Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, but that doesn't mean the filmmakers can't alter it to be more like "BR".

Not sure why SandAndGlass thinks the concert scenes won't be as good as those in "BR", though - maybe he wasn't Freddie, but Elton was no slouch on stage in his yoot!

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Do the producers of "Aquaman" and the "Wonder Woman" sequel realize this?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  3. Sure. Unlike the Queen film the Elton film is being marketed as somewhat of a fantasy, so even though many of his personal and career highlights are included, there will most likely be cinematic fantasy excursions.

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm sure that Elton is fine in concert, I have friends who have seen his concert's.

My comment was that Elton might be a bit more subdued than a stage full of rack musicians and a maniac crowd.

I would think the Queen movie might be just a tad bit more exciting to watch, for the general public. than one dude laying a piano.

Maybe the "Crocodile Rock" will really get 'em moving though?

Me, my preferences would be an intelligently made movie about Elton John, his life and career.

I don't know that I ever had any particular interest in Queen.

5. SandAndGlass

That's odd? I would never thought a movie based on Elton John as being a "cinematic fantasy excursion"?

Not sure what that would mean? How?

6. Oatsdad

The trailer I've seen is weird. Most of it comes across as typical biopic drama, but then at the end, we see Elton "float" as he plays piano and get the tagline about fantasy.

I suspect it'll play as a pretty straight biopic and the "fantasy" thing is just an advertising gimmick, but we'll see! :)

SandAndGlass, Vidiot and Mazzy like this.
  7. We shall see. Maybe just a visual thing like in the preview where the audience levitates ???

8. Oatsdad

Elton was very exciting as a performer back in the day. Again, he's no Freddie, but "one dude playing piano" belies the theatrics and intensity that could still result.

Lots of piano players have put on lively, exciting concerts: Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Billy Joel, etc.

Elton also has a much larger catalog of hits than Queen - especially here in the US...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Netflix! So technically not made for theatrical, depending on what that means anymore.

I agree with both. I would be stunned if Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tanked.

I'll be surprised if it's a straight biopic. :sigh:

I'm not impressed that they're using somebody else's singing voice for Elton in the film...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  10. Well it will have a theatrical run just like Rona is having now. I saw Roma this past weekend in the best and biggest theater is Seattle and it was almost a sell out even though it debuted Friday on Netflix.

dprokopy and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I get where you are coming from, but there are only so much that you can do theatrically while playing a piano, which involves at least one hand on the keyboard.

I think that Queen would be just a bit more theatrical, performing on stage. I think they would have more rowdy screaming fans.

Queen are more like Alice Cooper or Kiss. Their show is about their theatrics on stage.

Even most regular rock concerts i have been to, in the past, the performer's just stood on stage, singing and playing their instruments.

That is fine for people who came to "listen" to a rock concert, but not much exciting for a movie.

There are not a lot of movies of rock concerts, Woodstock, Monterrey Pop and ???

Even those involved multiple performer's and showed other events in connection to the concert.

I just can't quite get to the "theatrics and intensity" part of one dude playing a piano on stage.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe after the fashion of “Velvet Goldmine”. That movie is so weird but I love it

Mazzy likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

Never heard of it.

14. Oatsdad

Do you mean someone other than Elton or someone other than Egerton?

Do we know who does the singing?

I'm more distracted by the fact Egerton's speaking voice in the trailer sounds zero like Elton - the vocals in the ad at least resemble Elton's, but the speaking voice isn't even close...

15. Oatsdad

If you never saw Elton, you're not really in a position to judge.

But you don't have to prance around the stage to be "theatrical and intense".

Elton put on a show!

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's probably a love it or hate it affair. Christian Bale and Ewan McGreggor are it It's a gay, glam-rock/Bowie fantasy set in England. Uneven, but some dazzling rock numbers -- especially Ewan McGreggor! Ha!

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Velvet Goldmine is great.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It’s Egerton doing the singing. Which will probably help his performance as he can do scenes that require live singing (live as in on set) but means the movie won’t have much of Elton’s actual voice in it. And Taron doesn’t sound all that similar, though he is a capable singer (he was one of the performers in Sing!).

Bohemian Rhapsody needed to have Freddie’s real voice in it but it may be less important for Rocketman. Elton was a good singer but I wouldn’t say he had a huge, one of a kind voice like Freddie.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  19. Squealy

No from what I hear the movie has a fantastical (or maybe more accurately, magic realist) aspect ... it’s part biopic, part musical. I’ve seen “Across the Universe” as a comparison.

20. Oatsdad

Based on the short snippet in the trailer, I think Egerton does a credible singing imitation of Elton. I wouldn't confuse him for Elton if I heard him independently, but it's close enough for the movie - and better than forcing him to lip-synch to someone else's vocals.

Like I said, I'm more distracted by the speaking voice - that's the part that doesn't sound like Elton!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Squealy

As if the two films weren’t comparable enough, Rocketman was directed by Dexter Fletcher, who stepped in to finish Bohemian Rhapsody after Bryan Singer was fired. (He also directed Egerton in Eddie the Eagle.)

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

That is a very interesting comparison.

23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

My guess is if John Wick 3 sticks with the same strategy as the last 2 films it will be a hit. I guess the task will be to keep the budget similar to the last one and hope it takes in near $200 M.

John Wick 2
    Budget $40 million
    Box office $171.5 million

That's a pretty good return on $40M

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  24. I'm really looking forward to the Quentin Tarantino-directed Downton Abbey. :D

Simon A likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.