The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Ha! Yeah, I've got some Shure cartridges that came with a little 2 gram weight that I suppose can be used as a shim. Looks like the plastic one pictured up-thread might be better because it wouldn't change the weight so much.

2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Rumors are Technics is bringing a new DJ turntable to the, erm, table, in 10 days at CES. It could be the MK7 or a small player for 7" records only. Let's wait and see.

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The Mk. 7 is the 1200GR.

displayname likes this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Technically it's the GAE, if seen that way. But they may keep the GAE/G/GR as audiophile models and continue the perceived "dj line" with MK7. We'll see in 10 days, the event is called "Technics 7th", held on the 7th day of 2019. Its the 40th anniversary of MK2 btw. So far just speculations, but highly "suspicious".
    CES 2019: Technics reveals event focusing on legendary SL-1200 turntables
    "So, Technics hasn't been shy of announcing new products at CES, and with a party lined-up to celebrate the Technics SL-1200, we can't help but put two and two together."

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  5. Erocka2000

I would say the GAE/G is more like the SP-10 Mk. 2.2 with the SP10R being the SP10 Mk. 4 and 1200GR being the 1200 Mk. 7.

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

No wonder the new 1200's are built like tanks. I am sure this has been posted before but the attention to detail in the Mfg process is amazing.

Each unit hand made by one person, no assembly line, and for the G/GR models only 15/25 units are made a day. May explain why some here are waiting for their GR's

The making of: Technics SL-1000R

GruvyWade, gt81, snorker and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

Question for owners here: dustcover or no dustcover? I don’t have cats or kids that I would be nervous about.

8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Do you have dust?

MikeK, csgreene and MusicNBeer like this.
  9. Erocka2000

Off when in use, on when not.

MikeK and ClausH like this.
  10. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Up when in use, down when not.

bever70 and MikeK like this.
  11. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Down all the time except when changing an LP. It's entirely possible that music playback quality is compromised slightly but it sounds so good I don't care about that.

All my LPs have been RCM cleaned & I want to keep the surface as dust free as possible. Stylus & record wear is caused more by abrasion with crud in the grooves than friction between diamond & vinyl.

12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The dustcover is on when the table is idle, but I remove it completely when spinning LPs.

MikeK likes this.
  13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

As to dustcovers, always down, whether at rest or playing records. I don't buy into the claim that they hurt playback. Certain not on any system I've owned or own currently.

Wngnt90, BGLeduc, Sterling1 and 2 others like this.
  14. gt81

gt81 Active Member

You beauty, this was the article I was trying to find the other day about 1200 production. I KNEW it was What HiFi, but didn't realise it was in an article for the 1000, hence I couldn't find it :righton:

15. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I've always thought of the turntable as a boat and the dustcover as a giant resonance sail :)

MikeK likes this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I read people making similar claims on audio forums, I've just never actually experienced it first hand.

17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

....or a no relevance old-wives-tale? :kilroy:

Wngnt90 and BGLeduc like this.
  18. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I agree, always down. I would have thought that, if anything, it would aid playback and help diminish sound from the speakers being picked up by the cartridge.

luckybaer and Sterling1 like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Perhaps my ear/gear is not at the level of those that can "hear" their covers, but I would think that if it is adding feedback then your issue is with isolation, not the cover?

DoF and classicrocker like this.
  20. punkmusick

I upgraded to a diamond dustcover that helps to tighten the bass and the higher frequencies really shine. For only $999 it was a bargain. Comes with golden hinges for lossless connection.

DoF, rlwings, The Dragon and 8 others like this.
  21. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Dustcover on all the time on my GR, it's quality and doesn't detract from the look of the table, unlike say the cheap Rega lids.

bever70 and MusicNBeer like this.
  22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Dust cover should always be in down position when in play. To understand why, tonight, with dust cover remaining up, place a record on your turntable and play. Then, turn off all lights in the listening room and direct a flash light to the turntable spindle. This illuminates airborne dust particles being drawn to the spinning record. Seeing this you will clearly understand the need for the dustcover being placed in the down position when playing records. If concerned about the cover's static electricity pulling up the cart, discharge the cover by spraying it with distilled water and blot, not rub, with a micro-fiber cloth. BTW, the Technics operator's manual recommends playing records with dust cover down. I'm sure, with dust cover attached and in up position it acts as a resonance amplifier.

23. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Recently bought a 1210GR with an Ortofon 2M black. It has replaced a Project Classic with a Benz Silver element.

After two weeks I can say that the 1210GR plays in a different league. This could be my last turntable:agree:

The surface noise of the Black is not an issue. Compared to the Benz it has disappeared

JamsOnly, displayname, james and 2 others like this.
  24. punkmusick

I see a lot of people getting 1210 rather than 1200 recently. I wonder if they're making more 1210 than 1200.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The 1210 is available from Guitar Center, often at a steep discount. Wider distribution and better price.

punkmusick and displayname like this.