'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics Thread Starter

I thought it might be better to open a dedicated thread for this new series headed by Don Was and Joe Harley, starting in February 2019 with worldwide distribution by Universal.

The first titles will be Wayne Shorter's "Etcetera" and Chick Corea's "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs".
    Another title mentioned by Joe Harley is "Contours" by the great Sam Rivers.

So far we know that not only titles from the Blue Note catalogue will be reissued (and of those only ones that haven't been done Music Matters, Analogue Productions and Classic Records already), but also from Pacific Jazz and Solid State. I am still not sure if United Artists will be part of this reissue program, since I didn't see Joe mention it anywhere on the MM thread. Would be great though.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this and hope one or two titles I really need will be included.

AVphile, Sean, whohadd and 21 others like this.
  2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Thanks for starting this. I was confused and thought the new Music Matters WERE the Tone Poet series...:doh:

joshm2286 and rxcory like this.
  3. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Excuse my ignorance but are these reissues on vinyl & CD?

One album I'd love to see reissued is Elvin Jones' Time Capsule.

4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Vinyl. 33 1/3. Cut directly from the tapes by Kevin Gray with Joe Harley. Pressed at RTI. Tip-on jackets from Stoughton Printing, with gatefolds with photos where available.

Joe also mentioned that Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor, Vol. 2 will be one of the titles.

5. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I’m in I reckon. I haven’t bought from MM for a few years as exchange rates killed it for those of us outside domestic. But with international distribution these could be a different proposition........it will be interesting to see what the more contemporary BN titles will be.

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Which vinyl formulation are these to be made from? Clarity and SRX seems to be the latest trend. Would be nice to know who is going to press these also.

joshm2286 likes this.
  7. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Definitely in on these. Glad to see they are picking up some later titles.

Sean, joshm2286 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I believe just normal vinyl for the tone poet series. The cost of something like SRX would be prohibitive from a corporate standpoint.

9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm in for these, and probably not in for the MM SRX reissues (except maybe for the two new titles).

10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics Thread Starter

I just finished listening to Kenny Dorham's "Inta Somethin' (Pacific, japanese King reissue): this record really deserves to be reissued with the best possible mastering and packaging. Also: Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade. As far as I can see, none of the audiophile labels (Classic Records, Analogue Productions and Music Matters) have ever reissued this one. I feel it is his best studio record, but that's just me. The original RVG (mono) suffered from a lot of distortion, probably cut way too hot.

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Am I to assume that the Tone Poet series will be available at the usual outlets? Or will they be exclusively distributed via Music Matters?

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Distributed by Universal Music, so should be in usual outlets.

joshm2286, Joe Harley and recstar24 like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

No connection whatsoever to MM. Tone poet is through blue note inc. and distributed through universal music.

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question, but where can I find more info about this? I tried Google and all I can find is this thread. Where is the original info coming from?

bluejimbop likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Joe Harley’s posts in the Music Matters thread.

nosliw and dastinger like this.
  16. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. I thought there was something officially out there already. Thanks!

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Might be good for someone to invite Joe over here.

Peterr and Joe Harley like this.
  18. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi John, Pressings for the Tone Poet Series will be by Record Technology Inc. on 180 gram using their finest vinyl formulation, aside from SRX, which is brand new and considerably more expensive to process. Using SRX would absolutely raise the price point of the Tone Poet Series above where Don, Blue Note and I want to be at this time. The Tone Poet pressings will be personally supervised by Rick Hashimoto, plant manager at RTI.

19. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Look for an official announcement about the Tone Poet Series in the 1st week or so of January.

Jerry James, mpayan, nosliw and 13 others like this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This is great Joe , in terms of the lower Tone Poet price point. Some of us have a reality where this lower price point is the difference between buying most vs only a few. Hopefully for you most others can buy both and I do sincerely hope both of these ventures work for you. It will be interesting to see if the SRX series business model can work at the higher price point. (I do understand why the SRX price point is high and I’m NOT suggesting it should be lower , with all the development costs it is what it is.).

I’d also just like to thank you for the endless life pleasure you guys have given with the past Music Matters releases and will give with the upcoming releases , it is life changing!

21. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Whoa...now I'm thoroughly confused. The 6 upcoming MM titles shown here, pressed on "SVX" vinyl are not the Tone Poem series? And yet Joe and Kevin are doing the Tone Poem series? But not through MM? Guys, help :shake:

22. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

You are correct, except for it’s called Tone Poet, not Tone Poem. And the vinyl formulation is called SRX not SVX - SRX standing for Silent Running Xperience. So you are not as confused as you thought you were :).

joshm2286 and rxcory like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Cory, read the threads! :)

Blue Note hired Joe Harley for a reissue series. They're calling it the "Tone Poet" series, because that's Charles Lloyd's nickname for Joe. They sent the tapes to Kevin Gray for cutting, which Joe supervised. The titles will be announced the first week of January or thereabouts, and there will be 18 titles announced for 2019.

Separately, Music Matters is releasing 12 titles on the "SRX" vinyl formulation. These will be available to buy at once on Jan 1, 2019.

24. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Haha, thanks guys! I did read the threads, and I thought the upcoming MM titles were that series. I didn't realize they were being "spun-off" so to speak to Blue Note.

So in short we know what the SRX titles are but not the Tone Poet?

[​IMG]

joshm2286 and PauGasmall like this.
  25. Gabe Walters

We know six of the MM titles so far, with one more announced each day. That's my 12 days of Christmas!

We don't yet know what titles are coming for the Tone Poet series, except for the few drips and drabs Joe has told us in these threads.

rxcory likes this.