Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I especially love that the recording of Solid Rock hadn't even been released yet, so either the audience member had been at a prior show, or Bob was playing up the request.

Spencer R and windfall like this.
  2. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Bought the Deluxe around June or so. This era had never really caught my interest, but my curiosity got the better of me. (Plus I'm a sucker for a well-executed box set.)

I love it. It's wonderful.
    Very few misfires over the 8 discs.
    (I'm even pining for the San Diego bonus.) :help:

SteveFff, streetlegal and Runicen like this.
  3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

I just revisited Earls Court '81.
    (Only 2nd listen, ever.)

Man, what a great show. The revamped older material is really something. And the more current material is performed extremely well. Great vocals. Spectacular recording, as well.

Again -- I honestly never expected to own anything from this era of Dylan, much less enjoy it. I love this set. It's a true blessing.

4. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Played the first disc a few times this week to change things up, and really enjoyed it. I had tended to prefer the 1980 Toronto versions, but, after giving the collection a fairly lengthy rest, the '79 performances held up really well, including the Saved material which is less my bag.

I'll move on to disc two at some point, work my way through the whole thing, I guess. Fun to come back after a fairly lengthy break, and certainly a contrast to More Blood!

5. streetlegal

Each of the Slow Trains is phenomenal--I also love the one you refer to, even though it is sans the awesome keyboard break that usually adorns it (as on disc 8).

The ramp-up the song takes at the start of verse two is like a sudden burst of fuel-injection (possibly something to do with the way it was recorded, but it sounds great)!

mark ab, jay.dee and Fender Relic like this.
  6. streetlegal

That be Steve Ripley shredding it on lead!

ronbow, mark ab and jay.dee like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

More Blood, More Wine...

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Hey guys.

So, I was on Youtube today, and I found an upload of the "movie" from this set. I sat and watched the entire thing, and was blown away.

Now, this set has been out for a bit, so it'll have had time to settle with you folk. My questions are:

1) Is the music on the movie representative of the CD's?
    2) How do you feel about the set after all this time - how has it "settled" with you?

9. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I don't know the answers but I've wondered what amount of overlap there is between the CDs and the film. Anyone know what is in the film that isn't available elsewhere? I know Abraham Martin and John is one example

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

To me, Another Self Portrait remains the most revelatory Bootleg Series release in terms of proving that there was way more to one of Bob’s misunderstood periods than the critics and many of the fans grasped at the time.

However, Trouble No More is a close second. Bob sings I’m Gonna Change My Way of Thinking, and Trouble No More has changed my way of thinking about his gospel period. If the Band in 1966 was his best-ever backing band (I think so), the band and backing singers he has behind him from 1979 to 1981 were close to that good. I started out with the two-CD version, but am going to get the eight-CD version. I wish I had pre-ordered the super deluxe with the bonus San Diego concert.

11. Dr. Luther's Assistant

It's 80 bucks at Amazon right now (with an instant coupon). Crazy. It makes me wanna buy a second copy.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just ordered it. Out of curiosity, what did the big box start out at on Amazon?

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've been listening to my TNM box this past week and it is really great. I always liked this period and the studio albums but live they stretched, altered, and improved upon the studio cuts. I've only listened to the first 4 CD's closely so far and haven't viewed the DVD yet.

TNM box live stuff might be even better than his live work with The Band and that's saying a lot as I hold The Band in the highest regard,with and without Bob.

mark ab and Spencer R like this.
  14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Don't know.

But I paid $120, through Amazon, at the end of August, and considered it a good deal after looking around. You done good, certainly.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I did buy the 2-CD version first. :)

And will probably pay through the nose on eBay for the San Diego bonus disc. :cry:

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I got the Deluxe version yesterday from Santa and have been playing it all day. I still hate Slow Train Coming and Saved with a fiery passion but the music in a live setting is great. Consider this atheist a convert to these songs.

18. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

iloveguitars and Bonddm like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The big box arrived and I watched the DVD last night. I could have done without the actor preaching the sermons between songs - who thought that that was a good idea? - but the concert and rehearsal footage of Bob is great.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I assume you mean you hate Slow Train Coming the album? I find that to be one of Bob’s better studio albums, in terms of the production and arrangements, although I agree that the Saved material came across better in concert.

NumberEight likes this.
  21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I like this set much more than More Blood, More Tracks, but I've always preferred the live volumes of the Bootleg Series, anyway.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Yeah -- I felt the same way the first time I watched. I skipped over the sermon segments. The second time, I watched it all straight through. And with being aware of the full presentation, going in, I actually quite enjoyed it. The sermon segments are pretty short -- and the actor did a really good job, I think.

Gabba Gabba and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I would have more been interested in hearing Bob’s sermons or raps between the songs on the live material. But I guess for whatever reason those were edited out, except for the brief dialogue before Solid Rock and a few other songs.

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The sermons were Bob’s idea. Not including any of Dylan’s original raps was also Bob’s idea.

25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Yeah.
    I figured as much.

RayS likes this.