What's so great about Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jan 3, 2019.

1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Obviously you haven't heard the Rolling Stones. The Telecaster is the most versatile of the Fender line. Twang is just one thing that guitar can do, and it doesn't take much research to hear what players have done with it.

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

We're getting off topic, but the Telecaster neck pickup doesn't sound very twangy to me, especially with the tone rolled off slightly. It is quite feasible to get a credible jazz tone from a Tele. I just find them awkward to handle.

googlymoogly and Fender Relic like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I can't answer the OP's question, but Sonic Youth sure made some noise with those guitars.
    [​IMG]

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:laugh: OK,other issues.

5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Please explain awkward to handle.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

A bit of an unfair comparison, IMHO. There can be many reasons for this from how this was recorded/mixed to which amp was used. In this video, I think I see a Fender Silverface head being used but can't make out which one. Kind of sounds as if the Treble is on 10 and Bass is at 0. Little mids in that sound, too. But again, could be many things ; tired tubes, coldly biased amp, mic that was used, etc.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've heard terrific sounding tracks featuring all of the usual suspects so I'm unconvinced about the sound deficiencies that are being discussed.

Sounds good in this video, for instance. In fact, the Telecaster while distinct is more recessed and the Jazzmaster sounds quite good and lyrical.

7. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Mickey Baker rocked and jazzed out with Jazzmaster's since the beginning, 1959.

linklinc, samsondale, polchik and 8 others like this.
  8. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

Good call ! Allegedly, Page used a Flying V for You Shook Me.

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have heard The Rolling Stones. Every album. Do I like them? No, aside from one album. I don't like the natural tone of a Telecaster. Nothing can change that other than hearing a different guitar.

10. Lownote30

With the tone on that one, a Flying V would make more sense.

11. Lownote30

I don't know any jazz players who play a Tele as their main guitar. I don't like the tone of Telecasters. That includes the neck pickup.

12. Lownote30

Indeed! :p

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

The late great Danny Gatton.

14. Lownote30

Okay. I will concede that Danny Gatton was a great guitar player, and I definitely don't mind listening to him. Danny didn't just play jazz, though. He was more of a fusion type guy. Wikipedia puts it like this... "American guitarist who fused blues, rockabilly, jazz, and country to create a musical style he called "redneck jazz". Either way, he used custom pickups in his Tele that drastically altered the tonality of the guitar.

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

No not drastically altered. Have you heard stock Fender pickups side by side with Joe Bardens, what Danny used or any other aftermarket pickups? Tele's can play all styles easily, amplification and the player will change the color.

Another player was Jimmy Bryant who was very jazz inspired and oriented as well as his crazy hillbilly country.

Fender Relic likes this.
  16. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. always has made the Jazzmaster (along with many pedals) sound cool imo. In this vid he tells an interesting story about how he came to own a Jazzmaster.

17. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

From Guitar World :

"It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Gibson Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I could afford it, because I clearly couldn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. It might’ve found its way to Keith Richards or something, but I really don’t know."

Led Vault: Jimmy Page Talks First Three Led Zeppelin Albums, Gibson and Harmony Guitars and More

18. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Elvis Costello at one time used a Strat but had difficulty playing it. He stumbled onto the Jazzmaster, which he originally thought was a modified Strat that was “way better than mine.” Costello loved the Jazzmaster tremolo, which he said gives the guitar a “Spy Fy Sound” and used it to great effect on songs like “Watching the Detectives.”

Also, it is my understanding that punk & new wave bands started using Jazzmasters because pawn shops & guitar shops sold second hand versions much cheaper than a Strat.

19. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

20. Devin

Devin Time's Up

In my opinion his tone has less to do with the guitar and more to do with the vintage Electro-Harmonix Triangle and Ram's Head Big Muff fuzz pedals he uses. They make that Jazzmaster scream.

21. Lownote30

I have heard stock Fender pickups in a Tele, and I've disliked them all. Joe Bardens sound different and better to me. Danny also designed his own electronics, and I imagine that affected his tone. I agree that a degree of the tone is going to be in how the players style leans, but with a Tele, it just sounds like a Tele, and country-ish to me. I don't like that sound. I agree that amplification can color the tone as well, but I don't care what amp is being used, A Les Paul is going to sound better to me just plugged straight into any amp than a Tele. It's just my opinion.

22. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Jazzmaster neck pickups have a deeper, wamer, more piano-y sound. The tremolo is fabulous: great range of motion up and down, with a pop-in arm. Finally, in addition to SY, Wilco and Dinosaur Jr., the frontman of the second-greatest band of all time, Swervedriver, only plays JMs. My Bloody Valentine and Stereolab also made AMAZING records primarily on these guitars. -E

Lamus, Suncola, Boulder Bob and 5 others like this.
  23. Right on! I've owned/played/lived with all of what I refer to as- the 4 foundational Fenders. Each one has their unique value and with modern changes there are endless variations & possibilities out there now. For both the Jazz & Jag new replacement parts, like the great Mastery Bridge, have revolutionized their playability massively! Way back when Mojo Guitars in the East Village NYC put in a Gibson bridge for me (as they did for Thurston & Lee of Sonic Youth) & it made all the difference.

For many years I was Strat & Jazz (and a Rick 360-12 and Martin D-18) as my main axes. Was later on I found my way into the Gibson & Gretsch worlds too... at the time Strat was my far Fender sound & I preferred the Jazz over the Gibson or Gretsch options heading towards warmer, creamier sounds ...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    zphage, linklinc, Lamus and 1 other person like this.
  24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Those are some amazing worlds to explore.

I was considering an aftermarket bridge for my Squier Jag, but cheaped out and bought some Loctite instead. All good.

linclink likes this.
  25. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

He often uses ... semi-clean tones. ;) I think you can hear the JM character in a lot of his stuff (and some of his recordings feature Teles and the occasional Gibson), and then there's his trem work. -E

Devin likes this.