Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

I actually quite like the song. Apparently I'm in the minority, but that's okay, I've been there before.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Finally listened after reading through the thread. I was braced for something horrible. I liked it. It didn’t need the auto tune effect, that’s all.

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Bob Dylan’s voice is far more shot than Paul’s, yet Dylan somehow pulled some beautiful vocals out of his hat on his recent Sinatra songbook albums. As I said above, perhaps that is the sort of material for which seventy-something voices are better suited than they are suited for modern pop.

Part of Paul’s problem with losing his voice is that he had farther to fall than Dylan, or Neil Young, or Lou Reed, etc. When you were once one of the greatest voices in music, it’s going to be more noticeable when you start to decline.

4. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I don’t mind it - it’s fairly inconsequential and it was a wise move to leave it off the album proper. The production choices are jarring, however. The last bit is quite good, suggesting that it had potential as a “big” McCartney ballad if played straighter. Either that, or I wish they had taken the auto-tune section further into leftfield.

It’s New Year’s Day, and we get a new 2019 Paul McCartney single. I’m good with that.

5. Well that’s a mess. Ouch !

6. We need a new McCartney instrumental album

7. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

The song, ugh, but what really strikes me from checking out the link is that Paul McCartney is playing Fort Wayne and Moline??!!?

ZippyPippy likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Paul McCartney. His voice is fantastic. Period.

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Erm....are you listening to Wings Over America?

SoundDoctor, SRC, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  10. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

I quite liked it. A lot of people will make the lazy 'Autotune = Kanye influence' point, but to me, this sounds like Paul may have been more influenced by Bon Iver or James Blake... and made it Macca-like and a bit too polished to be 'cool'.

Yes he's older but at least he is trying something more contemporary that doesn't sound like the Fuh You (which I also didn't hate).

I'll leave this here in case people wanted to see a potential reference/influence... Personally, I think Justin Vernon pulls this 'autotune' sound off a lot better...

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Haters hate.

broshfab4 and JDeanB like this.
  12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

He's 76 and his singing voice has gone. It's just one of those things.

Pete Puma, Ratto and NaturalD like this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I lasted about a minute before deciding I'd "got enough".

14. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

No. People hate. Sorry to tell you this but it is a natural human emotion. If you pretend you never hate anything, you are a liar. And I hate auto-tune. It has become a clichéd modern vocal effect. A boring gimmick too many songs feature these days.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Ratto, Frank and Cronverc like this.
  15. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

I liked the wordless bridge, it sounds quite nice. The rest is inconsequential but not this horror people are talking about. Just boring.

SoundDoctor and kevintee like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I agree that Justin pulls it off better. That album, and this song in particular, was a favorite of mine for 2016.

It's autotune(? or just vocal distortions) for artistic effect, not to hide a voice that's failing.

SoundDoctor and RobCooper like this.
  17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

On first listen, I like the break and the sad, simple plaintive lyric. Any excuse to stomp your foot around here.

JDeanB and PhoffiFozz like this.
  18. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

He sounds like an old man, which he is of course. Shakey vowels, slurring and hissing consonants, etc.
    When the FX kicked it, I remembered this

Inner circle or not, not enough challenges or not, too many "yes-men" or not, I guess for a long time now he recorded and put out whatever he wanted, mostly.

Yorick and NaturalD like this.
  19. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

His speaking voice gone too... perhaps he has some severe nodules on his vocal chords and he just needs some surgery.

20. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

Surgeries when 76 can be tricky. If it's not a matter of life or death....

21. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Sounds like typical modern production, like something from crappy "New" album. Can't stand it.

As for "Egypt Station", i actually like it very much. I'm happy that this song didn't make it to the album.

22. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I posted this in the Egypt Station thread, but really it should go here:

I'm not a fan of autotune used in the way it is in "Get Enough". But having said that, I don't think this song is bad by any stretch of the imagination. It's an interesting tune. Without the autotune, I think it would be a really cool album track. With the autotune, it is what it is. (And still think it is a decent track) It's just an effect and I'm not sure it warrants anymore criticism than any other effect from any other period (i.e. gated snare sound of the 80's etc.)
    What does strike me is that it certainly doesn't seem like "single" material to me. Then again, I've never been one to really know that 'formula' anyway.

I listened to part of the song before midnight last night as I was reading the comments and I rolled my eyes and though "yeah, this is not very good". But when midnight came along I listened to the whole song and it changed my perspective and I enjoyed it. I don't think it's great and it's certainly not close to the best thing from these sessions. But it is an interesting creative tune. And I'm quite glad he released it as sort of a bonus. I really like the cover art.

It's another song in his catalog ... and boy that is quite a catalog!

23. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Exactly this.

RobCooper likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Wow, this is a also a dumb, played-out sonic gimmick when a “young,” “hip” artist like Bon Iver uses it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Well said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.