Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mike can't play an instrument onstage because it would restrict his ability to point at audience members and give them a thumbs up. I've been on the receiving end of one, and let me tell you, cloud nine, baby.

I'm sure we can list lots of other front men who didn't play an instrument onstage. More than enough people already playing behind Mike. I think I saw him play the bass once for about 5 seconds.

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Yeah, criticising Mike for not playing an instrument onstage is kind of a dead end.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Thanks for all the percussive personnel, Craig!

4. John DeAngelis

5. Daniel Plainview

MRamble and PhoffiFozz like this.
  6. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

According to this 1964 interview, Mike was asked if he played an instrument... He does.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

8. John DeAngelis

Got it! Thanks for the reply.

9. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

"Is this a guitar?"

10. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Isn't "All Dressed Up For School" actually really a Today! outtake?

11. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Crazy enough, there is actually another version by Mike Love that is very similar to the Unleash The Love version. And it's on a CD set called Beach Music Classics from a few years ago. Also has a new Mike Love recording of "Surfin' USA."

And then live versions, which I don't think you are taking into account.

Also, the Mike Love tour CD version you speak of, you mean the one that's on that Summertime Cruisin' CD?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  12. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yes :edthumbs:

I have a dubious quality version found on the internet from years ago and was surprised that the set did not have a clean version of the "Pedal Steel" We're Together Again.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Are the 68 live cuts available on youtube?

14. Daniel Plainview

15. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I found this version on youtube where someone had synced up the country version of We're together again with the vocals, it's from a few years ago so you could probably do a cleaner version now but there's no problem with the key or tempo

16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I am listening to the live sets, one per day. Really loving how, it doesn't matter about the rest of the show, but every night around the same time, all the clowning stops and Carl just knocks it out the park on "God Only Knows" -- every single time.

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Is there a circulating version of the whole thing with the bits that were cut and compiled for the LP? That’s something I am yet to hear.

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Six Bachelors likes this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

One thing that still surprises me as it did during last year's 1967 live set is that the band is really committed to performing a whole wide array of their songs on stage. They're a small group yet they're able to make the songs work for what they've got on stage. Admittedly the songs do sound smaller because of the lack of number of voices on stage but it works and allows the band to reclaim music as their own since most of the time the songs that they're performing were recorded by The Wrecking Crew and other top LA musicians.

I'm on the third show in the set right now and it's a fun interesting little trip...

D.B., supermd and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

I’ve never heard a bad version of God Only Knows...Carl always nailed that one onstage.

22. Rick Bartlett

Here's a pretty bad one.... by Carl.... :sigh:

Yorick and I333I like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Carl's day after response:

24. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

25. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Was hoping someone would tackle this - great job! Same for “Passing By”, really appreciate your work on these.

Would love if someone would recreate the version of “Been Way Too Long” from the first SMiLE boots; also hoping to hear some other fan-mixes utilizing the various sections that have been released over the past couple of years. That song could be 20 minutes long and I still wouldn’t tire of it.

While I greatly enjoy 20/20 as-is (though due to hearing the SMiLE material first, have never considered “Our Prayer” or “Cabinessence” as part of the album, they’ve always felt tacked on and out of place to me, as much as I love the songs), a version with more then-contemporary Brian is really interesting to me. “Old Man River”, “Walk on By”, “Been Way Too Long”, “Sail Plane Song”, and “We’re Together Again” are all worthy additions (“Walkin’” is okay, but rightfully an outtake in my opinion), along with “Break Away”. I’m definitely going to have to fiddle with revamping this one...

And you could just about compile a ‘68 Dennis solo record at this point! Might have to make a playlist of that as well.