Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Interesting. I have never actually made it to that store. I will have to go the next time I am visiting there.

2. LordThanos1969

At Josey, I spend most of my time looking at the new arrivals and the collectible records sections. It seems like their regular record bins are filled with mostly lower grade material and are only worth a cursory look.

3. LordThanos1969

I feel lucky to purchase one or two records at Forever Young anytime I visit there. It is usually for something I have been searching for a long time and don't object to paying a high price.

4. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Just a heads up. Doc’s Records last day at their Camp Bowie location was today. They will be moving to a location much closer to Downtown Fort Worth (not far from 7th Street.) Not sure of when they will open in the new space.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

They are apparently written about in the new goldmine magazine

6. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Ok, it's been about a year since this thread had any activity, and I should be in the Dallas area this week-- far north Dallas/Richardson area. Google Maps says Josey's would be about 15 minutes south of my son's apartment on Arapaho, Good Records and Spinster are both 25 minutes or so. I'd rather not have to go south of Richardson--I'd like his place to be the terminus destination before I head back home to Arkansas.

I could take a stack of vinyl with me to sell/trade; I think I'll have time, and even if I don't, the discs won't melt in the vehicle.

Any changes in the landscape--stores that have closed, opened, moved, etc?

JcS

7. Claxton

Most definitely! We're a pretty booming little record metropolis now, but you'd definitely have to go south of Richardson.

I can't speak for Dallas proper, but we've got some great places over here in Fort Worth. There's still Forever Young (in Arlington), Doc's Records here in Fort Worth has moved closer to downtown in a much bigger space, Record Town has new digs, and we also have a few new places as well: Panther City Vinyl, Chief Records, Dreamy Life Records, Vintage Freak, and Born Late Records and Tattoos.

But for what you're looking for, I'd think Josey would cover all of your bases. Just remember to plan a day or two and come visit us in Fort Worth next time! We got so much more than Dallas has to offer!

Joey Self likes this.
  8. Joey Self

Wish I had more time; my son has moved from his apartment in North Dallas, and I have to run down there to get the rest of his stuff. No telling when I'll be back in the area--Fort Worth sounds like it might be a place to move a stack of vinyl that I'm never going to play again.

JcS

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Probably should check out CD Universe on Trinity Mills in North Dallas west of the Tollway. One man shop usually opens around 11. Not real familiar with the vinyl there (I just do CDs), but he does have some.

Joey Self likes this.
  10. Joey Self

My trip has been delayed until next week.

JcS

11. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

If you are limited by distance, Spinster isn't worth it, IMO. Josey new arrivals, collectables, and clearance are usually interesting. Doc's in FW is good all-around but is probably a 1 hr drive. Those are the best large stores, but there are many smaller ones already mentioned above.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

When I was a young punk circa 1987 we used to make a weekly trip to Bill's. All the stories are true (about the boxes and pricing at least).

We would complain about it all the time but still went to buy.

Joey Self likes this.
  13. Joey Self

Is Bill's still open? And if so, have the laws about smoking indoors affected him?

JcS

14. Joey Self

Looking at the websites, I think both Spinster and Josey's have stores in Tulsa--which is about two hours away, and a place I have gone many times for the day.

I'm not sure what time I'll get to the Dallas area, but I'll pretty much have to go shopping that day. The next, I'm loading up a bed and some other furniture and coming back home. I would love to be able to go to Arlington and FW, but it's just not feasible this trip.

Of course, now that my son is no longer living there, I won't be going there once a month, but on the other hand, I could take a trip just for me sometime. He and the wife aren't really into going to the record stores, although in the past few years, my wife has actually bought more CDs than I have. She bought a CD player for the kitchen. She then took an interest in the Christian Rock genre, and picked up a lot of MercyMe, Tenth Avenue North, Danny Gokey, Crowder and acts like that.

JcS

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I believe still open. I haven't been there in 30 years.

16. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

jamesc and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Not in Richardson, though, he moved downtown Dallas quite some time ago. I went there some time ago and was perplexed by what was there (almost no CDs from groups I'd even heard of) and heard he was mostly selling stuff off online. But, I think he probably was catering to some market I just didn't understand.

melstapler and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Fort Worth definitely has more stores it’s quite a hike for me to get there so I’ve got to concede to going to the zoo too so it’s worth it for us to go so far but docs is such a great shop and I really want to check out panther city

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  19. Joey Self

And after all that...

I wound up running down there Friday night after work, packing up my son's stuff around 10:00, and heading back with only a quick stop at a Half-Priced Books in McKinney on the way out of town.

I have tired of the drive over the past three years, but I can see myself going back just to goof around sometime. Maybe tie it with a concert or something.

JcS

20. LordThanos1969

I used to like CD Universe, but the last few times I went there, it seems like the owner is using eBay as a price guide for collectible CDs. The vinyl is awful there, so skip it and go to Joseys instead for records.

21. Joey Self

I can't fault a guy for getting the best price for his wares. I like the idea of the collectibles being available for the in-store customers for awhile before it goes up on eBay.

JcS

22. LordThanos1969

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but almost all the Targets and other early pressing CDs I saw in the bins the last few times I went there were in low grade to poor condition and priced higher than the typical eBay price. I'd rather spend the time shopping on eBay than making the trip to that store :laugh:.

Joey Self likes this.
  23. Claxton

McCartney will be here in June!

Joey Self likes this.
  24. Joey Self

I would love to see McCartney again--saw him in '93 in Kansas City--but I wouldn't want to see him surrounded with folks that think I am there to here THEM sing.

JcS

25. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

McCartney’s date in Arlington, Texas, is scheduled for June 14 in the outdoor baseball park. On June 14, 2018, the temperature here hit 98°. Surprising choice of venue.

jamesc likes this.