Record shop's "Rules": what do you think?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by RiRiIII, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Interesting. I'm curious as to your methodology used to arrive at this conclusion, such as what sample size did you use, your approach to the analysis, etc.? Can I see a variance report?

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

"obedient"

not a very friendly word to use with a customer

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

So true, but why not write "In case you forgot to do it, please make sure your hands are not filthy or greasy before touching our valuable records"

bluejimbop likes this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

HA! I think it's written in a tongue in cheeky kind of way..
    Perhaps they've had product ruined, and some real pinheads in the past .. Yeah, its different.. but if they have the stuff, it would not keep me away.
    The idea that you can reserve something in a bag, and apparently buy it within a week is quite a bonus I'd say.

5. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

How could you NOT shop at a shop like this? In reality, there are probably a few ground rules in there, cushioned with some sarcasm. I can dig this.

If this is all true, how could you not frequent a record shop owned and operated by this man?

[​IMG]

6. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Bollocks to that.

Christian Hill likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Like most of this forum has been in countless shops for decades? :rolleyes:

rockinlazys and izgoblin like this.
  8. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

“Worthy of a reprimand”, really? Isn’t it the job of the staff to keep bins stocked so there’s not enough space for the records to be leaning crazily / getting warped? I try and keep records upright, but if there’s a whole bunch of them leaning I’m not gonna work my way back to the back of the bin painstakingly correcting the tilt. The staff can stop discussing the best bass player in Gentle Giant or whatever and do some stock maintainance!

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Ah, I see. Then may I suggest a word for the day: Anecdotal - The logical fallacy of using a personal experience instead of a sound argument.

10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I think they should be lucky to have any customers in their shop in the first place. This isn't Tower Records in 1980, and the internet is a very convenient place to get anything you want. If it's intended as tongue-in-cheek, maybe seeing the actually sign would give it more context and I could laugh it off. Otherwise, as somebody who is just getting into vinyl again, this place would be a hard pass. I don't need attitude when I'm giving you my money, and that goes for any purchase, not just music.

bluejimbop and ccbarr like this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That kind of tone makes it sound like tongue-in-cheek IMO. You said this was a blog post?

I've seen kind of similar 'house rules' type postings in stores, they're usually jokes.

I should add, if I got the impression they were serious, I would not set foot in there. The 'Soup Nazi' approach only works if you have an absolute monopoly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Lost In The Flood and RiRiIII like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Hey, until you buy the records are the store's property. So treat THEIR property with respect. And as long as you are in THEIR STORE, you must follow the rules or leave. I am totally with the rule givers here.

sixtiesstereo, Markyp and therunner like this.
  13. Einar Einarsson Kvaran

Einar Einarsson Kvaran King of his castle

I am never attracted to rules.
    And librarians (probably others too) learn that the more stuff you post the less folks will read them.

14. Wally Swift

I've been frequenting one shop since the 1980's. I've spent a LOT of money with this guy. We did the same record shows in the 90's. We both had long standing relationships with a family of record dealers all of whom have passed away. I've never once given this guy an ounce of trouble and have never once returned an album or CD. I have occasionally had reason to. Last year I purchased a common, NM record for $8. It was a few months before I cleaned and listened to it and it was unlistenable. Noise throughout. So I'm in there one day after I discovered this and I ask him if he could put the next copy that comes in aside for me and next time I will bring back the copy I already bought. Flat out "no". And after all these decades he still refuses to let me use the restroom when no one else is in the shop. Supreme A-HOLE. But he gets a lot of great records all the time. So I keep my mouth shut and buy.

15. Wally Swift

Numerous personal experiences.

16. Wally Swift

Who remembers Freddie from Memory Lane Records in Baldwin?

rockinlazys likes this.
  17. Wally Swift

or Neal from Agents of Fortune in Massapequa Park? Another piece of work.

rockinlazys likes this.
  18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Anyone who has any kind of job in communication and design knows that. Most people have enough trouble heeding one-word signs like STOP and EXIT; I can't believe anyone really expects them to stop and read long lists and paragraphs posted in public places.

19. Wally Swift

I tempted to mention another Long Island legend but I won't because in recent years he's acknowledged his a-holeness back in the day and apologized.

bluejimbop likes this.
  20. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Seems like it was written tongue and cheek. I like people with a sense of humour so I would go there because of their quirky rules.

21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Am I the only one who heard the voice of Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons" in my head while reading these "rules?"

22. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I am a transplanted New Yorker and your experience just seems like what I would expect for a vintage vinyl store in the city.

MKHopkins likes this.
  23. Wally Swift

That shop is on Long Island. City is just as bad. The owner of Rocket Scientist? Another gem.

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, but would they afford to throw anybody out in case he/she does not follow the rules? I seriously doubt. And imagine that these rules are not in display in the record store AFAIK, but only published in their blog, i.e. not even applicable to their clients purchasing records from them on-line, while a considerable (more or less) percentage of the ones visiting their blog will be discouraged to buy from them. Isn't it silly? Where is the added the value, it fails me.

bluejimbop likes this.
  25. darling

darling Senior Member

Here's Val Shivley's shop just outside Philadelphia:
    Val Shively: the Emperor of Oldies

[​IMG]

Just in case you can't read everything:

We're closed if:

- You're soliciting
    - You don't know what you want
    - You don't have any money
    - You can't understand this sign

We're open if:
    - You know what you want
    - You have money
    - You're easy to deal with.

NEW RULES:
    5 Minutes and you're gone.

No idiots

Come on in - everything else has gone wrong.

If you think no one cares about you try missing a couple of payments.

Do not enter (unless you know what you want!)

Free bible - ask inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.