Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

It’s out there

tedg65 likes this.
  2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The sentiment of your post (if not the words as written) needs to be bronzed and displayed above the entrance into the inner-sanctum of Beach Boy fandom.

Their oddness, uncomfortable-ness, dorkiness, and often stupidness -- is fully offset and rounded out by their brilliance, coolness, chillness and heart-breaking beauty. You shan't have one without the other. An important part of a balanced breakfast. Ridiculous humility and blinding genius.

D.B., Gardo, picassoson and 12 others like this.
  3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

At least four songs from 20/20 are have (Beach Boys initial recording) roots in 1967 or earlier - Our Prayer, Cabinessence, Bluebirds Over the Mountain, and Time to Get Alone.

This has always been my least favorite of the post-Smile output, due to the fact it's such a mish-mash. On a song-by-song basis, I just don't like the material as much either, compared to the others. I was always under the impression 20/20 was a contractual obligation album to Capitol.

4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I like the material, but, I agree it's a mish-mash. However, I think that merely better sequencing could have easily improved it.

All their albums were, ultimately, contractual obligations. Starting with 20/20, they just recorded songs as a group of songwriter/producers and when the record company demanded an album, Carl would put one together from the dozens of songs they had laying around. It's a wonder that albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up have any kind of gestalt whatsoever. Logically, they should have the the cohesion of 20/20 or Carl and the Passions: So Tough, i.e., not much cohesion at all. Yet they do have it..
    I reckon that Desper had a lot to do with that.

KirkK and Spencer R like this.
  5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It's the same as the LP but there is some sticky splice stuff going on on Little Bid and Be Still.
    I was hoping that TM wouldn't have that sloppy tape edit during the sax solo that resembles a skip.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Are there noises on some songs on the Friends Pastmasters CD which are absent from other releases? I don't think I noticed, but that doesn't mean anything.

7. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Were Ricky Fataar's contributions from older backing tracks or did he come back and do more sessions with them later? That's an interesting thought.
    4 Brian backing tracks? What were the other 3?

Sorry to be off topic, but this stuff is fascinating to me

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks for this. I'll keep looking. I know that on YouTube there used to be a long version (I can't remember if it was twenty minutes) but I'm pretty sure it didn't have what's on the LP. I can't find it on YouTube anymore though - just countless uploads of the LP edit...mono and stereo!

9. pool_of_tears

Nope. Any artifacts that you hear on the Pastemasters disc, you'll hear them on the 1990 and 2001 2-fer discs, save for the removal of some tape hiss on the 1990 2-fer.

10. pool_of_tears

Yeah, Brian cut 4 songs at Western in July 1979. All he wanted to do was oldies and those sessions ended in just 2 days. To keep brian interested, they called in Chuck Britz and even an old valve mixing board was brought in. The 4 songs were:

School Days
    Little Girl
    Stranded In The Jungle
    Jamiaca Farewell

11. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The contractual album owed to Capitol after the Beach Boys signed with Warner Reprise was to be called "Reverberation" and consisted of the following (the master tape labelled 'Last Capitol Album")"

Cottonfields (Mono Mix)
    Loop de Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane)
    All I Wanna Do
    Got to Know the Woman (Mono Mix)
    When Girls Get Together (Instrumental Track)
    Break Away
    San Miguel
    Celebrate the News
    Deirdre
    The Lord's Prayer (Duophonic Mix)
    Forever

But the Beach Boys decided against submitting it to Capitol, instead using several of the tracks for the Add Some Music/Sunflower album and giving Capitol "Live in London" instead. So Live in London is really the final contractual Capitol album.

12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Very cool, I never knew that. This album fills a nice gap -- gathering up a lot of the band's "experiments" that had no home. Of course a big chunk did end up on Sunflower. But I think one could find a few replacements.

13. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

Yes...and then Capitol didn't even release it in the U.S.A.! (until 1976, when the Beach Boys were - briefly - "hot" again).

14. Craig Slowinski

And, to further peak Brian's interest, they brought in an old 4-track machine to record these songs on!

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  15. pool_of_tears

Seriously?

16. pool_of_tears

Thinking of Keepin’ The Summer Alive, there’s a better album lurking...between the outtakes and what actually made the cut.

Pants Party, pablo fanques and FJFP like this.
  17. Craig Slowinski

Ricky came back (as a session player) and recorded several songs with them, including "Keeping The Summer Alive", "Little Girl" (a new 24-track version, which formed the basis for "Sunshine" on the released album), and "Endless Harmony", although the drums on the latter song were redone by Scott Matthews.

D.B., harmony kick and PhoffiFozz like this.
  18. Craig Slowinski

Oh, yeah...that's why the basic instrumental track of "School Days" on the album is in mono...it was transferred to 24-track, and other instruments were added (and the vocals, of course), but the initial backing track is locked in mono.

19. pool_of_tears

I learned something new. Thanks, Craig!

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For the most part, it seems like that became a common theme during the 1970's and early 1980's.

21. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Craig Slowinski, you need to write a book!!
    Thanks for your contributions!

22. pool_of_tears

Post-Sunflower, I agree!

23. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

And it would have been good if they deleted TLP(which really no one cared about) and added Dennis' "Lady" which is a terrific, underrated song. Are you talking about the "Cottonfields" single in stereo or the mono lp cut?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It don't make any sense to bring in 'lords prayer', a recording from 63!!
    I know it's brilliantly structured harmonically and all that, but I don't think anybody cares about it that much.
    Probably the subject matter, something they rectified by 'and your dream comes true'.

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

It's the Cottonfields single in mono.