Record shop's "Rules": what do you think?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by RiRiIII, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would these "rules" listed in a brick & mortar record shop's blog, make you want to visit and buy, or not?

Thanks.

1) We are selling vinyl records, not cd’s. In fact, we are not selling either turntables, posters nor alternative vinyl bowls for your fruits.

2) Kindly respect the records. Do not move them around without a reason. Chop your fingernails & wash you greasy, filthy hands.

3) Prices are written in red. Do not switch the price stickers, because we are watching you… and we can advise our useful reports.

4) The used 45’s are priced from 1 to 3 euros, unless there is a sticker. If you find one without a price, please ask us and we will tell the truth.

5) In the bathroom, under the sink, we collect trash bags not trash.

6) The reserved records you might have must not exceed one bag. And this is only for those who visit us on a weekly basis or for those that we personally allow to have that flexibility.

7) For the above reason, if you don’t proceed with your clearance, we cannot reserve nor order any new records for you.

8) Some of you are our friends, some our clients, some both. We are polite, but if you insist on taking advantage of our tolerance, we will invade into your homes to ruin your record collection. Please respect our limits.

9) Dimos is usually right. Sometimes his judgment gets clouded, when he refers to Olympiakos & greek eastern music.

10) Angelos doesn’t listen to greek eastern music but he is responsible for the mess under the stairs. You can tip him for his excellent shoe shining.

11) If you are patient and obedient, Rock & Roll Circus will do anything to reward you. Vinyl records are your best entertainment value

UNQUOTE

2. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

That wouldn’t stop me shopping there. Nothing wrong with honesty and at least the records on sale should be in good condition.
    If they said it specifically to me, to my face, that would be a different story.

groovelocked, nosliw, Tuco and 3 others like this.
  3. bobc

bobc Bluesman

All good fun. I'd go and browse and probably buy something I've already got.

I presume this shop is in Athens (not Georgia)?

tmtomh, Fullbug and RiRiIII like this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love it.

5. Depends if these signs are tongue in cheek and on the sense of humor of the staff, if they're intended as being taken seriously and the staff are rude or short with people I definitely wouldn't buy anything from there.

(Unless their prices are dirt cheap ;))

6. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

That's the problem with vinyl, it brings out the worst in people.

At least the last three rules take the edge off of that madness a little. It's also a relief that they turn out to be greek and not german. ;)

hvbias, izgoblin, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Long list, too many words — pretty much guarantees most people won't even look at it. You know, TLDR.

8. Pretty much the norm, unspoken in most cases

hutlock likes this.
  9. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

"Greek to Me" ?

10. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

If pricing, product condition, and customer service were all good; they'd have me as a regular customer.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The 'Cheeky Monkey' shop in Sarnia, Ontario has a lengthy notice posted on the wall by the LPs instructing the customers how to leave the LPs standing in the racks (straight and upright - 90° angle, NOT leaning at a lesser angle).

For example (note: this imagine is NOT the Cheeky Monkey store, but if it was) the bin closest to the front of the photo is totally unacceptable and worthy of a reprimand and the blue bin closest to the back of the photo is correct.

[​IMG]

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I'm thinking of The Five Man Electrical Band.

Christian Hill, WMTC and majorlance like this.
  13. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Grab a bite at Ed Debevic's then go browse some vinyl.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Isn't it crazy to actually write that the client must be obedient (if I had not read the greek text I would have thought that they are lost in translation)? This is not just silly (like this thing about ruining their clients'/friend collections) or embarassing ("wash you greasy, filthy hands"). I know the guys and I am so surprised.

bluejimbop and L.P. like this.
  15. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Haha me too; great song!

16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I always try to make sure I leave a browsed section at as much at 90’ as possible.

grapenut likes this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The way some people handle records... phew. I don't blame them. Classic rock guys seem to be the worst. It's like they become totally lost trying to put the plastic outer sleeve back over the LP.

18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Unfortunately the majority of record store owners are a-holes. I still go into their shops. I want their records, not their company.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd think they were too far up their own butts and wouldn't bother going to their store since I have plenty of other options for buying music.

20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If I was visiting Greece and saw this in an Athens vinyl shop I’d think it good fun. The guys obviously have a sense of humour with the references to things like soccer team Olympiakos (I guess the others don’t like soccer or support someone like Panathanaikos instead).

AlienRendel likes this.
  21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I guess its ok for a small individual proprietorship but a lot of it is unprofessional and might make me want to shop elsewhere.

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Honestly, I find this sort of message annoying ...it just gives the customer the impression that the shop staff regard him or her with simmering resentment & insufficiently-repressed hostility. If I really wanted or needed to peruse their stock it wouldn't put me off.

23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

So so true. As much as I love looking at records "in the flesh", I avoided quite a few shops because the owners were jerks. Not coincidentally those shops are out of business.

RiRiIII likes this.
  24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I don't know if I'd use such an extreme word, but it's been a long time since I dealt with a "kind and courteous" one.

25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Honestly, this reads more tongue-in-cheek to me, with some basic etiquette about record shopping thrown in.

Because really, having done my share of visits to record shops and fairs, there is something of a Black Friday vibe, depending on how busy the shop gets. Just browsing gets annoying when people don't understand the notion of personal space, or planting themselves at one rack to slooooooowly peruse the selections.

"Wash your filthy, greasy hands" - not bad advice. These are records, not iPhones with Spotify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.