Band member that contributed the least , but gladly rode the wave of success?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jocko, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Im probably gonna catch some flack for this one, bit I always thought Roger Daltry was only marginally important in The Who. He doesn’t write any songs or play an instruments. Each other band member clearly excels at their particular instrument. Pete writes most stuff and sings darn good versions. I much prefer his more natural takes on many of The Who’s hits over Roger’s. Yeah, no doubt, the man can swing a microphone with the best of ‘em! I do think Pete needs a break from singing, so for that reason, he does serve a purpose. The weak link in my opinion.

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Daltrey is a better singer and frontman than Townshend.

3. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Obvious answers: Bez: Happy Mondays, Andrew Ridgely: Wham!

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Watch some live videos of Roger on stage. He was/is an incredibly dynamic front man and a fantastic, "manly" singer, sort of the antithesis of flouncy Plant.

cartoonist, jethrotoe, Fred1 and 72 others like this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Roger is one the best , nobody like him. I think his voice makes The Who in a way and they wouldn't be the same without him.

6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Correcto mundo ..
    .. no Daltrey, no Who.

7. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Daltrey was essential to that band. Full stop.

8. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

I would say milli or vanilli

Geordiepete, Paul W, lordcat and 82 others like this.
  9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I honestly cannot think of a member of any band that fits the bill here.
    Riding the gravy train? ..
    .. those who would fit the bill aren't likely to have held their position in a band long enough to be considered. Moreover, it seems the parameters of the OP would tend to exclude such artists from my own realm of familiarity by way of natural selection, as it were.

jethrotoe, Davido and Jocko like this.
  10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I don't think the OP could have picked a worse example. The energy and intensity of Roger's singing was a major part in why Chris Stamp and Kit Pedlar got interested in the band in the first place. Roger has kept himself fit and his charming jack the lad personality helped balance that band. No Roger=No Who.

nosticker, jethrotoe, Fred1 and 51 others like this.
  11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I think Bez was deliberately cast in that role
    The kind of "anyone can be in a band if he is my mate" and the weird thing is it works. Bez has built a career out of just being Bez.

12. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

I'd say Sid Vicious, but besides Lydon he's the most famous ex-pistol, so in terms of image, headlines and scandal Sid probably served his purpose.

13. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Brian Eno was discussing this idea with Brian Cox on the radio on boxing day, how sometimes the smallest contribution to a creative situation can actually have a huge impact on the end result.

14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Numerous bass players.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I have to agree: Daltrey is a dreadful example. His yell on “Won't Get Fooled Again” and his stutter on “My Generation” are two of the great moments of Classic Rock and neither would have existed without him.

Without suggesting that the contribution of either to their band was negligible, the first people to come to my mind are Paul Rutherford in Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Bez in the Happy Mondays because both were basically dancers.

16. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Leeroy Thornhill and Sharky in the Prodigy

Yesternow and autumn daze like this.
  17. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Well, I love Steve Marriott - much better singer, plus a songwriter and a guitar player. But the band would have worked with one more personality like his. On the other hand, Daltrey is on record saying how gratefull he was for being in the band.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

If it wasn't for Daltry, Townshend wouldn't have been driven enough, both literally and figuratively to have kept a job wrapping hot pie.

Fullbug, Uuan, No Bull and 8 others like this.
  19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Jimi Hendrix didn’t seem to think much of Noel Redding, but when I think of my favorite bands, most of them had exceptional bass players. Almost like it’s a pretty important element. Do you have some favorite bands that carried a bassist who brought nothing to the table?

20. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

I'd like to add that Little Miss Strange and She's So Fine are two of the Jimi Hendrix Experience's best songs as well.

21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought this was going to be a Ringo Starr thread....:hide:

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

More than that: I didn't Fully appreciate what Bez brought to the party (strike that..) I didn't fully appreciate what Bez did for the band beyond being something for the audience to watch, until I saw the TV show where they were taken to a desert island and did some music with some natives that hadn't experienced live electric music before (or some such). Shaun Ryder was the main man, but he's not hugely outgoing and prefers to be quiet in the corner and not interacting with people, whereas Bez was all about talking to everyone and being the conduit into the band. That's when I realised what he was: The fans would love to get to talk to Bez, and didn't mind so much if Shaun wasn't available, whereas if there was no Bez then Shaun would have to - even when he didn't really want to which was probably all the time.

23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I don’t quite get why Amanda Palmer solo becomes The Dresden Dolls when non-writing, virtually non-singing, Brian Viglione is on drums (except, oddly, on one song on a parenthetical solo album).

Former Lee Warmer and phillyal1 like this.
  24. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Phil12 and Dodoz like this.
  25. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

As did I, but we all know that dead horse has been well and truly flogged. I've finally got around to reading Mark Lewisohn's Beatles book (volume 1), and am just at the point of the band's first EMI session, still with Pete. Every person quoted makes no bones about how good a drummer Ringo was at this time, and how poor Pete was (not even in comparison, just in general).
    Ringo gets brickbats from people that know damn all about either drumming, or band dynamics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.