Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think studios tended to avoid January in the past because the big December releases still dominate. They plow out a bunch of big ticket films in December that remain on screens in January, so that leaves little room for new releases.

January also often has Oscar-hopeful movies "go wide". They'll get a token exhibition in December to qualify for the Oscars but won't see most screens until January.

The "January rule" remains largely in effect for the 1st half of the month, I think, mainly because of the factor I mentioned. The first half of January remains a dumping ground for crap.

But the second half is more open to new releases. 1/2017's "Split" was a pretty big hit so they're using that same release frame for next month's sequel...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

it will make money from foreign distribution most likely. Landau ain't famous for making the best decisions

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

How so? The guy seems pretty smart to me.

It will have a ready made audience in Asia but I think that it will make money in the states and Europe too.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And here's a good piece on some films considered by Daily Variety to have potential for success in 2019:

The Most Anticipated Movies of 2019

“Glass” (Jan. 18)
    “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part” (Feb. 8)
    “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World“ (Feb. 22)
    “Captain Marvel” (March 8)
    “Us” (March 15)
    “Dumbo” (March 29)
    “Pet Sematary” (April 5)
    “Shazam!” (April 5)
    “Hellboy” (April 12)
    “Avengers: Endgame” (April 26)
    “Pokemon Detective Pikachu” (May 10)
    “Aladdin” (May 24)
    “Godzilla: King of The Monsters” (May 31)
    “Rocketman” (May 31)
    “Dark Phoenix” (June 7)
    “Men In Black International” (June 14)
    “Toy Story 4” (June 21)
    “Spider-Man: Far From Home” (July 5)
    “The Lion King” (July 19)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (July 26)
    “IT: Chapter 2” (Sept. 6)
    “Joker” (Oct. 4)
    “You Are My Friend” (Oct. 18)
    “Frozen 2” (Nov. 22)
    “Star Wars: Episode IX” (Dec. 20)

6. SandAndGlass

Even though it is a more comprehensive list, I feel that the movies the our members have favored already, are to be most likely the more successful movies this year.

7. Vidiot

[​IMG]

8. SandAndGlass

Kind of like "Alice", from the Twilight saga, she have visions of the future, but the future is always subject to change.

9. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

MIB and Star Wars will do well.

BGLeduc likes this.
  10. One or two original films on that list?

11. Vidiot

Lotttttta sequels, prequels, remakes, movie versions of a video game (or a live action version of a cartoon), or movie versions of comic books. The Mr. Rogers and Elton John movies are new, and the Tarantino film is new. Glass is technical a sequel to two films, but it's interesting enough I'll go out of my way to see it.

I'm not so sure about Men in Black. The third film was not nearly the hit Sony was hoping for.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

I stand corrected.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I've been avoiding the Internet for a few days because of work.

Has MIB International been getting the same initial response as Lady Ghostbusters?

14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I think Rocketman has less wide appeal than bohemian rhapsody. just using myself as an example I am not a true fan of either but I definitely had more interest in bohemian rhapsody than rocketman. and maybe this would have been fine but following bohemian rhapsodies big success I bet they aim for a similar response and put more into advertising what in my mind is a less widely appealing movie.

will be interesting to see.

I also think dumbo is a hit while aladin not. cute elephants yes creepy genies nah.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Vidiot

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looper's predictions for failure in 2019.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I expect big things from Us, Jordan Peele's follow-up to Get Out. Lotta buzz around the recently-released trailer.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why would a Freddie Mercury movie have less "wide appeal" than an Elton John movie?

19. Vidiot

And in the "probable hit" category, Kevin Feige, the head of Marvel Studios talks about the potential to add more characters to their roster when the Fox deal is done in the next few months...

Marvel Studios boss says that the X-Men and other Fox characters could be approved for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the next 6 months

He doesn't specifically mention it, but it's assumed that some of the cancelled Marvel TV shows, like Agent Carter, Luke Cage, Daredevil, and several others may go back into production and get released by the end of the year on the new Disney+ streaming service.

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Looks like 'Friends with Benefits' to me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yes I predict that US will be one of the Most Successful Box Office Ticket Sales of 2019. Also, IT: Chapter 2 will do really well, as the First Movie(Kids Chapter) was pretty good and has left us waiting for the Conclusion-IMO.

22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I for one would love to see Agent Carter come back. I really thought the two seasons were terrific, and Hayley Atwell was great in it. Plus you had Stark (Sr.) in it, and they did a great job
    recreating the forties. And when they did this musical "fantasy" in season two, I was blown away.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Stormrider77, misterbozz and Vidiot like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's a very recent interview with Jon where he discusses the making of Alita and also spills news on upcoming Cameron projects post Avatar/Alita towards the end.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Agree about Agent Carter but they need much better writing. Atwell held it all together but bad plots on TV.

It’s a great character and deserves better.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Since H-wood seems interested in multi-narrative 'universes' with overlapping stories and characters, can't wait until they discover the denizens of Pixley and Hooterville. Just to see Possum Fest in 3-D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.