Masked Singer singing competition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone watching this singing competition with "celebrities" signing in costume? It's from the network that brought us reality shows like Joe Millionaire, I Wanna Marry Harry, Married by America and Mr. Personality. :)

Hollywood Reporter: 'The Masked Singer': How the Fox Reality Show Scored Top Talent (and Kept It Secret)

Entertainment Weekly: Fox's 'The Masked Singer': What the holy hell is this?

From Wikipedia:

Hosted by Nick Cannon, the show will feature celebrities singing in a head-to-toe costume and face mask which conceals their identities from other contestants, the panelists, and the audience.

A total of 12 celebrities will appear and compete on the show. One singer will be eliminated each week, and their true identities will be revealed alongside their respective eliminations. Small hints revealing their identity will be given to viewers during the show, while panelists Ken Jeong, Jenny McCarthy, Nicole Scherzinger and Robin Thicke will "play detective."

The competitors are said to be "household names" that have a combined 65 Grammy nominations, 16 multi-Platinum albums, 16 Emmy nominations, 9 Broadway shows, 4 Super Bowl titles, and 4 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The series is based on the South Korean format King of Mask Singer.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    starfieldroad likes this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I haven't watched it, and won't watch it.
    But then, I don't watch ANY of the singing/America's Got Talent type shows.
    But this one appears to take the cake on stupidity.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think we need to be more like foreign TV: we need teenage supermodels oil wrestling, height challenged people battling each other out in costumes, recognizable characters in bumblebee outfits, and of course lots more teen models oil wrestling. The hell with this golden age of TV crap: give the people what they want.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Oil wrestling, you say?

5. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I'm sure he meant Jell-O wrestling.

MikaelaArsenault and Pinknik like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It looks really stupid. I bet it doesn’t last.

I guessed from watching the promos for it that it had to be Asian based in terms of inspiration. It seemed like their kind of thing.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is basically "The Voice" without the spinning chairs: the identity of the singers is hidden until a surprising reveal. Stupid and lame.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Jell-O wrestling, you say?

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Between THIS and a show called "The Resident" ....WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?
    A show called, "The People Who Had Eye-Balls For Heads"?!?!?!??!
    [​IMG]

10. jeffgurnicz

jeffgurnicz Member

I think the concept and execution are just crazy enough to work. It has the built-in hook of people trying to figure out the identities.

MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  11. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Good article about this show in the Washington Post.

I watched it last night, and honestly it wasn't bad. It's super weird but I think American TV needs that - something out of the box, even if this is just superficially so.

And Nicole Scherzinger is super hot.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It might last *because* it's stupid. Worse shows have been on the air for many years.

All these shows are pre-scripted for maximum drama. I'll never understand what the allure is of watching manufactured as being spontaneous and unpredictable when it's the complete opposite.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I will pass on this one.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a big WTF?

Vidiot likes this.
  15. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel called.

16. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Probably the signal to the end of civilization, but I'm watching anyway. Oddly entertaining.

17. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The ratings for the first episode were very strong, so it will probably be around awhile.

18. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I caught a few minutes of this show...….tough to watch.

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The idea that Ken Jeong, Jenny McCarthy and Nicole Scherzinger will be judging singers is odd, or are they just trying to figure out who they are? Are the "masked singers" supposed to all actually be good singers or just celebrities? The celebrity aspect itself would not grab me at all.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  20. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I imagine that it won't be the crème de la crème of celebrities who compete, so it stands to reason that the judges wouldn't be the crème de la crème of celebrity either.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it’s more just the celebrity angle with the “vocal” ability something they can base a “judgment” on. It’s a stupid premise if you ask me, but seems like it’s a hit, so what do I know?

MikaelaArsenault and Osato like this.
  22. John54

John54 Senior Member

If the celebrities have 65 Grammy nominations between them then some of them are already singers, aren't they?

23. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I can't stand any of these kinds of shows. "American Idol", "Dancing With the Stars" and "America's Got Talent" (all of which somebody in my family has watched) constitute my own private form of waterboarding. Which means this one will probably be a hit too.

24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Super dumb. She’s only there to make Jenny McCarthy appear somewhat intelligent by comparison.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

A flower!