Highest Charting Christmas Songs on Billboard 100

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mmars982, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw this article, which included a list of the highest charting Christmas songs on the Billboard 100. It is an oddly varied list. Some songs (like Carey's) I am surprised hadn't charted this high before, and others I am surprised charted at all.

Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' Is Highest-Charting Billboard Hot 100 Holiday Hit in 60 Years

Here is the list:

Highest-Charting Holiday Songs in the Hot 100's History
    No. 1 peak, four weeks, beginning Dec. 22, 1958, "The Chipmunk Song," by David Seville & The Chipmunks
    No. 6, Dec. 22, 2018, "All I Want for Christmas Is You," Mariah Carey
    No. 7, Jan. 8, 2000, "Auld Lang Syne," Kenny G
    No. 7, Jan. 6, 1990, "This One's for the Children," New Kids on the Block
    No. 9, Feb. 21, 1981, "Same Old Lang Syne," Dan Fogelberg
    No. 11, Nov. 5, 2011, "Mistletoe," Justin Bieber
    No. 12, Jan. 6, 1962, "White Christmas," Bing Crosby
    No. 13, Dec. 22, 2018, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," Andy Williams
    No. 13, Dec. 21, 2013, "Little Drummer Boy," Pentatonix
    No. 13, Jan. 19, 1985, "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Band-Aid
    No. 13, Jan. 12, 1959, "The Little Drummer Boy," Harry Simeone Chorale
    No. 14, Dec. 26, 1960, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," Brenda Lee
    No. 15, Dec. 22, 2018, "Jingle Bell Rock," Bobby Helms
    No. 15, Jan. 11, 1964, "Pretty Paper," Roy Orbison
    No. 16, Jan. 31, 1970, "Winter World of Love," Engelbert Humperdinck
    No. 18, Jan. 1, 2000, "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)," Christina Aguilera
    No. 18, Jan. 6, 1979, "Please Come Home for Christmas," Eagles

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I’m slightly surprised that “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley isn’t on this list.

PhantomStranger and mmars982 like this.
  3. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

The methodology of the Hot 100 is so different now that steaming and downloads are placing 50 year Christmas songs in the Top 20.

4. mmars982

RSteven likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

According to Wiki, the Carey song wasn't released as a commercial single, so it couldn't chart on the Hot 100 due to then-existing rules...

mmars982 likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Getting a little tired of the same old recycled Christmas mix our local radio station plays every year, I'm spinning some Christmas albums. So much great stuff the radio never plays.
    Last year, Pentatonix's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" became part of the radio's Christmas playlist. A string of cryptic Biblical references equating sex with spirituality does not make it a Christmas song by any stretch of the imagination.

MikeVielhaber, Zeki and mmars982 like this.
  8. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I don't understand why the New Kids On The Block song is considered a Christmas/Holiday song. There's no mention of the holiday at all in the song. I know it appears on their Christmas album, but the lyrics of the song could apply anytime of the year.

Our music system at work plays the Annie Lennox/Al Green remake of "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" every Christmas season, and it's the same situation with that song - no mention of the holiday at all. I guess it's inclusion in the Christmas movie "Scrooged" was enough for some people to consider it a holiday song.

Zeki likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't know the song, but it wouldn't be the only "Christmas song" with no lyrical connection to the holiday.

I mean, WTF does "My Favorite Things" have to do with Xmas? Because it mentions "sleigh bells" in one line?

10. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

I would love to see it number one, too! The movement to have it banned completely backfired!

11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Backfired? All of that free press? I was hoping for a Cosby impersonator doing a version. Hey,hey,hey... To paraphrase the famous Coke slogan:Bad taste knows no season.

12. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Also brown paper packages tied up with string,which at least recycle way better than that glossy crap that lives in the landfills. Lots of stories about the Supremes's Christmas LP, using the song as the film version was the hottest movie at the time.

lightbulb likes this.
  13. RSteven and mmars982 like this.
  14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

A future classic...."Underneath The Tree" by Kelly Clarkson....peaked at #78 on the Billboard 100 Singles Chart, but reached #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart.

RSteven, mmars982 and WolfSpear like this.
  15. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

It’s good to see Brenda Lee, Nat King Cole and even Gene Autry continuing to dominate the charts. Streaming and downloads have actually changed the field quite a bit. Dean Martin will come back thanks to sales... thanks to modern times...

Holiday music is the time where all the genres come together and we can appreciate the music for what it is. Exciting, uplifting, and happy.

RSteven likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It was not released as a single until seven years after it had first come out on Elvis' Christmas Album.

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Interesting...
    Yet, it still did not chart.

So, I assume “Blue Christmas” later became a holiday staple, many years afterwards...?

18. When Christmas rolls around each year, it's still musically 1959.:righton:

RSteven likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Note that Billboard didn't allow Christmas songs in the Hot 100 for a few years. That's why "Snoopy's Christmas' isn't on the list, though it made No. 1 on many stations.

mmars982 likes this.
  20. mmars982

21. mmars982

RSteven likes this.
  22. mmars982

RSteven and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. mmars982 and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.