'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Yeah I agree..but believe me at the end of the day it is all about how it sounds! I am right there with you guys. The best thing is that we have a nice heavy gatefold..nothing worse than 50 dollar albums in flimsy sleeves..

Santo10, 3083joe and Josquin des Prez like this.
  2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

There's also a 180g version of this on Cisco that sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That's the one I have. It is good.

taynos likes this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have that and its good enough for my ears too but I dont think its at MM or even AP levels for what its worth....it is a really fabulous session and could probably do with a redo IMHO.

3083joe, riverrat and taynos like this.
  5. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Exciting news. Pre-ordered the two titles at MD.

6. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

This 1980 LT cover is actually the original , isn't it ? The sixties-style covers of the LT series only came later.

Fender Relic and Mugrug12 like this.
  7. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Anyone found these in Europe/UK yet?

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I believe you're correct. I got mine out to play today. The LP is nice but I forgot there's a big hole punch thru cover. I guess that means I need the new RI....right?

timriepe and AmiV like this.
  9. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Honestly what throws me over the edge are those beautiful gate folds..

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

It seems that Amazon Canada doesnt have these yet. It will cost me $26 CAD in shipping and duty costs for these first 2 records if I order through the American site. If anyone comes across a Canadian distributer please post here
    I thought this was an international deal. $13 bucks a record is not fatal but it will add up if I buy 15 records.

It also looks like the full list will not be available for purchase all at once as that would reduce shipping costs too.

calgary669 likes this.
  11. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

I want the full list ASAP I am so curious...

12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

It is an international deal. It’s uMe they are worldwide! You will probably just need to wait a little bit, that is all.

Stu02 and Twinsfan007 like this.
  13. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I am sure they will show up on our version of Amazon!

Stu02 likes this.
  14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

these are showing up on Amazon UK for £34.70, but showing as not available when you click the link! hmm

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They’re not available until Feb. 8.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well, I have the Connoisseur version, and it does have the nice cover, but curious to how the Tone Poet version will compare in sound. I think there's been some debate over the Connoisseur's being analog or digitally sourced, but Etcetera sounds pretty good regardless. Some of the other Connoisseurs I have sound a bit "splashy" on the high end.

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Played my (blue label/white b) OG Etcetera today and...meh, I'm on the fence about spending $35 to replace it. It's a very good album but not my favorite and it's in VG+ cond.. I think I'll just hold tight and spend the $'s on an SRX or another Tone Poet title that I don't already have.

recstar24 and Mugrug12 like this.
  18. funkyfriendwow

funkyfriendwow Member

Gonna order the Chick Corea album. I'm really hoping for Smokestack by Andrew Hill, one of my top 5 jazz albums. It could use the clarity of a good remaster. Joe hinted at an Andrew Hill album in the MM thread and it's likely Black fire, which is still good of course. I'm excited for this series, there are so many avant garde jazz albums that deserve to have quality reissues that MM understandably did not do.

kevinsponge and Joe Harley like this.
  19. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

But there is no pre-order option either.

I’m sure they will turn up somehow, but I do hope it is sooner rather than later.

Jellis77 likes this.
  20. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

AFAIK, there's never been an all-analog release of Stanley Turrentine's Z.T.'s Blues. Recorded September 13, 1961; but even the original release in 1985 was a McMaster digital remaster.

Turrentine, Grant Green, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers, and Art Taylor! A murderers' row on this session!

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Jack Wilson is criminally underrated and would be a great candidate for a Tone Poet series. Something Personal or Easterly Winds would be a cool to hear with Kevin’s mastering. I wonder if there’s anything else by him sitting in the BN vaults?

StevenTounsand likes this.
  22. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Pre-ordered Wayne Shorter ‘Etcetera’ and Chick Corea ‘Now He Sings, Now He Sobs’. I’ve been streaming both albums since I’ve not heard either and they’re great. Been wanting to get some Blue Note audiophile albums that have not been reissued at a relatively reasonable price and the Tone Poet series appears to be my drug.

Joe Harley and Joti Cover like this.
  23. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I've got the Japanese King The Collector which is basically Et Cetera, but switches out "Toy Tune" for "The Collector." Even so, I am totally in on this Tone Poet version as The Collector may be my favorite Shorter album - and would love to have a version with that Joe Harley magic.

Joe Harley, Joti Cover and riverrat like this.
  24. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Very cool, where did you hear this?

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yeah, I have the Conn version of Etcetera, and I think it sounds just fine. Has "Wally" in the deadwax (Wally Traugott) so I'm virtually certain it is AAA. Here's some info that I posted awhile back, which in turn was cut and pasted from another SH member:

A: The first batch of 6 titles (or was it the first two batches?) were made from digital masters. The later ones were from analog. They stopped doing Connoisseur LPs after only 3 or 4 batches (of 6) of releases. These LPs did not sell well at all. Vinyl was not a big seller back then.

I was never able to get confirmation of exactly when the switchover was made. However, I have heard several of the suspected "digital" LPs and they sound very good to me. If you want to spin vinyl, these should suffice.

They were issued in batches of 6, spaced about 6 months apart. Here are the dates:
    1994-07-12
    Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole
    Andrew Hill - Judgment
    Bobby Hutcherson - Components
    Freddie Redd - The Connection
    Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
    Baby Face Willette - Stop And Listen

1994-09-20
    Tina Brooks - True Blue
    Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers
    Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop
    Johnny Griffin - The Congregation