Avatar II - III before they move production to New Zealand for the live action portion of those two films. Second priority is working with Robert Rodriguez in wrapping up Alita-Battle Angel out Feb 14. Terminator is probably a Saturday morning review of the weeks events with increasing involvement in the months to come. That's my guess.

13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

How about Rob Zombie's '3 From Hell'?

Fullbug and pblmow like this.
  14. Direct to Netflix?

GodShifter and Deuce66 like this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Glass, Endgame, Godzilla, It 2 & Ep IX movie are my favorites from that list. It's too bad the Joker movie has to be an origin story, kind of a drag IMO.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Some of these look worthy of seeing.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

G l a s s

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Tarantino flick is the only one I would think about seeing. Downtown Abbey should get a lot of play with adults.

19. Direct to Netflix is no longer a taboo bad thing anymore..... at least in some cases..... a week in a theater and then bam-on streaming.

Robert C and audiomixer like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Throwing a few wildcards into the mix for 2019.

Lego Movie 2 - Feb 8
    Alita - Battle Angel - Feb 14
    How to Train your Dragon III - Feb 22
    Hellboy - Apr 12
    Pokemon - May 10
    Ad Astra - May 24
    Hobbs and Shaw - Aug 2
    Kingsman III - Nov 8
    Frozen II - Nov 22
    Jumanji - Dec

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That's what my mom really wants to see.

alexpop likes this.
  22. I enjoyed Kingsman 1 for what it was but 2 was terrible. Hope they get back to basics and stop adding in too many celebrities .....

No Static likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bomb ?
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Don't think so!!!!

24. Hits and Bombs is the subject of this thread. And I agree, I don't see Once Upon A Time losing money.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

All I can say is "Thank god for streaming & pay television."
    :agree:

Fullbug and unclefred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.