New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Haven’t opened it yet. Curious

2. I have the Original Ummagumma and the new reissue. The "new" one wins by a mile or more imo.

3. HiFi Guy 008

I’ve heard only a 1980’s US pressing and it’s dead quiet. But dead sounding. Glad to read the new one is good.

I’ve been given Dark Side Of The Moon, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. If you were me, would you swap any of these for another such as Obscured or More? I have mint pressings of Wall and MFSL Atom Heart Mother.

4. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

In the grand scheme of vinyl costs these are reasonably priced and sound good - buy / keep the ones you like and don’t get hung up about originals v rereleases. OBC and More are nicely done but only if you like the actual music!

Gary

rontoon likes this.
  5. zoldar

zoldar Well-Known Member

Since the reissues are sourced from a 24/96 transfer my queetion is thus:

My very first contact with pink floyd was in 89 when I beard delicate sound of thunder. It has a special place in my heart.

The original vinyl pressing is bonkers expensive and the reissue seems to have its own problems.

I would prefer to have a 24/96 download. Is there anyone available or forthcomming?

I also wonder how this album was originaly mastered back in 88. Was it stil on analogue tape or already on digital?

The immersion version high res files were fine a couple of years back. By contrast, wywh sacd stereo was lacklustre and seemed sourced from a bad tape.

Hope there is some way to improve upon the cd of delicate sound of thunder, my start of music and hifi passion.

6. I dont feel qualified to answer your question and i would hate to be the cause of your possible regrets! The cost of More and Obscured is not high in France. Why not just add them to your collection?

7. HiFi Guy 008

Thanks. I'm looking for the best of the best of these reissues. Seems like DSOTM has a smooth velvet finish on the cover.
    I have the 30th. The sound is smooth velvet finish and detailed and a dead quiet pressing.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I would say, considering the difficulty level of finding a clean original, More is a big winner in this campaign. I've only heard 73 and 75 Harvest versions, and real originals from UK or even US are very rare. The reissue sounds great and unless you're a completist or a huge fan of the album, the reissue should satisfy most listeners.

OBC is also up there, probably better than my 70's US copy. Oh yeah, Relics is also really, really good. Definitely compares favorably to an original UK pressing. Relics may be the best of the bunch, highly recommended.

9. Thanks, I have these added to my to-buy list along with Ummagumma and OBC.

Thanks to Music Matters, they all got bumped down the list in priority a bit, but I will get them in time.

I do wish we’d see some AAA Floyd stuff...

TheSeldomSeenKid and ODShowtime like this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I also recommend Animals.........I've gone through 3 or 4 early US pressings, because noisy vinyl really gets on my nerves. I like the sound of the 2016 and the quiet vinyl. :edthumbs:

11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

More soundtrack is also in the top tier of this reissue campaign in terms of SQ and improvments. :agree:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  12. I received WYWH and ANIMALS just now from Purolator. With DSOTM that makes 3. Only 16 more to go. Haha! I did order MEDDLE and OBC, but those were special order and won't arrive for another 2 weeks. That then puts me at 5 with 14 more to go. I suspect it'll take me to the end of the year to acquire them all.

I made a list for myself as I wanted to know exactly the titles in this reissue program. I posted it below as maybe it'll be of some value to others.

Studio Albums:
    1. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
    2. A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
    3. More (1969)
    4. Ummagumma (1969)
    5. Atom Heart Mother (1970)
    6. Meddle (1971)
    7. Obscured by Clouds (1972)
    8. The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    9. Wish You Were Here (1975)
    10. Animals (1977)
    11. The Wall (1979)
    12. The Final Cut (1983)
    13. A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
    14. The Division Bell (1994)
    15. The Endless River (2014)

Compilation Albums:
    16. Relics (1971)
    17. A Collection of Great Dance Songs (1981)

Live Albums:
    18. Delicate Sound of Thunder (1988)
    19. Pulse (1995)

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think this is an album that benefits better to play digitally, as would seem like a pain to flip Sides and Records to interrupt the listening experience. I prefer to listen to it on Headphones while lying in bed prior to going to sleep but YMMV and just my take on it.

I do not like 'The Final Cut'(The Final Leftovers?), as find the Songs Tuneless, so never bought the CD(although technically own it, since it was part of the 'Oh By the Way' CD Box Set), and The Collection of Dance Songs seems pointless to me so never bought the CD, and skipped that Vinyl Reissue. The way people rave about 'Pulse' Vinyl Box Set, you might want to get that one yet in case it sells out faster, although it is still available last time I checked.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

It breaks my heart seeing Floyd fans dig on the Final Cut. It's among my favorites of theirs.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What I chose last year, I'm satisfied.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  16. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Give me TFC over AMLOR & TDB and don't even get started on Endless River.

As far as consistency although I admit there are greater songs on The Wall some of their best, TFC is a much more consistent listen, if only Not Now John wasn't on it though, the only track I dislike and it sticks out like a sore thumb, remove that and keep WTTBF and it would be perfect.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

Sorry, but I find it tuneless. Also The Wall was already bloated and really only about 40% Good Music to me. Do not misunderstand my take on it though, as any bashing of Waters, as I do love 'Animals'(maybe my favorite PF Album) and he started to control more of the Music made by PF on that Album from what I have read(I got into PF around 2003-04, as after a few years hearing some comparison to a few Songs on 'OK Computer', or at least the Song, 'Lucky' and 'The Asphalt World Song by Suede, I decided to check out PF Catalog, as used to be turned off by the Songs 'Wish You Were Here'-just the Song as love the Album, and 'Money' I heard on Classic Rock Radio in the 1990s, but after hearing 'One of These Days' and 'Echoes' I became a Fan and really loved their Early Years of Psychedelic-Rock & Space-Rock, so love the 4 Live Songs part of 'Ummagumma').

I also like Waters' Song 'The Embryo'(well the Live BBC longer version, as the studio 3+ Minutes version is more bland in comparison, but not that bad) and other Songs on Wish You Were Here Album. I just did not care for the Bloated Music on a lot of The Wall and did not need even the Leftovers on 'The Final Cut', but hey, we all have different taste in Music, so if you like TFC, then that is up to you. Obviously, 'The Final Cut and most of The Wall are Waters Solo Albums under the PF Name, just like 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' is really a Gilmour Solo Album, but I liked that Album at least as 6 of 10 and with Richard Wright back for 'The Division Bell' and Mason also having his Drums used, thought it was a really Good PF Album.

eyeCalypso and rontoon like this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

The Endless River is a nice derivative of several early Pink Floyd Songs, so not sure why any PF Fan would not like that Album at least enough to play once in awhile, unless being mostly instrumental music bothers you, but give me the Guitar of Gilmour and the Keyboards of Wright any day over the Lyrics of Waters, as if I cared more about Lyrics, I would just buy Poetry Books.

I also prefer Gilmour's Solo Albums overall to Waters, although 'On an Island' needed more variety, as gets a little boring throughout all of the Songs of the entire Album in one listen, but YMMV. I loved 'Rattle That Lock' though, except 'The Girl in the Yellow Dress' does not fit on that Album with the other Songs-IMO.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  19. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I'm with you on The Wall, but we must have very different ears because I think The Final Cut is quite melodic, and incredibly moving.

20. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Well, that's the wonderful thing about Pink Floyd. Like the Beatles, everyone will have a favourite. Even of the same album, different people will have different opinions on the various versions.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well I have these on vinyl in the recent series. They are all nicely done and I will try and complete the full set although the ones I do not have yet will probably not get much play. I did buy that big Division Bell box when it came out and that has a vinyl album in there. Probably really enough DB for me. The download included is nice to have though. Worth getting if folk can find it is the mono Piper. Relics is great as I thought that might be consigned to history.
    Studio Albums:
    1. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
    2. A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
    3. More (1969)
    4. Ummagumma (1969)
    5. Atom Heart Mother (1970)
    6. Meddle (1971)
    7. Obscured by Clouds (1972)
    8. The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    9. Wish You Were Here (1975)
    10. Animals (1977)
    11. The Wall (1979)
    16. Relics (1971)
    19. Pulse (1995)

pexie, eyeCalypso and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  23. Although I wasn't originally interested in this reissue program as I have well over 40, if not 50, various copies on LP/CD/SACD. But the more I thought of it and the more I heard about the quality of this program, the more I became interested in wanting to own the complete set of titles offered. I'm not normally a completist, preferring to pick and choose only those titles that appeal to me, but...it's Pink Floyd. :)

rontoon likes this.
  24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just curious is the new Pulse vinyl box a limited set

drum_cas likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Special band and I bought the whole lot on cd in a nice box in mini sleeves from Japan when they were recently issued. I actually only care for the albums up to and including Animals but there are not too many post Animals albums and I did buy them all back when they were initially released.

rontoon and Johnny Vinyl like this.