Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I had actually been eyeing up those "Warehouse Deals" boxes before they disappeared into the ether and cursed my luck for hesitating. Even if the books are incomprehensible to me, this is an amazing price for a deep dive into Mozart's music.

Now, fingers crossed I get some kind of time frame for delivery. Still entirely possible they'll cancel the order and that'll be all she wrote, but it was too good a possibility to pass up.

Jimijam likes this.
  2. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I dont believe that is the case. The French copy I just received/returned from Amazon Warehouse US had the CDs and the accompanying track listing books in English....its just the hardcover books that are in the localized language. Several reviews I read also indicated the only difference between the different language versions was the hardcover books.

3. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Amazon UK may be selling vaporware with this Mozart 225: Complete Edition/Various offering. Delivery estimates have changed from 1 to 3 months to "Temporarily out of stock." However, the price has dropped precipitously to £60.29. Doing the math, that's £53.32, or USD $67.32 for 200 discs of Mozart delivered to the U.S. I think this offer is going the way of the Haydn 107 collection, which was listed at a fantastic price, but after months and months was canceled as "unobtanium."

Robur and Andy Dursin like this.
  4. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

That is crazy. Surely all these orders will be cancelled.

5. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Agreed, it wouldnt be the first time. I had ordered the Brendel box from Amazon UK last summer when it suddenly became "available" from them. After several weeks of the price falling slightly and the "ships in 1 to 3 months" designation it was canceled outright as being unavailable.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It would not be the first time. I posted a deal for Jimi Hendrix's West Coast Seattle Boy set in the Amazon UK deals thread many months ago. A bunch of Forum members ordered, and months later the orders were eventually cancelled -- some did get a voucher out of the process for the delay, so it may still be worth taking a chance on ordering, especially at this crazy price!

7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I just placed an order for the Mozart. If it gets cancelled then it gets cancelled. I'm out nothing and if it doesn't then it's a great deal. So I have nothing to lose.

Runicen likes this.
  8. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

yep completely agree, nothing to lose at this point

9. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I've been waiting several weeks for this. Keeping my fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

10. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No idea!

12. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

There are many out there, though not many of the 'free' variety - if you buy from HDTracks, those usually come with liner notes. A number of the mega boxes came with CD-ROMs or download links for libretti. I believe Hyperion makes their liner note pdfs available for public download, and I seem to recall the Gardiner SDG recordings (e.g., Cantatas) were freely available at one point.

13. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

I've just ordered it for £60 - but I'll believe it when I see it!!

Phillip Walch likes this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

All those of you who rushed to buy the Mozart 225 at 60.29 should have waited, it is now down to 60.15! :D

crispi, Lije Baley, Jimijam and 2 others like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Though I really do not need the Bach 333 box, I would probably have to buy it if it ever got to that price just for the booklets! I'm currently reading Bach Music in the Castle of Heaven by Gardiner (spend a bit more and get the hardcover it's beautiful) and it is a very good read, one of the better classical books. I believe he contributed to the text in the Bach 333 box.

crispi likes this.
  16. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

Can anyone figure out the point to all of this?

17. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Employees at Amazon UK have a pool going to guess the number of posts they can generate in various internet bargain threads?

Or, Amazon UK was trying to induce those of us who received delivery dates for the boxes purchased at £93 to cancel their orders and re-buy the never-to-be-shipped boxes at £60 (successful in my case).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Runicen, Jimijam and djbarry like this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There's a long history of hatred between the Brits and the French and this will no doubt have the gilets jaunes once again taking to the streets in protest! :winkgrin:

djbarry likes this.
  19. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. cws

cws Forum Resident

[​IMG] DG readies itself in gilet jaune for inevitable box-set riots.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Jimijam, djbarry and Dave Garrett like this.
  21. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

PDFs of the English books are "out there" IfYouKnowWhatIMeanAndIThinkYouDo.

22. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

Happy Christmas to my fellow Classical Box Set enthusiasts! I hope Santa has brought you some fine 'building bricks' for your CD libraries!

[​IMG]

23. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I've been listening to the Wagner Complete Operas set this weekend, which I've had for some time but haven't really played a great deal. Have got through Tristan and Rienzi over the last couple of days. Not sure why, but Tristan always seems one of the more accessible mature Wagner operas to me. Not sure everyone agrees with that, I might add!

[​IMG]

24. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Well I took the bait on the Mozart 225 Box so shall see what we shall see :)

Phillip Walch, Runicen and cws like this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

We're all in this together. Crossing fingers they actually manage to fulfill these orders because that would be a solid belated Christmas gift. :D

Jimijam likes this.