I wish audio advertisers would stop . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

(1) . . . making up fanciful technobabble to sell their stuff.

(2) . . . having Web sites that list product names only (not grouped by function or level of luxe), which is like trying to navigate the IKEA catalog using only those Swedish (?) names.

You?

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Agreed on both accounts. It is especially surprising how bad some of the websites remain in terms of design and incompatibility with mobile phones. Some of this may be due to the companies being led by folks with stronger engineering than business backgrounds.

Grado is an example of a great website.

BrentB and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

One beef I have is many companies desperately need a User Experience Analyst to vet their site and are oblivious at how bad their site actually is despite the bling.

That is by no means limited to audio sites!

AaronW, John, vwestlife and 1 other person like this.
  4. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

The salk speakers site comes to mind, as does Ohm

5. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

My two pet audio advertising peeves:
    1. Beautiful living room pictures of equipment and speakers and Zero cables being used, let alone visible.
    2. Adverts showing their equipment stacked nice and high, and then the manual telling you not to do that!

6. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Man you really nailed this one!!!
    1. Beautiful living room pictures of equipment and speakers and Zero cables being used, let alone visible.

7. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

1) Not listing prices (or not until you put something in the shopping cart)

2) Not offering downloads of user manuals and spec sheets

3) Puerile depictions of female models draped over their speakers or gazing admiringly at the man with the good taste to choose their products.

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Advertisers and reviewers must spend a lot of time with a dictionary and a Thesaurus to find all these words and phrases they love to use. :imwithstupid:

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't know if there is a bigger hobby field with more nonsense in it than home audio. What else even comes close to the horsecrap spewed out by manufacturers, sales people, and even the end users? I can't think of one.

10. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How about sites where it is really difficult to find out who the heck the distributor is?
    Or sites where the products carried are not updated.
    Or better yet, where the dealers are no longer dealers...kinda like have you ever noticed that "Find A Doctor" listings are often wildly wrong about what location(s) the doctor is actually at?

Most?? annoyingly, where you cannot find out who is actually a dealer (MoFi, I'm talking about YOU and QUAD, since you have not responded to me or a friend's repeated inquiries). Also annoyingly, when nobody can tell you where a particular model has actually been shipped to.

Best/worst of all, businesses with NO website at all, or a website with no hours or menu (so many restaurants, silly fools).

12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I wish audio advertisers would stop . . .

....raising prices.

13. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I don't have a problem with that. Realizing that their market is predominantly male, how else are they going to attract interest in an otherwise nondescript box?

14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My biggest beef is no price, no distributor list, no way to purchase. It is snobbery. It can’t be lack of common business sense.

15. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I dunno...performance, value, build quality, appearance, features, support?

BTW - I’m also a Wendy Waldman fan, if that’s your screen name. Good taste, sir!

vwestlife and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  16. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Unfortunately the low volume sales of most audio companies mean that they have to gain large profits from each item sold in order to survive.It's either that or the end of most audiophile products altogether.Value for money and the 'sound per $' ratio is irrelevant in most cases nowadays (outside mass produced chinese products).

Ezd and Fishoutofwater like this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

...conspiring with audio “reviewers” to convince folks that astronomical prices are “reasonable” and their products are “superlative”.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

An old complaint: CD players were frequently pictured with the CDs loaded upside-down. Never did hear an explanation for this, as some were pictured with discs properly oriented.

vwestlife and audiomixer like this.
  19. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

When speaker companies list a frequency response and don’t tell you whether the bass extension is -1.5dB, -3dB, -6dB or -10dB.

Spendor and ProAc are both offenders here. Drives me mad!

defmoot, vwestlife, Mike-48 and 2 others like this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Incomplete or ‘highly optimistic’ specs, no prices listed, no list of dealers, and (the biggie) using their ad dollars to make the ‘review’ mags/sites basically spew ‘advertising by other means’ in the form of unfailingly positive reviews, no matter the merits - or lack thereof - of the actual product. :wtf:

That about cover it?

George P, Mike-48 and patient_ot like this.
  21. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

today I watched a Rugby match and the Bath team had a Naim patch on left sleeve...

22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The corollary to this is, Wirecutter gives the ELAC Debut system a good review along the lines of "This is a great system for $1,000" ELAC promptly raises the price to $1500. It is now no longer a good system for the price and Wirecutter now recommends the KEF system.

George P and Shawn like this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

One current ad, forgot brand, has a streamer with the led display showing the Beatles Let It Be DSD

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You had me, until #3 :laughup:

25. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Not a manufacturer but the Audio Advisor catalog cracks me up. The quotes and photos fr satisfied buyers are ridiculous. Not to mention the story of George Cardas working for a local rock band many years ago. The story goes on to tell how George was “disgusted” by the poor quality of the cables and how it served as an inspiration. I just got my first AA catalog in many years-same story as prior to the Obama Administration.

riddlemay and vwestlife like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.