Hey Londoner’s, need your inputs!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Norco74, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

I will spent the Xmas break in London, UK and would like to do some used vinyl shopping.

What would be your top 5-10 shop suggestions for a prog rock and rock listener looking for 70’s classics ax/bx vinyl pressings?

Cheers!
    :D

imarcq likes this.
  2. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Well, my main suggestion would be to try and find a time machine, because high rents and changing tastes mean the record shop scene in London is a pale ghost of what it was 20, even ten years ago.

However. There are places you can go, keep in mind some shops close altogether over the holiday season so best phone ahead.

You have a depleted Berwick Street in central London - two smallish stores now, Sister Ray and Reckless Records.
    There is the infamous Record and And Tape Exchange in Notting Hill, now rebranded:
    Records & CDs
    You have the Rough Trade shops:
    Stores – Rough Trade
    You might want to try Rat Records in Camberwell, I am trying to find out if they are open this week:
    Rat Records, Camberwell - buy and sell second hand records, albums, cds

Previous discussions:

On a quest for ONE special record in London
    London record stores and what to get??

Norco74, raphph and Neonbeam like this.
  3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Flashback has 3 branches, all of which are worth a look.

Like all the other London stores, the bins can be quite picked over, and whatever is worth having will likely be priced higher than the highest price on Discogs, but it’s still worth a look!

Norco74 and rikki nadir like this.
  4. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I feel like previously people have suggested heading out of central London to zone 6 for a much more fun experience, but I can’t think where was suggested right now.

The only one I can think of is The Record Store in Amersham, which has a decent stock but also the usual prices - except when they have one of their 50% off all second-hand record days, which are well worth attending!

5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I was in London as a 19 year-old some decades ago. I went to a place in Camden Town -- "Rock On Records".

I'd imagine that they're long gone, but they were somewhat fa back then. I'm wondering how long they lasted.

(Supposedly it's where Elvis Costello binge purchased a sh#tload of Stax and Motown 45's as a precursor to the redirected and reworked studio sessions following Armed Forces. Those sessions created Get Happy.)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  6. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Yes, I forgot to mention Camden. In my book a dreadful stew of bewildered tourists and desperate local trendies and thrillseekers, long past it's heyday.

So, bah, and indeed - Humbug!

But still...

Top 10's: Record Stores in Camden | Love Camden

7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Norco74 likes this.
  8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yikes! What the hell happened? It reminds me of the gentrified, tragically hip areas of San Francisco.

9. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Fopp Records close to Cambridge Circus/Shaftesbury Avenue does loads of new vinyl, along with a great range of CDs, DVDs and books. It's probably my record store of choice in town because prices are good too.

10. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I think the main ones have been mentioned but I didn't see Greenwich. As it's a great tourist destination, there are about 3 record stores within minutes in the town centre. Also the markets normally have a record stall too. Lots of food, history, riverside walks, lovely park, observatory, museums, old buildings galore....and some record shopping too. Nice :) You can get a train a couple of stops from Charing Cross, or the Docklands light railway. Lots of the big red things pass through too!

Norco74 and LivingForever like this.
  11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Not much to add here, except to say that although Rat Records in Camberwell is a bit out of the way, my tripa there have never disappointed. Get there for 1030 on a Saturday morning, if you can, for their new stock sale.

Also out of the way, but good, is Alan's Record Shop in Finchley. A small shop that is actually overflowing with vinyl, and more than a few buried gems. Alan himself is a good man, as well.

Norco74, LivingForever and englishbob like this.
  12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I find the Music Store in Greenwich far too over priced .... especially their CDs

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

True...but it's Greenwich....so if you're a tourist no better place to visit eh? There's a smaller but overflowing, slightly grotty one in nearby Lee High Road. Been there for years. Boxes and crates all over. But I think I'd rather have a nice lunch and walk around Greenwich Park :)

Norco74 likes this.
  14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

Wow, thank you all. I have more than enough suggestions to keep me busy for a while!

I will put that on a map and see how it fares with the rest of our tourist journey.

Merry Xmas!

Daniel

imarcq likes this.
  15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Avoid Camden - if you do go, bear in mind that the last 20 years have seen it become a destination almost entirely subservient to tourists. No good record shops either. All gone as the major brands moved in. I live up the road in Kentish Town/Tufnell Park and almost never go to Camden.

eddiel and imarcq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.