The Mule - Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spanky1, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I rarely go to movies(maybe 1 per year), but the trailer for this one looked promising. Went to see it tonight, and it was very good. Bradley Cooper, Dianne Wiest, and Andy Garcia were in it as well. Hard to believe he is approaching 90 years old(88).

Loved the soundtrack which ran the spectrum from jazz, country, and Dean Martin. Loved the instrumental version of MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY. There was a song playing through the closing credits, and SOUND HOUND wasn't able to tell me who it was. Can anyone help out with this?

I didn't see another thread about this movie, so if I overlooked it, I'm sorry.

enro99 likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just read the synopsis. I'd give it a try.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wait for DVD for this one. Saying that if I'm near a cinema have time maybe go and see the film.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

5. alexpop

Robert Redford's Old Man With A Gun, got a classy poster.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Clint Eastwood fan but more of a Unforgiven - Pale Rider type - will keep an eye on it

7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Great that he still enjoys working and has made it this far. What a fantastic life in movies he has had.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Not to go off OT but since Clint still seems interested in directing if not acting, I'd like to know what happened to the Man with No Name when he hit 90. I'm guessing the year would be about 1920. That could be a deeply interesting movie. Or a Harry Callahan whose been retired for 20 years. What would he make of San Francisco now?

daglesj, RickH, enro99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Originally, Gran Torino was intended to be about a retired Dirty Harry.

I always thought of Will Munny in Unforgiven as what would have happened if the Man With No Name got married and settled down (for a while anyway). I don't think I've ever heard that was the intention, but I like to think of it like that.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. alexpop

Always thought if HBO were doing a mini series of Shenandoah ..Clint could have played the James Stewart part maybe Clint's too old for that part now.

melstapler likes this.
  11. alexpop

Crime doesn't pay.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

saw it last night and thought it was quite good.

it is funny that this and the old man with a gun came out so close to eachother, the old man as criminal genre is exploding!

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Looks terrible. Will not see.

14. alexpop

Did you see 15:17?

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What is that?

16. alexpop

The 15:17 to Paris ( Clint directed, true story ).

17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Clint Eastwood was great, and I am not really a big Eastwood fan (although I loved Gran Torino). Every other actor in this movie had such a supporting role. I felt like none of the other characters were very fleshed out.

Great story though.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Great story, acting was rough but ok.

19. alexpop

Kinda underrated I thought

20. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Cant wait to see it, love Clint .. hard to make it to theaters now, so will have to wait a few weeks
    till it's on pay per view cable .. trailer looks good.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, good to hear other views.

Reviewer here said it was repulsively racist and absolutely the worst film Eastwood ever made--undeveloped plot, lazy direction, you name it.

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

There were more racist remarks said about Asians by his character in Gran Torino.

I liked the story (similar socioeconomic POV to Breaking Bad). It made me want to read the true story it's based on which is mentioned at the end. It has the same pacing and down to Earth style story telling and relationship building among folks culturally different as in Gran Torino.

It almost feels like the same style of movie as Redford's "Old Man And A Gun". It's very contemplatively slow paced and layed back in how it unfolds.

The Panda likes this.
  23. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. I don't know how to respond in a way that wouldn't lead this thread off the rails, so I'll refrain from expressing my initial views when I read this.

I can, however, say that I don't understand how we want movies and tv shows to be a realistic view of our lives, but we get offended when we are shown a glimpse. It's a shame that we can't listen to music or watch a movie without being offended. :shrug:

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Man, no kidding!

25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I thought it was good. Not great. An odd choice for what will probably be his last starting role. But he is good and very believable in the character.

brownie61 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.