SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

WABCRADIO77

stereoptic and bxbluesman like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Then we won't be bleeding when listening to their work.

Starwanderer, tmtomh and sunspot42 like this.
  3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Jimmy Rabbit, guys from Mouse and the Traps, Robin Hood Brians did a cover of Psychotic Reaction on the short lived Hanna-Barbera Records:

stereoptic likes this.
  4. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Steve, do you have audiophile (or at least significantly upgraded over stock) audio in your vehicles?

dav-here and 2trackmind like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Time now to get on the Industry on how they have their records pressed.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No. Helps for them to be stock, believe it or not. Anything else is like the loudness button permanently pushed to "on."

RSteven, snkcube, Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

@Steve Hoffman

Were you/AF close to doing the third Rage Against the Machine album before AF had to shut down? Or was that a long shot even if they stayed in business?

8. Steve Hoffman

Yes, in pre-production.

Hymie the Robot and noname74 like this.
  9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

That's funny, on the basis of what I had been hearing on the 45s of Honky Tonk Women, 19th Nervous breakdown, Jumpin Jack Flash, Little red rooster, Get off of my cloud... , a few days ago I ordered over Discogs a later '70's boxed Decca single pressing of "Paint it Black".
    Later '70's press on the basis that the Rolling Stones LPs, the Deccas, the '70's "boxed Decca" pressings all sound better to me than the original "unboxed Decca" pressings.

10. Steve Hoffman

But don't look as cool going around on your turntable.

somnar and showtaper like this.
  11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

:D
    I've occasionally wondered about the sonic differences between those original '60's Deccas and the late 70's and that early 80's series of the Stones.
    Either Decca added treble / frequency boost on top, or if the equipment - pressing chain was better - so they got more out of the tapes.
    The 1984 MoFi set sounds very similar to the later Deccas, with more on top, but - to me anyway - a bit more clarity.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Steve, is there anything of particular note you remember about the MCA Vintage Music Collectors Series CDs you did. I ask because I am looking for a good sounding "Eve Of Destruction" on CD (it looks like Mono is not an option), and also I've become fascinated by The Jaynett's Sally, Go 'Round The Roses which is on one of them. I have Sally, Go 'Round on the Chess Rhythm and Roll box but am interested in hearing your version and wonder if you remember working on that cut.

Happy Holidays everyone.

13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Hi Steve,
    I joined SHF only a few days ago and I love it. I already feel right at home around here. Thank you for giving us a cozy virtual home where we can discuss audio, learn new things and have fun all at the same time.

I wish you and your family a beautiful holiday season and a fantastic new year!

Best Regards,
    Devin

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Have you ever mastered a Christmas compilation ?

15. Steve Hoffman

The Sally I did is about 3 mix steps down. It's in stereo but missing some overdubs and a lot of distortion. It's not complete but it sounds a lot better. A mistake to do it like that on my part, I think.

EVE is from the stereo master, flat. The mono master and the four track original was destroyed by ABC Records.

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Does The Ventures or Gleason (I think?) count?

RSteven likes this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:eek:

18. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Hi Steve. Merry Xmas to you and yours and hope you are enjoying the holidays.

Thanks for all that you do to enable the dialogue between us all. Above all, thanks for your sense of humour!

Thanks for your stellar efforts in mastering, especially "Wheels of Fire" DCC and "Who's Next" CD issues.

Do you still master for LP's? You did "Two's Missing" by The Who in another lifetime, correct?

19. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

How many different stereo setups would you say you listen to a master on before you sign off on it? I would imagine all different levels of systems are involved.

20. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Has the mastering you did for the Beach Boys '63-'65 singles (hits?) ever been released? If so, where?

Also, I did needle drops of The Association's singles and used a graphic equalizer program to EQ to your specs, which is a dramatic improvement. Are there other singles catalogs that need this treatment? What do you think of The Mamas & The Papas 45 compilation that was released?

"A clue for ya.

This body of work was recorded and mixed at (in my opinion) one of the worst studios in town. You need some serious MAMAS AND PAPAS EQ, just like I had to do with that band recorded in the same place. You need to take out 5 db at 3400/6, 2 out at 6 or 8k/6, 2 out at 10k, add 3 at 50 cycles/6, add 2 at 150 cycles/6 to even approach good sound on this stuff.

In other words, a lot of "reverse EQ"...."

Thanks!

ChristianL likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Minimum of two but I've done it with just one. Depends on if you trust the playback system or not.. Usually two or three systems though; the studio and two at my house.

22. Steve Hoffman

No idea, I hope so, it was a lot of work. I got paid so probably.

Never heard the Mamas & Papas 45 comp. What did they use for masters, records?

23. Steve Hoffman

Will be mastering records again soon, on a vintage Scully/Westrex cutting system. Magic sound made to order..

vonwegen, teag, MerseyBeatle and 16 others like this.
  24. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Hooray!!
    Go Steve. Keep us posted!

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

concerning crosby, stills & nash:

since you did the couch album and the boat album, any chance that 'daylight again and/or live it up or after storm could be in the future?

and of course the long shot..........................'deja vu"?