Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I guess I pretty much did the same thing......my wife loved it, but she is a very casual fan.

joelee likes this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Same story with my wife.

joelee and Dr. Funk like this.
  3. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I loved it but then I wasn't expecting it to be the honest realistic story of Freddie's life. BR has done for Queen what Mama Mia did for ABBA: cemented the legacy of Queen for future generations. They are good businessmen for sure. You just have to look at the Youtube comments from young people emotional about Mercury. It did its job. Freddie would have loved it.

RocksOff87, Peace N. Love and seeknom like this.
  4. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I would like to see a sequel showing Queen's final years. It could end with Freddie singing The Show Must Go on.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That'd be a real crowd-pleaser!

"Hey chief, people loved our movie about how awesome Queen was - let's make one the ends with the singer's tragic death!" :laugh:

GodShifter and rontoon like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Sex Pistols would make a fascinating bio pic.

7. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Given that "Bohemian Rhapsody" finishes with Live Aid, theres not much left to tell except Freddie dying and how it led to the last three albums and the Tribute concert! Hardly what you would call a blockbuster feel-good movie.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Yeah, that's my point. All the people who think there'll be a sequel seem to ignore the fact there's only 6 years left in FM's life post-"BR" and it's not exactly a fun story.

I could maybe see a prequel about FM's youth, but that's it. I'd be shocked if they tried to do a true sequel...

GodShifter likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it’d be foolish to try and do a sequel (or prequel) for this, but $ talks. Still, I don’t see it happening.

10. Oatsdad

It's indeed the $ that open the possibility - "BR" did so well that the studio has to want to milk that cow some more.

Which is why I think it's possible - if unlikely - they try "Freddie: The Teen Years" or something like that.

Of course, that'd leave out most of what "BR" successful: the Queen music. They'd have to figure out some way to shoehorn in the songs...

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Good point. The music is what made it. What if they did his last years with heavy flashbacks to his youth a la Godfather Part II? I mean, there's no really obvious way to do a good sequel, but I'd go and see it, whatever they did, as long as it was loaded with Queen songs.

12. Peace N. Love

I enjoyed it, being a casual fan. And, really, the fact that the story was written by Peter Morgan was a warning re. accuracy. Morgan has largely made his name on heavily fictionalized versions of true stories. Very enjoyable ones, but Morgan always seems to feel his own version is better than reality. :)

Dr. Funk likes this.
  13. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I would only be a little surprised to see a sequel. It is hollywood standard operating procedure. However - the usual sequel being a near repeat of the original would be stretching it in this case.
    My guess is that we will see other rock/pop bio pics come out. That is also hollywood standard operating procedure.

14. Oatsdad

More rock star biopics seems like a much more likely result of the film's success than a proper "BR" sequel or prequel. As we've discussed, there's just no real room for it to go anywhere in a satisfying manner...

rontoon likes this.
  15. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

95% of the time there is no room for a sequel in a satisfying manner. That does not stop anyone from doing it.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ziggy Stardust would be a no brainer. But who could play DAVID Bowie ?

rontoon likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Disagree - most movies leave ample space for another chapter of some sort. Very few are so finite that they can't find more room to grow.

And with "BR", there could be a sequel that looks at Freddie's final years - it just doesn't seem like that'd be a crowd-pleasing option that pursues the same reasons "BR" was a hit.

Or there could be the aforementioned prequel that looks at Freddie's youth - it'd be more positive but it'd be harder to shoehorn Queen music into that story.

I guess they could always decide to take a chapter from "BR" and do an "expanded version" - base an entire movie around a year or 2 rather than spread out across more than a decade like "BR" did - but it'd seem weird that they'd cover the same territory in a "sequel"...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The sequel would be called "Queen: Who Wants to Live Forever" and in it the members of Queen try to continue with Adam Lambert (James Franco) who is visited and be-friended by the ghost of Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek).

At first Freddie is annoyed by Lambert and tries scaring him away using over the top 'ghost tactics.' But over time Freddie decides to give Adam a break if he agrees to help Freddie find a missing gold cat statue Freddie had stored his most 'prized possession' in.

Over the course of the tour, Adam has to break into various illegal art dealers (including the home of Paul Rodgers) searching for the missing cat with the ghost of Freddie goofing on him as he shimmies down ropes and crawls through sewers and other humiliating situations.

Then one day Adam discovers the cat statue in the dressing room of Brian May and freaks out! He asks the ghost of Freddie why he didn't know May had it... and Freddie says 'oh I knew all along.' This angers Adam so he picks up the statue and throws it against the wall where it shatters. And inside on a piece of paper is written the word 'friendship.' "Friendship!?!?!" screams Adam. "Of course," says the ghost of Freddie. "I had to know you were the type of person I could be friends with. And now I know you are. " (cue "You're My Best Friend" which Adam and the ghost of Freddie sing together).

I'm going to start a go fund me page for this. Who's got $40 million to make it? :)

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Come on, this would NEVER be considered for a movie!!! But a sure bet for a Netflix series! :righton:

Scopitone and ampmods like this.
  20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I would but you already gave the spoilers.

Scopitone and ampmods like this.
  21. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

This is great. Who plays Mary Austin? Helen Mirren? :p

Scopitone, rontoon and ampmods like this.
  22. Peace N. Love

Was listening to "Khashoggi's Ship" the other day. I know it's not loved by everyone, but what I find so appealing about it is the sheer sense of defiance in the face of his demise. Although a movie about FM's final years would be a downer in many respects, perhaps his show-must-go-on, no-one-stops-my-party attitude would imbue the story with enough positivity to give it some of the same uplifting vibe that BR has. Also, as someone else noted, "Show Must Go On" could be used more prominently, rather than as 2nd song over the credits in BR. Peter Morgan can invent a farewell concert where they do it live. :)

23. Peace N. Love

I'm in for $1M if you introduce Simon Cowell as a villainous foil who tries to thwart Adam at every turn.

rontoon, ampmods and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Apparently, DVD, Bluray etc will be out on Feb. 12:

QueenOnline.com - News

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Bohemian Rhapsody Arrives on Digital and Movies Anywhere January 22 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD February 12
    Includes Complete “Live Aid” Movie Performance Not Seen in Theaters

January release wasn't that off the mark after all, grabbing it on the 22nd. Looking forward to the extras.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Peace N. Love likes this.