10 Best Record Stores In The USA

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sons of nothing, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’m in partial agreement. The Norwood store is great and the Bellingham location is a gem, but on a smaller strip mall scale.

I disagree on the comment regarding competitive prices for new vinyl, however. My travels also take me to Bull Moose, with the credit receipts to match, and their prices are consistently 10% lower than Newbury. I especially see this on RSD, where some of the multi album sets can be $10-15 cheaper

2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Seconded on the In Groove in Phoenix. In a little strip mall but have never been to a more organized and clean record store. Owner has some type of OCD in the best way possible - he cleans every used record, all LPs are covered in plastic sleeves, sticker with condition marked. Bins are tidy, well organized and easy to flip through, and I thought prices were fair. I am trying to finagle a work trip back to Scottsdale just so I can go to this store again.

recstar24, steelydanguy and zphage like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Any used CDs there?

4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’m biased because I get most of my used buys from Reckless, but the staff are really nice and that makes it enjoyable. Plusses are a big selection and a good online database plus 3 locations are nice too! I buy mostly from the Loop store because it is a 4 block walk from work, great excuse to stretch the legs at lunchtime, but if I see something from the other stores online they do 2 -3 runs per week and will deliver it to the Loop location for me, how nice is that? Milwaukee and Broadway are much bigger shops. Broadway has the most jazz, but agree with you that Milwaukee is a better trip because of being able to hit Dusty Groove on the way back to the blue line L stop. Shuga, the other store on Milwaukee is not even in the same ballpark, way overpriced imo.

recstar24 likes this.
  5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Yes Oatsdad. He organizes these above the LPs on a metal tray that is suspended all around the store. They are at eye level so easy to view. Its really a well laid out store. There are definitely more LPs than CDs but he had some good Blue Note (original McMaster 87ish issues). iirc I left with 4-5 cds and about the same number of LPs, (even though it is a pita to fly back with LPs).

Edit: funny, I did an online search and saw some pics of the inside of the store but dont see what I mentioned. Maybe he has changed the layout but I’m sure that existed ( I think?). But yes he has CDs!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Oatsdad likes this.
  6. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Yes his name is mike and he is really knowledgeable, he also has videos on YouTube about the best pressings to buy on some famous records. I love the place

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Went to a Newbury Comics today, one of the Mall stores. I found a used 2 cd set that I wanted to purchase but it had no price on the sticker.
    So I found a clerk and asked him if he could check the price? He grabbed the cd out of my hand and told me he needed to send the cd to the home offices. Then he grumbled that he now had to check the bins for other cd's without a price? Haha too funny!

I just stood there with my hand held out emptied. It was like a scene in a Seinfeld episode. I walked out of the store without a purchase. What they don't need business?
    I have more cd's in my "to sell pile" than they do in this particular mall store. I guess they don't need the sale. I wonder if they would reject a sale of a Funko Pop figure? Absolutely Nuts.

For me ...NO, Newbury Comics is not in any Top 10 list for anything.

As a side note I found the same cd at Amoeba.com , I'm sure they will take my $$$!

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Actually the store is right across the highway from the station Massapequa Park. Frankly I don't find it to be that great. Granted, it's probably better than many stores in NYC, but don't expect to find any bargains there, it's not cheap. Well, maybe common US pressings are little cheaper, but for good import in good shape they will charge at least $20-30 or more. Which is IMO still somehow acceptable but when You add $19 round trip train ride + subway to get to Penn Station, all together it's kinda steep. Also no guarantees that You will definitely find something worth buying.

Gaslight likes this.
  9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

does the Norwood newbury buy vinyl? haven't been there in forever but have a good amount of vinyl that I will never use.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I would presume so, especially since their vinyl section has expanded further. Give them a call. Just remember to view it as cash for a house cleaning rather than a money maker and you'll be fine.

11. easystreetguy

easystreetguy Active Member

My first day on the forum here, thank u soon much for the kind words, appears u know us well. One of the better reviews of us I've read before. Say hi when u in the shop next !

rcrawley likes this.
  12. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

This is a topic near and dear to my heart.

I've been to four of the stores on this most recent Rolling Stone list -- Amoeba (Hollywood), Grimey's (Nashville), Waterloo (Austin, Texas) and the Electric Fetus (Minneapolis) -- and they're all deserving of inclusion. Amoeba is in its own class, in my opinion, at least as far as CDs if not vinyl. The used CD selection is deep and tremendous.

Other stores that I've been to in the past 10 to 15 years that, unless they have changed drastically since I visited them, could have been on the Rolling Stone list: Princeton Record Exchange (Princeton, N.J.), Twist & Shout (Denver), Sound Garden (Baltimore), Music Millennium (Portland, Ore.), Bananas vinyl warehouse (St. Petersburg, Fla.) and the other two Amoebas (San Francisco and Berkeley, Calif.).

Other excellent stores that I've frequented multiple times in the past 15 years, a period in which I have moved around a fair amount: CD Cellar (Falls Church, Va.), Red Onion Records (Washington, D.C.), Trax on Wax (Catsonville, Md.), Mill City Sound (Hopkins, Minn.), Rock & Roll Heaven (Orlando) and Park Ave CDs (Orlando).

Cool/excellent stores I've visited in my first month of living in my new locale, Los Angeles: the aforementioned Amoeba in Hollywood; Rockaway Records in Silver Lake; and Record Surplus in Santa Monica. I'm sure I'll be adding to this particular list as I get a chance for further exploration!

Stores I've always heard great things about but haven't had a chance to visit: Shake It Records in Cincinnati; Sonic Boom in Seattle; Mill Valley Music in Mill Valley, Calif.; Double Decker Records in Allentown, Pa.; Rhino Records in Claremont, Calif.; Black & Read in Arvada, Colo.; Love Garden Sounds in Lawrence, Kan.; and three stores in New Orleans: the Louisiana Music Factory, Euclid Records and Domino Sound Record Shack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

[​IMG]

zphage, chazz101s and Dan Steele like this.
  13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Great info and like your name. Like you I keep notes of any place I visit. I was in Orlando in June and made time to visit Park Avenue CDs. Had no car, staying in the tourist area near Sea World so arranged uber as the record stores are far north side of the city near the downtown. What a waste. They have little to no used CDs, almost all are new CDs. They do have used vinyl, not a ton but it seemed overpriced to me although it was organized and graded. Really would seem to only attract the young hipster crowd. I didnt make it to Rock n Roll Heaven, but from Park Ave walked the mile and half to Retro Records, that was a better store for bin diving, had almost all used cds and vinyl and made some finds (bring a flashlight its dark and owner is a bit surly)

steelydanguy likes this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I haven't been to Soundgarden's Baltimore location, but chanced upon their Syracuse store while in town for a family event a year ago. Very impressive store, including their blu ray selection.

15. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Record Parlour charges way too much - I love and work nearby but hardly ever go in

16. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, I agree they are priced high. Keep an eye out for their sales, usually 50% off.

17. instatone

instatone Forum Resident

I was going to point this out as well but you beat me to it. Start your adventure at Crossroads and if you have more money left then count yourself lucky.

bopdd likes this.
  18. instatone

instatone Forum Resident

Glad to hear some cotes for MM. however I prefer Crossroads due to its multiple sellers in one location. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the new location on Foster road is out of the way for most (leaving more vinyl for those willing to travel an extra two miles from town center)

19. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

Yeah, Park Ave CDs in Orlando mostly carried new CDs and new vinyl when I used to occasionally visit the store when I lived in South Florida from 2011 to 2014. I'd take road trips north to Orlando because the record store scene in South Florida was so dismal.

I always thought visiting Park Ave CDs and Rock & Roll Heaven -- the stores are located pretty close to each other -- made for a fairly strong one-two punch. Park Ave carried the newer stuff, and Rock & Roll Heaven was geared toward older stuff. The stores sort of complemented each other. I preferred Rock & Roll Heaven in terms of selection (they carried CDs and vinyl), so that's too bad that you couldn't check it out.

I never had the chance to visit Retro Records, so I can't comment on that store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan Steele likes this.
  20. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

NYC is a bastion of culture in many ways- theater, movies of all stripes, art galleries, concert venues playing any and all conceivable musical genres...it just bites now for going into a store and easily buying a CD, DVD, or Blu-ray, especially if you are looking for anything older or outside the mainstream

Dan Steele likes this.
  21. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

All v useful. I'll be in Orlando tomorrow for a couple days. Thanks.

steelydanguy likes this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’ve been pretty happy with the vinyl me please 50 states list - at least based on ones I’ve visited, seems more in tune with the common folk than The Rolling Stones list:

The Magazine — Vinyl Me, Please

Dan Steele likes this.
  23. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Nice to meet you as well and will do! I tried to DM you but looks like you can't start a private convo with a new member...odd. I'll keep checking back and will drop you a note once able before stopping by next time I'm in SEA. :)

24. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Well this Rock N Roll Heaven place I'm currently in is a bust. Ok selection but some of the highest prices I've seen this side of that hilarious Peaches place in New Orleans. I'm off!

Dan Steele and Marc Perman like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Man, you're not kidding there. I think (hope) that because it's in the Jax building and get a lot of tourist eyeballs. The prices there are a complete joke. The price very common items there at 3 to 4 times what they should be.

Tom B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.