Ikea Chopping Board for Turntable Isolation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJtheAudiophile, Oct 24, 2018.

1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Dude, that's the tits!
    -Bill

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You could just end most threads here this way. :winkgrin:
    -Bill

3. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

All jokes aside I tried all the mismatched wood board thingies YEARS ago.
    Styrofoam sandwiched between dissimilar woods.
    Rubber stuff too.
    Nothing dramatically lowered the footfalls and feedback until I used falsies.
    Falsies completely and emphatically removed any transmission of sound and all that resonates at this point is the rather inert material that makes up my turntable.
    I plan on wrapping my tone arm in heat shrink because Michael Fremer did a comparison between a stock SL1200G and his Caliburn suprafragelistic table that costs $65,000 and all I heard different was the wrapped arm on his expensive table was a tiny bit quieter.
    Visitors haven't noticed what my turntable rests upon as the falsies are pretty hidden underneath stuff.
    If somebody made less feminine "HiFi Only" models for the same price I would buy those instead.
    Meanwhile I place my feet right on the curviest sections and my stereo really likes that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Next stop, visit the thread where audiophiles are discussing the nuances of cup size in regards to their vintage tables. Firmness, suspension, coupling, I can hardly wait. ;)
    -Bill

Kyhl and bever70 like this.
  5. Doctor Fine

Oh stop.
    On the other hand I CAN see that happening so you are right.

KT88 likes this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

7. Doctor Fine

Looked at the design and it is a foam piece under a platform.
    Might work to dampen minor vibration but I can tell by looking at the design it won't work for serious vibration removal.
    Guys.
    Try my idea of using some falsies sandwiched between a board and under your feet.
    I was able to level the table and hear no bad effects on the bass.
    Most of these "foam and board" ideas are only going to take you so far.
    For real isolation you need something real gushie to decouple your table.
    OK that's it for me.
    I don't want to keep stating my experience and become a pest.
    Problem with my own sets is that I simply couldn't have even HAD vinyl so close to my subwoofers if I hadn't eliminated the transmission of bass notes completely.
    Maybe a board and some feet is all you guys need but not me.

808_state likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

For what turntable? What type of stand is it on?
    -Bill

9. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I have the auralex- by itself it does help a bit but it's not going to eliminate everything, especially large impacts. I added some sorbothane in-between the auralex and my tt's feet, and that works well enough for my setup on carpet.

10. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

A Pro-Ject Xpression III on an old telephone table.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If the table is solid, build a sand box.

[​IMG]

-Bill

13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Depends upon the weight of the table. Low-mass tables sound best with an A or B cup. Something more massive like a Nottingham will benefit from a D cup. Truly massive tables require G cup, which is a special order. I've had good luck sourcing them from plastic surgeons in Miami and Phoenix.

Doctor Fine likes this.
  14. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Oh yeah, can't wait to get my hands on a pair...Janka!:goodie::goodie:

Doctor Fine likes this.
  15. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

16. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident

Many of the pre-exisiting isolation solutions available have the weight ratio to deformation sort of engineered into the product or have guidelines (or at least the good ones do). If a component that's too light or too heavy on said isolation device, it won't produce the isolation needed. Sounds like you found something that just so happened to work in your setup which is great. It may help if you provide some addtl details on what/where you actually purchased?

17. Doctor Fine

Bikini Gel Inserts Amazon.

Kyhl and 808_state like this.
  18. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident

Ahh ok, now it makes sense :)

bever70 likes this.
  19. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

The gel mousepad/wrist support things look interesting as well. Seems like it's the same material without the shopping cart embarrassment :D

20. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Does anybody use bamboo boards under their speakers? We order house stuff from this place called Grove and they sent along one of these as a promotion. I'm thinking about ordering another one and putting them under my Pioneer Andrew Jones towers.

Grove Collaborative

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I bought these to put under my bamboo butcher block under the turntable. It seems really shaky and unstable. Am I missing something? Would sorbothane feet be better? I know I’m not going to get perfect isolation and coupling with this setup on an uneven wood floor.

22. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Has this been posted before? I used what he suggested, works fine. (From 1:25 on ...)

Xander2017 and 33na3rd like this.
  23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I think I’ll just go that route

24. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

What you've got there is a DIY roller block, you use three arrange as a equilateral triangle, you should then get a smooth movement in both horizontal planes, there should be no movement in the vertical plane.

25. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

If you've got a uneven floor (not totally sure what that means), the floor should be the first thing to address. Loose floor board, which produce footfall problem are substantively different than the vibration referred to in the Youtube clip.

808_state likes this.